back to article Beeb to cut the f**king swearing

The BBC's head of television yesterday declared that the corporation's output would next year feature less of Jonathan Ross telling Gwyneth Paltrow he'd "f*ck her", lest such choice language alienate viewers. BBC Vision supremo Jana Bennett said Auntie would “push back” the number of expletives gracing the airwaves, following …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mr C
    Stop

Whoreless PC EPG

I see that Channel 4's PC thought-police have been at the Freeview EPG - my PVR recorded "The Devil's Whore" with the mysteriously censored filename "The Devil's Wh**e.rec".

Back in the 80s Russ Abbot used to get away with "Miss Funny Fanny" and Friar Tuck spoonerism jokes on a Saturday tea-time. I don't seem to remember anyone being offended back then.

2. Not That Andrew

who needs a title?

If you don't like Russell Brand or Jonathan Ross you can do what I do and avoid any show with either overpaid prat (except the HIGNFY where Ross gets humiliated, of course).

3. John
    Go

Ross isn't talentless

I'm a big fan of his radio show but dont like his TV show mainly because of his unnecessary swearing.

He has many faults but he isn't talentless. He has a very solid knowledge of TV, film and especially music. He researches most of his guests' work in depth and has often seen them live. He mixes inane banter with a good discussion of the work the guest is trying to market (well on his radio show he gets the balance right).

Overpaid? Yes. Needs bringing back to earth. Maybe. But he's good and deserves to be back in some form.

4. jon

well, what will really happen...

- is that Ross et al will move to ITV etc, where they start f-ing swearing at 1 min past 9...

5. Richard Harris
    Thumb Down

Somewhere...

Somewhere, deep underground, a smug grin is spreading across the corpse of Mary Whitehouse.

Also, I can't believe that Gabby Logan had to appologise on Five Live for Frank Skinner saying "Bitch" on Sunday morning. She cited the new rules on swearing as the reason. Soon, all we'll be getting on the BBC, will be re-runs of Ballamory 24x7.

6. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

Re:Sack Jonathan Ross

***"The BBC does have some really good and funny comedians out there such as Chris Moyles"***

ROFLMFAO, Moyles, a "good and funny comedian". Nice to see that irony isn't dead!

He's tops even Ross in the overpaid waste-of-space league table, by quite a margin, IMHO.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a theory....

Constant swearing does lead to increased violence. How?

In a normal conversation, as it escalates to punches being thrown, you hear in stages

1) normal conversation, 2) raised voices, 3) abuse+raised voices 4) fight!

At any stage before 4 the situation can be defused by someone backing off, or sidetracking the argument.

If you go to a club and have to shout over music you're already at 2. If you swear without realizing it you're effectively at 3. That only leaves a trigger being needed to get to 4. Just add alcohol or chemical recreation of choise to remove inhibitions.

anyhoo, that's my theory...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ruined Robocop

Pretty sure that was on ITV.

9. spiny norman
    Thumb Down

@I have a theory

At least it explains Eastenders, where everyone is permanently at 3 and go to 4 at the drop of a rating.

10. VulcanV5
    Flame

Moyles mouth wash

I can't believe that in a discussion about offensive language, anyone would be insensitive enough, or stupid enough, to come on here and say "Chris Moyles".

That is just so-oo DISGUSTING.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To all those muppets who seem to think swearing is cool

Why not just stay in your playground and swear at all the other kiddies to your hearts content? Adults don't need a constant diet of swearing. And no swearing isn't big, clever or particularly funny - its the last resort of the washed up comedian to get a few cheap laughs. If their act doesn't work without it perhaps they should bin the act and try another career, Or just stick to doing the student union circuit.

12. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: To all those muppets who seem to think swearing is cool

Can I be the first to say... oh, no, I can't, it's just too easy.

Actually no it's not. Get to fuck, swearing is the fucking stuff of life, you fuck.

Hee.

13. HFoster

Bavarian Firedrill

FNORD!

I couldn't care less how much swearing is on TV after the watershed. Children ought to be in bed by then (although I rarely was), or doing something else (huffing glue, perhaps?). As to the old and easily offended... Well, if that game of bridge and half bottle of port hasn't finished them off, I think they deserve every-fucking-thing they get.

There are far more important issues in the world than a bit of swearing on TV.

How about the TV and advertising companies clamp down on bad grammar on TV? THAT is far more damaging and upsetting than the odd "fuck."

14. Brezin Bardout

@ I have a theory

Quite right, ban swearing on the BBC so we can all look forward to less fights in nightclubs...

Actually I agree with you to an extent, swearing can be aggressive and aggression does lead to fights. However, I really don't think less swearing on the BBC is going to have any impact on the amount people swear. My three year old only ever watches Teletubbies and the like and he never stops fucking swearing.

15. mittfh

ITV have missed a trick...

With JR absent from the BBC for a few months, ITV could have given him an all expenses paid trip to Australia, where a certain reality show for misbehaving celebs (what other term would you use to describe the likes of Kilroy and Mallet?) is currently airing...

...it would be even better if they could conveniently forget to arrange his flight back...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no...

"The BBC does have some really good and funny comedians out there such as Chris Moyles"

he really isn't,

just, no....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"making love"

So, Johnny Woss reckons he'd like to "make love" to Gwynneth Paltrow. He has a point but I suspect the wife might have something to say about it...

There - I said it without fucking swearing.

18. RogueElement
    Paris Hilton

@mittfh

If we're going to sent that offensive tw@ all the way to oz... can't we get him on some program where he goes diving for sting rays?

(No offence to Mr Urwin; rather a much preferred alternative... RIP mate)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like