back to article Sarah Palin's words get data mined

Business Intelligence (BI) is about extracting information from data. The name implies that it is only applicable to business information, but that’s misleading. Given the right techniques, information can be found in the most unexpected places - even in the speeches of vice-presidential candidates. Sarah Palin’s meteoric rise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Cortland Richmond

And even el Reg hasn't noticed

That the letters in "Sarah Palin" can be rearranged to read

"Sharia Plan"

2. Fluffykins Silver badge

Fake

Glasses

Twang

Sincerity

3. Michael Dunn
    Coat

Conserve?

And here was I thinking the "conserve" meant somethinmg made from raspberries.

Mine's the one with a jar of jam in the pocket.

4. FreeTard
    Thumb Up

@"Sharia Plan"

Brilliant. Especially since the 'repubs' let their supporters "accuse" Obama of being an Islamist.

I'll never understand how this type of electioneering is allowed under US law. or is it?

If not, then why is no-one ever prosecuted post election? For such a litigous nation, you'd think someone would want to question this in the courts (and make a few bucks).

Oh and please stop using liberal as a bad word, coz it's not anywhere else in the world...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

(Lipstick on Pit-) Bull (shit) Interrogations

And in other news, if you randomly shuffle the words on Sarah Palin's interview prompt cards you get all the published works of William Shakespear.

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

To be fair, you should compare her words to Obama

Based upon real world experience, Obama having only 1.5 years of experience as a Senator and Palin having experience as a mayor of a town and the governor of a State, you should compare them. Biden, has much more experience than both Obama and Palin so the comparison is not fair. To be fair, do a comparison between McCain and Obama now. McCain has much more experience than any of the others mentioned.

To attack Palin on the experience question is insane, since she's only trying to be VP. Obama is trying to be President. How's that make sense?

IT? That's quite a stretch...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Maybe it's not science, but probably it is

Word usage is very revealing - in unexpected ways. Simply counting words isn't statistically sound. Bayesian techniques work better, but doing the statistics properly is really quite tricky.

Fortunately, none of this really matters because our brains are already wired to do this sort of thing without writing even a single line of code. How else do we infer meaning and emotion on other people's utterances that computers cannot yet pick up?

So just listen to the words and you'll detect the fake ones. That's easy. The main problem is detecting the sincere ones. Read the word frequency counts and you'll see what your brain is already telling you. It is science. Not precise, but good enough to confirm what you already knew. Its real value lies in making you think objectively instead of just letting the words wash over you. Objective thinking is the last thing a politician wants you to do to their speech. That's why science works and politicians hate it.

The penguin - cos you can't understand them!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Stick to Computers, El Reg!

Your biased pieces are more worthy of latter-day, "Journalists".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@To be fair, you should compare her words to Obama

"IT? That's quite a stretch..."

The article was about computer based analysis (mining) of comments made... these comments have drifted as a result of the use of the following sentence in the article "But hey, it does allow us to, you know, have a laugh an’ all, so we say, what the heck" and the first comment on here pointing out it's going to be no laughing matter :(

The comparison of Palin and Obama is valid because, statistically, it's likely that McCain will die during his term and Palin will become President. Matt Damon has brought this to the attention of US voters (he's brighter than people may think).

Don't believe the Polls, Obama will lose - it'll be like Hamilton in Formula one but there will be no Glock on slicks I'm afraid.

November 5 - the world will be in shock...

x-x

Remember, remember the 5th of November,

of equality, democracy - NOT,

The world will remember,

America's blunder,

and forgive them? We shall not!

x-x

Guy Fawkes would be better than McCain... he had a lot of military experience as well.

My coat - poems not my specialty ! 5th of November because the counting is going to take a lot of time...

10. Scott
    Coat

twits

Being a "yankee" in the Deep South, I get the accent. I also get the, "when ya all leavin? now the rest of "all ya all (read the World) is chiming in with the same homily? All I can say is it's not contagious, it's genetic.

my coat please..........

11. Inachu

She was the worst pick for VP ever!

I have never seen a VP as bubble headed as her.

12. kain preacher

Obama will lose -.

Really Damn I guess the election results were wrong .

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.