Feeds

back to article House key copied from photo

Security researchers have developed a technique for copying house keys using only a picture of a key. The approach - developed by computer scientists at UC San Diego - requires no physical access to keys and only a relatively low resolution picture for the software to work. Boffins at the university said they developed the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Let's see if I've got this straight, then...

2"-thick steel door with no glass panes in it, steel shutters over the window, reinforced steel roof, concrete block walls, three different locks (Abloy, card-and-PIN and combination) and the buggers will be forced to use a sledgehammer to smash their way through the walls or a gas torch to burn through a shutter or the door - either of which'd be far too much effort to go to for a 4-year-old computer, a crappy TV and assorted clothes, kids' toys (which aren't even electronic) and other household items, especially when the neighbours have a lovely (easily broken) glass picture window big enough to get a lounge suite through...

Sadly, the effort of shuttering all the windows every time we go out and having to work a combination lock to get back in (on top of waving a ProxCard at the sensor, entering a PIN and turning a key) would probably be to much for me, too, so I'd stay home and get bored waiting for the burglars to turn up...

Fuck it, we'll sell everything except the clothes on our backs and a couple of simple bowls and move into a hermit-cave up a mountain - no doors, windows or locks.

Happy

A long time ago in a far away place

30 years approx ago in New Zealand , I had a job looking at Bulldozers building roads for NZ Forest Service.

Not anything high tech. or IT but locks and keys got involved.

We fitted meters to the Dozers that recorded the time that they were actually moving (doing work), and I went to a local locksmith to get a spare key cut and he said he could not get the blank required as it was a high security lock.

Blanks difficult to obtain. If I remember correctly it was a pretty secure system-proof that it was your property etc.

There MUST BE improved versions now surely .

I

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.