back to article The Mother of All Demos — 150 years ahead of its time

Sometime in the late sixties, as Douglas Engelbart was preparing what would one day be called The Mother of All Demos, his boss flew to Washington to meet with the money man. The demo that birthed the modern computer mouse - and so much more - was funded by Bob Taylor, a NASA program manager who would one day take his own place …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mad Hacker
    Thumb Up

Nice article

I'm surprised I'm just learning of this demo. I certainly knew about Xerox PARC, but this is a new chapter. Thanks for the article.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

birthed the modern computer mouse ???

First time i used a "pointing device" was in 1966. They were in fairly common use in the mid 60s. At least one British computer manufactrer (making computers not their main business, of course) was using them for CAD in 1967.

So I don't think this demo birthed the mouse at all.

Maybe it was the first time those dumb clucks in West Pondia had seen a mouse?

Some of the other stuff may have been new, but using a mouse most certainly was old hat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

ich verstehe *nix [geddit?!]

isn't it funny [not to say ironic] how we've had a couple of *nix heads sieze on the article and proclaim "aha! -you see how us visionaries are always ridiculed at the time, by the short-sighted establishment"

i think you're missing the point folks - it's you linux folks who're the short-sighted ones, left behind as the world moves on. the rest of us cannae be arsed spending all afternoon up to our elbows in obscure command line spaghetti just trying to get an app installed and running, or a peripheral recognised by the OS. we're too busy being narrow-minded by clicking on our silly icons and getting actual work done, while you 'visionaries' are sitting there tapping strings of goggledygook into a terminal window for hours at a time, just to move a few files and folders around.

BTW - what was the article about? i got bored after the first paragraph and didnae read any more. this is 'el reg' tho' so i still claim my right to hold a strong opinion on... er... whatever we're arguing about.

4. jake Silver badge

@madra

Clearly, Sir or Ma'm, you are AnIdiotWhoCanBeSafelyIgnored[tm].

Who do you think wrote your pointy-clicky-intratubes in the first place?

HTH, HANL.

Side note: Learn punctuation and capitalization and spelling. Does wonders for communication.

(Yes, I know, it's really a poorly thought out and badly executed troll. I shouldn't feed it ...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good job!

@ jake: then don't, fool. You're still master over and responsible for your own fingers.

@ Cade: very enjoyable article. Perhaps not entirely balanced or whatnot, but hey - I'm reading El Reg.

6. Nick Pettefar

Wow

What a WIMP!

Sorry.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.