back to article Apple files 3D-interface patent

The US Patent and Trademark Office today published a collection of Apple filings, including a 3D interface that may herald the most radical - or, dare we say, the most bizarre - usability development since Doug Englebart first demoed a window-based GUI 40 years ago yesterday. Described in excruciating detail by AppleInsider, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Pierre
    Happy

@ some

"I bet her project was far better presented than your briefing"

Quite the contrary actually. Mine was professional publishing-grade, hers was looking clunky (like almost any word processor output. Not her fault.)

"You can't program subtleties of layout and design in vim and lout."

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. If you're interested, check the "basic" user manual at http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~jeff/loutuser.ps (postscript viewer required, but there must be a pdf version available somewhere).

@ all the offended OS-X fans: maybe I've been specifically targetting OS-X a bit too much. I just used as an example of super-fanciness impairing productivity. It's -to me- a very striking example, but it's just that. And the "MSWord vs Lout" example was just an illustration on how the fancyness can trick people into *thinking* they are efficient while they are not. It's definitely not specific to OS-X (Word is a MS product, you know).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patentards

<sigh> It amazes me how so many people can understand so little about the US patent system. Please, read carefully: These are patent APPLICATIONS that have been published. These patent applications HAVE NOT BEEN GRANTED A PATENT.

As part of the exploratory phase of the patent application process, the application will be published; ostensibly so that arguments of prior art can be heard before a patent is granted.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Compiz my @**

Did anybody else notice that this patent was filed in June of LAST YEAR? Obviously they've been working on this for a while.

And all these stupid comparisons the Compiz is just that... silly. Apple is attempting to make the entire UI 3D (BumpTop and LookingGlass come to mind) not just make a cube out of your multiple desktops and make it spin à la Compiz - which Apple can do by the way - Quartz Extreme???.... Core Animation???

All compiz does, as far as I've seen, is shake, wobble and scale your 2D desktop.

The few people here whining about the number of icons on the desktop, you do realise the number of icons on your desktop is entirely YOUR decision, right?

4. Dustin
    Thumb Down

They can't pattent this, they WILL get sued

Just another attempt to say "We did it first" by creating a patent. There have been 3d user interfaces for a while, for an example, look up "Browse3D". F them and thier BS pattents. They didn't invent jack here. May they be sued out of existance.

5. David Haig

Another 'borrow' from PARC

I seem to remember Xerox PARC came out with something called 'Rooms' or 'Walls' in the early 90's. The interface was a block / wall of 'rooms' which you could switch between each with their own apps, data and other users. You could move files from room to room, dropping them on the desk or in a filing cabinet. Looked at it as a front end for a document management project but didn't go anywhere. Seems to have sunk without trace .... only to resurface at Apple just like that other ubiquitous graphical interface did.

Sorry, no icon, couldn't work out how to have both the horned Bill & the horned Steve at once.

6. vincent himpe
    Thumb Up

gimme that

forget top and left and right.

the bottom looks perfect. i want an interface without bottom dock or toolbar. when mouse approaches this 3 d things swoops in and shows snapshots of open documents categorized per type. ( kind of like an old filing tray with cards in it ) click on the card and the application and document swoop back into place.

i often have 3 or 4 spreadsheets, 2 or 3 docuemtns and a bunch of pdf's open at the same time (some minimized . instead of haveing to go to a menu to switch or go to the windows bar and read the text on all the buttons to pop them to the foreground i can simply pick them from this 3d tray.

gimme gimme !!! let me at it. this is genius ! ( and yes i am an apple-hater by the way )

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Haw BigYin

Too late mate - FR'd to Apple months ago.

I think differences between US and EU patents is that the US can patent a concept.

Hence I merely FR concepts Stateside.

8. Rob Looker
    Flame

Remember 1997?

The Corridor, as visualised in the film Disclosure (based on the Michael Crichton novel), was far more advanced than Apple's proposals. And surely most Virtual Reality illustrations, in most of their vaguely defined examples, include the basics of the Apple proposed patents?

Can I patent the wheelbarrow next?

Robbo

9. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

On the other hand(s)

Spaces is neat. And I must admit to its neatness being hid from me for quite a while.

Spaces + VMWare Fusion = contentment?

As for me I think a neater than 3D-ish concept is a mashed amalgam wherein a file that has had several 'saves' appears as a stack with each earlier Save appearing as an object in the stack. OK, I suppose for text documents it may be not too essential but for creative stuff (images and compilations of content in a variety of forms undergoing creative design and development work) it may be a neat practical and pragmatic thing to do?

OT: I can't understand Linux devotees. Much as I wish to share in enthusiasm for it and it's various flavours (just tried most recent Ubuntu desktop under Fusion on the Mac) all I can conclude is that its beauty is much hid from me.

Interim conclusion: virtual Linux makes me love OS X and XP even more.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Go

As a ps

Time Machine with ability to

a - add notes that are easily accessible in the TM UI

and

b - find one file and find all other versions of it as a stackable object seem far more pragmatic things with an immediate usefulness?

11. Pierre

@ AC 1h37

"[Linux] beauty is much hid from me."

## mode=Fanbuoy.Nerd ##

'Absolute control on everything' is one quality that springs to mind. Though any weird "I can code in assembly" would tell you that it's stretching the definitions of "absolute" and "everything" a bit (disclaimer: I can program in x86 ass-embly, I just choose not to for I don't need _that_level of control. and I discovered that my droidbattles tournaments were a serious handicap for my love life ;-) ).

But I wouldn't give back the ability to work simultaneously in several different graphical environment (each possibly running with the permissions of a different user, and some of them split into as many virtual desktops as I choose) while still messing with the deep innards of the system in a root console. On an cheap and relatively old laptop with less-than-impressing graphics muscle and a plain first-generation dual core Turion that struggles to cope with its factory-installed Vista - even with all the fancy things turned off.

Also, my most ressource-hungry jobs usually run 24x7 on old machines that I got for free -by litterally rescuing them from the dumpster- which is an interesting feature. As is the ability to carry my OS around (whith my preferred applications, my settings, and some data) on a 128 Mb usb stick. Life is simple when you can be fully operational with only a few tens of million flops and a very moderate amount of RAM.

Of course all this is also true for BSDs -FireFly took over my old DEC Alpha server, I keep Tru64 only for backup, flame to your heart's content-, and for some more obscure OSs I like to toy with (I do have a crush on the Oberon-based OS -BlueBottle or whatever it might be called now- initiated at ETH by the father of pascal and modula(s). Try it now!).

## /mode ##

Have a nice day!

12. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Bonjour Pierre?

What distos are hot at the mo'?

I take the point about revamping oldish hardware but on a 30" screen linux seems like redressed Windows 3 to me

AC 137

13. Andreas
    Coat

Yawn...

Wake me up when this has passed (like M$ BOB did)...

14. Pierre

Guten Tag AC137?

>What distos are hot at the mo'?

What distro are *not* hot at the mo? (appart from Ubuntu, of course)

>I take the point about revamping oldish hardware

Now think of it not as "revamping oldish hardware" but as "replacing your harware every 10 years instead of every 3 years" and look at the $ signs dancing before your eyes.

>but on a 30" screen linux seems like redressed Windows 3 to me

[I reckon we are only talking Desktop from now on]

egg-Jack-telly. Appart from the fact that your statement does not mean much (what with the miriad of distros, and more importantly, the miriad of graphical environments available?), most linux distros are developped by people who seek (and, sometimes, find) efficiency. This approach -usually- leads to very efficient work environments, potentially looking like crap (but efficient crap). Also, it the look doesn't please you, you can, well, you know, design your own. That said, it is possible, in the Linux world as everywhere else, to find bloated eyecandy GUIs (including several 3-D desktop environments). it is even possible to find graphical interfaces that put bloated symbolistic crappy-looking design before anything else (Ubuntu, I'm blandly staring at you now).

But the average user is hugely more efficient in front of an efficient specialized interface. It looking like crap is a plus: people tend to waste much less water and time when they have to shower with cold water than when they have a sauna and a jacuzzi. Replace "water" and "time" with "CPU cycles" and, err, "time". BOFH forever!

Of course the learning curve might seem steep, and when you will reach the ultimate "me and my computer think alike" monster nerd, your significant other will probably ditch you. But look at the bright side: by the time, if you're wise, you'll have installed a complete domotics system that allows you to control the doors and windows by blinking. The filthy harlot won't escape. MwahahahAHAHAHA.... sorry, what was I saying? Ah, just one little thing: don't appempt that if you are a genius of a filesystem developper but unable to do some cleaning. It most certainly will fail.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like