back to article Firm touts anti-radiation chip for phones

If you believe that mobile phone use puts your brain at risk from electromagnetic radiation, then a Belgian firm’s latest offering may put your mind at ease. It's a gadget that's said to neutralise a phone’s potentially harmful rays. E_Waves_phone_chip_01 The E-Waves Phone Chip (it's the green dot) The E-Waves Phone Chip is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

IT Angle

Brilliant.

Just tried one, it really does work.

Yours,

S. Wonder (E-Waves CEO).

Alien

The purpose of this technology they do not understand

This technology from us have they stolen, but completely misunderstood it have they. Blocking of radiation does it not; relaying messages to Sirius the purpose of the Quantum Physical Information Wave is -- only thus the information faster than light can transmitted be.

Aetherius, custodian of Terra,

p.p. your Sirian overlords.

Thumb Down

Whilst I firmly believe...

... that mobile phones do emit radiation and prolonged use IS dangerous, the solution is NOT going to be a small sticker on the back of the phone.

Even the simplest idiot would note that the brain is on the other side of the phone from the sticker, sorry radiation cancelling device...

Bronze badge

"quantum physical information wave"

Google shows just 14 hits for this phrase in the past year and 9 in the last week. It will be interesting to see if/how this picks up in the blogosphere.

Boffin

@ Robert Mack

Sorry Rob, you were in the right area but wrong answer.

Microwave Ovens are tuned to a particular wavelength (2.45GHz or 12.122cm).

When irradiated at this wavelength the O-H bond absorbs energy, vibrates more, and this causes whatever the O-H is attached to, to heat up.

Th O-H bond occurs in water, sugar and most fats as well as sme other organic matter. Skin is affected because it is mostly water and fat.

Bone is hardly affected at all and the brain is only going to be affected VERY close to where you hold the phone.

All this stuff about "cooks from the inside out" is bullshit.

"Nukes" cook the inside and outside at the same time but the power is considerably reduced the further into whatever you are cooking you measure it.

So, it cooks from the outside in (but less so than conventional ovens), does cook the skin and will fry your brain.

However, cellphones do not work at 2.45GHz so "microwaves" have less effect.

@900MHz the heating effect is hardly mesurable.

@1800MHz it is only slightly worse than 900MHz (same for 1900Mhz).

But are more at risk if your phone is WiFi enabled as 802.11b is around 2.45GHz so perhaps you should ditch that iPoop/N95. :-)

As for this sticker,........

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sure some stupid suckers will fall for it.

Unhappy

I asked Santa...

...for a quantum physical information wave last Christmas.

I got a sealed lead box with a dead cat in it. Where's the fun in that?

Where's the hand?

Heh heh heh!

Anyway, where is the hand holding the phone in those "thermal images"? Or is the phone glued to the guy's head?

Gold badge

Next week:

A rival manufacturer proves that Quantum Physical Information Waves cause cancer in armadillos.

I see your steaming pile of bollocks and raise you a shitload of utter cobblers.

Thumb Down

*sigh*

This has been in the main TV news here with little or no negative arguments - I bet this will be selling very well :(

Coat

next

tin foil lined hats and lead lined underpants ( against comic radiation )

mines the one next to the sgn that reads 'welcome to the outside of the asylum'

Flame

Good to see that El Reg's grasp of basic science is as solid as ever...

as with "the Great Global Warming Conspiracy", so too with the "Harmful EM Radiation Shield".

Ever consider hiring at least one hack with a basic grounding in at science and scientific methods? Degree level will do, as long as it's a Real University rather than some jumped-up college of continuing adult education.

Silver badge

Bah

Word to the wise: If *anything* sold to the general public has the word "quantum" either in its name or in the "supporting" documentation, it is 99.999999999999999% sure of being a total fraudulent gyp. The other 0.000000000000001% isn't caused by truth, but by quantum mechanical uncertanties in the underlying universe and the display size of my calculator.

Write to the makers suggesting they can get a million dollars (now worth approximately 18 quid) by simply demonstrating to a team of appraisers working on behalf of the JREF challenge that this thing can do what the manufacturers say it can.

Quantum Prediction: The money is safe from this device.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Of course it works!

For the definition of "works" which is "creates 29 Euro profit for Omega Pharma for each and every sticker sold".

Sheesh.

//Paris, because she knows how to make money off of stuff...

don't be to hard on the old el reg

all they did was miss the <scarcasm> and <\scarcasm> tags off the top and tail of the article

(if I got that wrong it is cos I am a real computer tech not a html coder)

Paris Hilton

I'll just do what the schizophrenic on Hollywood Blvd does...

and wear a tin-foil hat! It'll be good for stopping the CIA from beaming assassination orders directly into my brain also!

Jesus, there's a sucker born every minute!

Paris, because she looks good in foil.

Alert

To Big Boomer

Beware of talking down the heating effects of different radio frequencies. Domestic microwave ovens operate at 2.45 GHz for two main reasons:

a) The size of the resonant cavity and the cost-efficiency of producing the magnetron for that frequency are both close to ideal at 2.45 GHz.

b) The actual penetration depth at that frequency is in the cm range, the actual value depending on the salt content of the water but, again, ideal for food heating. The first resonant peak for the water molecule itself is above 1 THz and the highest peak is in the infrared range. Microwave ovens cook quickly because the penetration (to whatever depth) is immediate rather than the gradual with conventional heating. In practice though, a combination is used (the instruction to "stand for x minutes before serving" provides extra insurance that the heating-through process is as complete as it can be).

also, the frequency band around 2.45 GHz was one of the first pieces of radio spectrum globally assigned to ISM - Industrial, Scientific and Medical usage - well before there were such things as microwave ovens.

Actually, anywhere in the 900 MHz to 5 GHz range is technically fine for microwave cooking and some professional ovens (big ones) operate at 915 MHz. Remember also, that the medical treatment known as Diathermy (tissue heating) operates way down at 27 MHz (did someone mention CB radio?) while frequency-hopping Bluetooth devices are another user of the same spectrum.

The word "microwave" means nothing special other than "tiny wave". Depending on which text book you read, the microwave range starts as low as 300 MHz (the VHF/UHF boundary) or 1000 MHz (a nice round number). They're just radio waves which are the lowest energy part of the electromagnetic spectrum which goes on to include infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays and gamma rays.

Ron Schmitt's "Electromagnetics Explained" (pub: Newnes) is a good primer for those wishing to understand the phenomenon a bit and be able to debunk the quacks with their patches and crystals.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums