back to article 2008's top three touchscreen phones

Following last year’s iPhone launch, there was a rush to release handsets based around touchscreens rather than buttons. That led to a profusion of offerings this year — but which ones tapped the right spot? HTC Touch HD So it’s not truly HD, but the HTC handset nonetheless has a better and bigger — 3.8in and 480×800 — …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tim Cook
    Dead Vulture

Oh dear

I'm sharing in the collected shame of all the commenters here, this article really doesn't deserve the attention and is unworthy of the Reg of old. Of course the iPhone is still the handset to beat, as your own story can't help but confirm, using it as the benchmark for both the other phones in this list - and no, neither of the also-rans are worth mentioning in the wider scheme of things, let alone placing at the top of the heap. In a year's time the Touch HD and the Renoir will both be long forgotten, replaced by any number of equally mediocre updates, while the iPhone platform looks set to go from strength to strength in 2009. Why? Because it's the best, it really is as simple as that, and no amount of fanboy denial is going to change that.

2. Spencer Davies
    Thumb Down

I would say the Samsung Omnia Is Better Than The Iphone

Some odd choices up there, Thats for sure.

My gripe is that the Omnia is not up there.

5 Megapixel Camera

8 or 16GB build in HDD

Windows Mobile (Dont know whether that is an advantage lol)

Wifi

Expandable Memory

Touch

Smile Detection

MMS SENDING *Cough Iphone*

Motion sensor

Office

Opera browser.

3. ccriste
    Paris Hilton

Not just a frigging phone.

It's not just a frigging phone.

It's also an iPod, a video player, a world clock, a calculator, a calendar, a camera, a compass, a level and measuring device, a units conversion, RSS news feed, a white page and yellow page phone book, contacts phone and address book, password generator, TV guide,weather report, stock report, dictionary, language translator, eBook reader, games/entertainment device, e-mailer, encyclopedia, a mobile shopping device, a locator device that can find places of interest for you like Starbucks, a gas station, restaurants, etc. With its gps you can track your path or find direction as you drive or walk around the city streets. You can easily calculate your dinner tip or how much you will save at Nordstrom at 30% off. It will identify an unknown song for you just by holding it to the speaker. You can keep current with the sports scores. There are much, much more you can do with this mini mobile computer that happens to have a phone to it. All of this made possible by Apple and third party developers.

It's not just a frigging phone.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Apple - grow up and buy one.?

"Apple - grow up and buy one."

Exactly the arrogant sort of comment you'd expect from a big percentage of apple users and endoresed by the company ... seriously its not the kit.. its the clan!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Re: Not just a frigging phone.

"There are much, much more you can do with this mini mobile computer that happens to have a phone to it. All of this made possible by Apple and third party developers."

So, it's like a PDA of old, then, updated a bit for the 21st century. I don't dispute the additional functionality - that's what the smartphone market is all about - and Apple aren't the only ones in that department, although I actually welcome their contribution since it has woken the incumbents from their stupor: ten level deep menus, useless options, "GSM nerd" functionality, and Java "Shit Edition" fixation.

But sheesh! Re-read your original remark and then tell us that you didn't sound like Nathan Barley!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ccriste et al

i can do 40% of those things in my head, 50% of those with my 4 year old p910 (oh sony, where are you now with a decent grown-up handset?) and the other 10% with a selection of other dedicated devices. yes of course the iphone is a very nice, and it does what it does in a very nice way, but that doesnt mean there arent other things out there that do more, are cheaper, or suit other people better. and please, if you need electronic help to deduct 30%, or find north based on where the sun is (as that ap does, the iphone doesn not have a compass), you really should have paid more attention in school.

A granny smith is a very nice fruit, but some people prefer bananas or oranges. that doesnt mean those people are wrong, or that they dont understand fruit, it just means they want something else. i want a new phone, but i dont want touchscreen-only (preferably qwerty), i want at least 2007-standard features (a2dp/gps/3+mpix), i dont want a blackberry, and unfortunately i want it on orange...fingers crossed for palm NEW-ness i guess.

oh and even actively shy away from calling it a 'mini mobile computer'

7. Norbury

re: not just a frigging phone

All of which I've been able to do (except maybe the spirit level - but I wouldn't want my phone near DIY) on Windows Smartphones before. I love the iPhone as I said before, but try to keep things in perspective eh? The only thing better about it is the user interface. That's great, and is why I love it, but it doesn't make it a topic of conversation.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great comments

I have to say that this is such a great comments section. I love the reactions of the vacuous air headed fanboys.

My particular favourite is "People envy me and my i-phone". Now if you had said "When I go to parties everyone wants to use my i-phone because the flat screen is just super for chopping out big rails" then I would have been a little more impressed. Instead I have visions of a monster nerd fest of fanboys.

Well done El Reg for igniting the flames!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I haven't used any of them,

but my current phone uses Windwoes Mobile, and a sorrier, less intuitive, less stable, buggier, more half-baked piece of crap I've yet to see. If you rate a Windwoes phone above something else - anything else, including a tin can and a piece of string, I have to seriously doubt the value of your judgement.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like