back to article Man trademarks ;-) emoticon

A Russian businessman has trademarked the combination of semicolon, dash and bracket that make up a winking face 'emoticon' in texts and emails. Oleg Teterin, President of mobile advertising company Superfone, doesn’t intend to stop the average Joe from using the linguistic emotion without his permission. But he will send …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dave
    Paris Hilton

Pillarbox Red

You'll find that the post office has trademarked a particular pantone reference, and tint of Red, Other companies and brands have done the same for the shade they like to be associated with.

I wouldn't surprised for instance if a certain Telecoms provider named after a certain citrus fruit which is also a colour, has trademarked that as well.

Now what would Paris trademark, hmmmm?

2. Seán

Clip Art

Surely it'd be cheaper or at least more satisfying to have this guy killed. it's a one off payment and definitely a more satisfying transaction. He started playing silly buggers after all.

3. ShaggyDoggy

@ Keith Oborn re IBM

Actually it was worse, they tried to trademark the slash /

Failed of course

4. Andreas
    Alert

Copyright Symbol

I'm going to copyright the copyright symbol...

5. Andreas
    Alert

...Trademark Symbol

...and trademark the trademark symbol, of course!

6. TeeCee Gold badge

@madra

Not just the Royal Mail. I know a chap in the aircraft painting business (that's painting aircraft, not painting pictures of aircraft).

His mob recently had a whole load of newly-painted yellow freight planes owned by a company in Germany sent in to be repainted. Apparently the yellow colour they chose was deemed a tad too close to Deutsche Post yellow for the German courts.

Off now to sue Mr Teterin for his blatant infringement of my trademark of the word "fuckwit".

7. Jason

What a....

Stupid Winker ;o)

8. OFI
    Thumb Down

Despair..

Just tried to 'buy' 999 'frownys' from Despairs website, but you can't...

"Sorry, but there's a $19.90 order minimum. Dr. Kersten isn't running an "Everything's 99 Cents" franchise, he's building an empire. And he can't keep himself in the latest gear with a bunch of $1 orders... "

I think it's a scam..

9. M Gale
    Pirate

Only applies to similiar products/services?

All this stuff about trademarks reminds me of a company that makes a fairly well known web browser. Apparently they changed the name because people might confuse a bit of software with a crap ancient car designed by Pontiac.

Jolly Roger, because the Intellectual Property lobby needs keel-hauling. Arr!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.