Feeds

back to article Still sending naked email? Get your protection here

In this age of brazen, warrantless wiretaps and never-ending data breaches, you'd think email encryption would be considered de rigueur. Alas, even among the digerati it's rarely given the time of day because encryption is seen as an exotic undertaking that brings more hassle than benefit. To be sure, incorporating a robust …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alert

I'm amazed that

I'm amazed that no-one's mentioned the excellent http://getfiregpg.org/

It runs in Firefox, and when it sees a valid chunk of PGP key or encrypted message, it uses Javascript to give you an import/decrypt link.

Not as secure as other systems, no doubt - but a lot easier for newbs.

Password: elreg

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

Comment: http://getfiregpg.org

jA0EAwMC65Ajupa0gVlgyUf0oI3dYED8WkDih62rbEWwMgwZw1UYY6c9ORQUYqQM

jt+ixkU94Mr2Oj7/pGPs+gRoitSBhVfa8XK/2Afl05EyNd4IC7ej7g==

=Md+Q

-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Thumb Down

It's just not going to catch on...

I really don't see email encryption, in this way, catching on outside of the technical-minded community.

It's a well written article, but not exactly ground breaking, or applicable to anyone who uses email for anything not critical.

I agree that education of users in what should be sent in an email, and what shouldn't is more likely to succeed.

Anyone who needs highly secure email, should use a closed email network, protected in other ways.

Black Helicopters

Re: I'm amazed that

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

Version: PGP Desktop 9.6.3 (Build 3017) - not licensed for commercial use: www.pgp.com

qANQR1DDDQQJAwJUdHqh6gHOJJjSegFNHYhXQCX8LncUNw7homYgb9VJtSAKssaK

rmHJg3WcveVqY4axaim9D1r56PEa2Z8uEusvBVlunsFZxdsQXdtapXOqAMBM2EPh

YqKERzCm8jOSW+qJ59cD09wDfkdfGnDi1W/fBvbN1yjmtRHuI1eJxlCB2wnYDici

=fu+n

-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Bronze badge
Boffin

If it's too complicated for you, don't use it.

Nobody is rubbing this in anyone's face and saying they must use it, but it is pretty useful to actually have a simple tutorial that means if you do need to have secure communications with someone you can point them at this article and they can set themselves up rather than having to effectively put all this content into an email before you can have the conversation you want to have.

As ever, commentards are very quick with a glib dismissal. It's okay if you're not smart enough to use the software or you don't think everyone in the world will be using it tomorrow, but that doesn't mean that the article itself is pointless.

In the future email encryption will get more important, especially when people start finding ways to compromise mail servers and use intercepted data to create vastly more credible phishing or spam messages. The more people in general can at least understand the concepts and possibilities involved with encryption the better.

Anonymous Coward

Why Johnny can't encrypt

The reader may be interested in:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~tygar/papers/Why_Johnny_Cant_Encrypt/OReilly.pdf

Thumb Up

Well I'm pleased the article was written!

I installed the Enigmail add-on last month but had not done anything else; I was at the point of uninstalling it to stop the "send unencryptedmail?" messages. Laziness on my part, nothing else. I'm an IT "professional" who's aware of the problems of sending bare email and has some inclination to do something about it. So thanks to Dan for writing this article / tutorial.

And a big "STOP YOUR WHINGEING" to all the nay-saying biatches out there!

Sure, current means of encryption MIGHT be clunky and long-winded, but until your favourite email client does it easily, out of the box, then we all to get by as best we can. If you think this method sucks, then get off your fat arses and show us something better.

Paris Hilton

I send naked email, naked

Paris cos she loves it

Beyond PGP to Truly Private Email

If your Gramma can implement the PGP illustrated in this article, she must have gotten her computer science degree in the '70s. Not that we have anything against PGP, but their complicated and technical approach is way out of date.

If you want truly private email that Gramma and any doctor, lawyer or indian chief can use, out of the box, then look at WebLOQ. All password and key exchange is user transparent, machine generated and much safer. A central database delivers full HIPAA, SOX and GLB reporting. It runs on all popular platforms, and is today delivering highly secure privacy to health care, public safety, lawyers and others - with nothing new to learn.

Internet privacy is a hot topic. Encrypting the body of an email is only half a solution. Encrypting the headers - which WebLOQ does - halts malware and assures complete privacy. Getting all this on an easy-to-use platform that also runs on your smartphone is the new paradigm.

George Sidman

WebLOQ

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.