Feeds

back to article Why port your Firefox add-on to Internet Explorer?

Is there a good reason to build a browser add-on for Internet Explorer as well as Firefox? Yes, according to Microsoft IE evangelist Joshua Allen. Building an add-on for IE is so difficult, he said, your browser app competitors won't even bother. "It's harder to write apps for IE - so it's a harder market for competitors to get …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Linux

HAHA

Serves you right M$, you lock-in is now looking like lock-out for you muppets. Who in their right mind uses IE anyway ?

Bronze badge

@Jos

No, it's definetely a _hash_ .

Stop

@Jos Dave etc

It's hatch as in cross hatch. Not hash at all.

Linux

@Dr. Mouse

C++ Is alive and kicking and IMO really rather good. I would add fortran to Dr. mouse's list of REAL programming languages, which I spent most of yesterday using.

Why would I ever ever use IE??? Can't think of any reasons.

@ zenkaon

"Why would I ever ever use IE???"

To visit www.mozilla.com/firefox/ so that you could download firefox onto your new Windows box?

Ed

@Dr. Mouse

There are many real programming languages not on your list. This is not surprising, as computer language preference tends to be a personal thing - most of us prefer a language that works the way we think. Lisp, Forth, ML, and Scheme are all, from everything I've seen of them, very solid, real programming languages. The trouble with them is they work very differently from how I, you, and many other people think. But for those who do think like that, they're perfectly fine.

There are at least thousands of programming languages which are in use today, and probably tens of thousands. I've only personally encountered around a hundred enough to have any real opinion of them. Statistically speaking, there's probably at least another 10 real programming languages that I haven't encountered.

For what it's worth, there's even a Pearl programming language (not to be confused with the Perl language I write most of my stuff in. Note that I'm not advocating Perl as a real programming language, as I'm fully aware it has some design flaws. Only thing is, it really does work the way my mind does, so its insanity is a good fit for mine.)

Writing Cross-Browser Extensions is Tough

Note that Cade is reporting purely on the session for porting addons from Firefox to IE. We gave another session on extending IE using some of the incredibly easy extensibility mechanisms like Slices, Accelerators and Visual Search.

The goal of my talk was to cover what you need to do in IE if you want to have common functionality across Firefox -- I committed to the audience to stay away from any functionality that wasn't commonly achievable in both browsers. The other session was about extending IE8 without worrying about Firefox compat; and that is obviously very easy.

My message was that it makes your work harder in *both* Firefox and IE if you want to go cross-browser -- you lose things like XUL UI elements, and you have to use C++ in IE to get XUL equivalents. But it's worth it to target *both* browsers, IMO, since the whole point of the web is universal interop.

N
Bronze badge

Indeed, why would you use IE?

I agree with Paul McC, the only point of IE is to find FireFox, I just type start, run http://www.getfirefox.com

Or if I load the run files from my pen drive which is a hard drive busting 7Mb or it may be more now, then let it update itself with the latest few Kbs of bandwidth hogging updates, It removes the requirement for IE altogether.

Im stuck for a reason to use IE other than neccessity, for Windows crapdates.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

@Joshua Allen

"since the whole point of the web is universal interop"

I see the words, but the actions say something completely different. There isn't even "universal interop" with 100% end to end Microsoft. Even skipping over the blatant sins of IE5,6 & 7, the lastest IE8 shows that Microsoft still just doesn't understand web standards, see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/04/interent_explorer_8_list/

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.