back to article BBC relives The Day of The Triffids

The BBC is poised to start filming on a new adapation of John Wyndham's The Day of The Triffids, due to hit screens in a high-definition two-parter some time next year. Quite how ER screenwriter Patrick Harbinson will inject new life into the classic tale of horticultural apocalypse remains to be seen, since the Beeb has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Gilbert Wham

Re 'Anything By Harry Harrison':

Can haz Slippery Jim Di Griz? Seriously, a series of Stainless steel Rat movies would be awesome. Really, we'd need to rejuvenate James Coburn for the part, but I'll take other casting suggestions on board.

2. Anonymous John

BBC Wales?

So it's going to be called "The Day Of The Leek", is it?

3. adifferentbob

oh no !

why oh why oh why ? If they have to remake something , how about the Caves Of Steel - they did that in the fifties didn't they?

Just goes to show the paucity of imagination amongst some programme makers. I'd rather they did something from scratch - like The Demolished Man , or something more modern like Stross's Laundry series to name just two. There is so much decent science fiction old and modern that would make cracking TV and that doesn't need expensive fx. But Day of the Sodding Triffids - no no no!

4. Angus
    Unhappy

Sigh

"The corporation promises, though, a "fast-paced, futuristic and electrifying take" on the chilling guide to why you shouldn't look at meteor showers."

Oh dear..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Neocons of Fantasy

Charles Stross has only written one good book, and it's not The Atrocity Archives.

But I loved the idea of putting Peter F. Hamilton on the small screen. What'd it be, each book in 104 half-hour episodes? Ratings winner!

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

Can't wait

I've watched the brilliant original BBC adaptation about four times now and can't wait to see this new version.

Two parts will make for a long episode? 1.5 hours each.

7. Stuart Halliday
    Heart

Alternative shows

Let's have the BBC make "Jizzle" by John Wyndham. Though it might be difficult for it to get past the Beeb censor board for some reason...

But my real favourite would have to be something which is relevant to recent research development actually going on - "Trouble with Lichen" by John Wyndham. Now wouldn't that make a truly modern horror story? People living for longer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trouble_with_Lichen

8. Kane
    Coat

Some good suggestions

@ JonB - Brave New World - Damn good idea Sir! It would make an exceptional mini series I believe, enough Sci to qualify and a lot of social commentary about government control....woops, did I say control? I meant betterment for mankind, of course.

@ How about finally doing some new british sci-fi - Yep, there is enough of it out there, and a serialisation of Mr Hamilton's Nights Dawn Trilogy would be awesome.

Mine's the one with the Soma in the back pocket, and the Antimatter fueled Combat Wasps in the front.

9. John Blagden
    Heart

Tomorrow People

Tomorrow People - yowza! Da Da, Da Da Da

I'm getting old'n'grey now, but I seem to remember a blonde in that series that made me want to lick the screen.

10. Smallbrainfield

Well, it's a slap in the face (ha!) with a triffid sting for

the 80s version, which still is awesome. Really scary intro.

Like everyone else, I wish they'd make some other piece of classic Brit SF. Rendezvous with Rama still needs to be filmed.

11. John Dougald McCallum
    Alien

recomended Sci/Fi for the BBC

Misspent Youth Peter F. Hammilton

Reality Dysfunction Trilogy Peter F.Hammilton done properly that should give any one nightmares for years.

any or all the books by Alistair Reynolds.

or how about that hoary old tale in eleven parts The Wheel of Time.That should be enough to keep Auntie Busy for Years.ET for obvious reasons

12. Rick Brasche

OMG Peter Hamilton FTW

can you imagine a series based off of the Reality Dysfunction? Or the Greg Mandel/Mindstar Rising books?

Sigh, still no such luck.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like