back to article Sky mulls PVR software rollback

Sky is considering reversing an update to the software on its PVR boxes after it froze customers out of the programme guide and left them unable to record TV. The update to Sky+ boxes, described as minor by the firm, was pushed last week over the air. Customers noticed the OS version number had changed when they were locked out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

Rollback done ?

Some people on the Digital Spy forum are saying that their boxes have now been rolled back to the old software and it has cleared the problem.

I haven't had a chance to check mine to confirm though.

Silver badge

It's working again...!

I woke this morning to find my box was in Standby mode even though I've left it switched on the past few days to ensure this problem didn't arise, but, after pressing the on button in trepidation, I'm pleased to confirm that it's working properly again.

Hopefully (hah!) Sky will learn from this...

Go

@Not just DIY Sky+ boxes

>>"t is not just the DIY modded boxes that have been affected, those which have the original disk as supplied by Sky have also been affected."

>>"In typical Sky fashion, they have ignored the full facts and acknowledge only what they perceive to be the issue."

Funny, I thought that in the quoted statement they actually said:

>>"..it appears that in the vast majority of cases the boxes concerned have had their hard disk drive changed for a non-standard component."

Which I took to mean that they were acknowledging that some unmodded boxes *were* affected.

Maybe only a fraction of unmodded boxes were affected.

Maybe modders are more likely to notice, and complain early and often.

Maybe Sky *were* putting a bit of anti-mod spin on the real figures.

And as for the conspiracy angle, it's hard to see what would be the point of breaking modded boxes. Even if secrecy was guaranteed (unlikely) Pace and Sky would seem likely to lose a fair bit and gain nothing obvious.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums