back to article US couple sue over McNudes

A US woman who sent some nude snaps of herself to her hubby's mobe got a nasty shock when they turned up online - complete with her name, address and telephone number. According to the BBC, Phillip Sherman accidently left his phone at a McDonald's in Fayetteville, Arkansas, on 5 July. Staff helpfully promised to hold onto the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Own Address on Phone?

Most mobile phones provide the facility to enter your details and then the ability to use bluetooth or, in the old days, infrared to exchange your details with others conveniently. Ok, hubby sounds a bit thick but perhaps he put his and his wife's contact details in there? I have personal and business contact details in my phone for this purpose. Of course people are going to lose their phones or have them stolen. The moral of the story is not to have anything you want to lose on them;).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Christopher E. Stith

I don't know about you, but I have my home phone number listed in my mobile (so I can call home to see if she needs my to pick up bread or milk on the way home), and many US phone directory websites offer free reverse lookups, so finding a home address for a "found phone" can be a fairly trivial process in the US.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Outcome

This is just another example where an American wants to make a fast buck my sueing someone. A survey was conducted asking American's how they would get rich and the majority answered by sueing someone.

The couple concerned can't sue a member of the public that might have actually accessed the pictures and posted on to the net because they have no idea who it is, so in order to become rich, they have to sue MacD.

I dunno about US courts, but if this was in the UK, the defendant simply has to say "the access of the images took place whilst the phone was not in our possession. They left it on a table, that's their carelessness and we are not responsible for what happens to the phone before it was handed into us. The plaintiff should ensure that if they are sending such sensitive images to each other then they should take appropriate precautions to ensure the security of those images, such as putting a pin code lock on the keypad, which the phone almost certainly provides". Case dismissed. Judgement in favour of the plaintiff.

And they'd end up paying the court costs of MacD.

4. Franklin
    Thumb Down

Going about it the wrong way

The guy should be suing for copyright violation, not emotional distress. After all, the photos in question are intellectual property, protected by copyright law.

Then he just needs to get some of the RIAA's intellectual property lawyers involved and he's golden.

5. James
    Paris Hilton

Other thoughts

When was the phone missing, vs when where the pics found?

How were the pics found, which of the two regularly browse for pr0n?

So if the phone goes missing in the afternoon, and the misses finds the pics 'a day later' ... scam and fail

Paris, cause she's her own IT angle these days

6. Barry Rueger
    Paris Hilton

Think before Clicking

Lord knows we've all done some less than brilliant things while in the heat of passion and or other intoxicants, but I'm still amazed at the number of people who take nudie pictures of themselves or others, then fail to consider that they may wind up in someone else's hands.

On a phone no less, an item that is routinely loaned to friends and co-workers, and that is a favorite "toy" to small children. I'm even cautious about what I leave on my desktop hard drive at home, and can't imagine leaving this kind of thing on my cel phone or laptop!

7. stizzleswick
    Flame

@RotaCyclic

I agree (as per my earlier post) with your gist, though I disagree with your statement that the judgment would be in favour of the _plaintiff_; quite the contrary!

@James: As I said... nobody knows how long that phone was lying around unattended. That alone should make any case against McBarf's the company, the particular franchise involved and any of its employees and management truly null and void. But I have full confidence in the U.S. justice system yet again perverting itself.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

why is it rediculous to keep....

you wife's or girlfriends full name, address and telephone number on your phone...

what if you were in a accident, your phone will be a good way to contact your family quickly if all the details are present and correct....

I can here the replies of "they should be able to trace you through the content of your wallet", Well I do not always take my wallet out with me, where i do always take my phone...

mines the one with the phone in the pocket !!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Policy

I expect that it will be entirely McDonalds' fault unless they can produce for the court's perusal their detailed policy on what to do with a lost mobile phone with nude pictures on it.

Paris, I think she would sympathise with that poor woman who has her nude pictures on the interweb... and Paris might know how to make more money out of it

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

nevermind McDonalds, the government needs to step in and help them at once

And order them to go back to school for a couple of years and be given lots of free lessons specifically focussing on "common sense"

Although they don't seem to need any help in the "how to cook up a plan, choose a target and milk them dry" department.

I hope it gets thrown out.

11. ratfox
    Thumb Down

Might be hard

They do need to prove who put it on the net first, IMO.

Why should the tribunal believe them and not the McPeople?

Then, suing McDonald's itself is an obvious attempt in getting the

biggest amount of $$$ possible. What was the chain supposed to do?

Tell all its employee that they should respect people's privacy?

Perform complicated psychological tests on every potential employee

to check they would not do that?

I hope they get very little cash.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This post is useless without pics

62 comments and still no-one has posted a link to the pics. Come on guys, you're slipping!

For my sins, my Google-fu is weak as I can't find them either

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Survey

RotaCyclic :

"A survey was conducted asking American's how they would get rich and the majority answered by sueing someone."

While I don't doubt that Americans aren't the most moral of people going, do you have a link to any evidence pointing to the existence of this alleged survey?

Although, if the majority of the respondents answered by sueing someone instead of checking the little box or what-have-you, I'm inclined to think this does indeed back up the image of a sue-happy society you attempt to conjure up.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like