back to article Asus to phase out sub-10in Eee PCs, says CEO

Buy your 7in and 8.9in Eee PCs while you can - Asus is going to phase them out next year, company chief Jerry Shen has revealed. Don't expect it to happen all of a sudden - Shen told DigiTimes it'll happen slowly. However long it takes, it's clear that Asus sees the 10in form-factor as the emerging standard for netbooks. Shen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

W
Heart

Halle-F-in'-lujah!

Halle-F-in'-lujah!

>"Perhaps people actually *want* a smallish laptop device running the windows they know and will instantly work with everything they already own happily outside the tech/geek/nerd/os-bigot crowd?" - Vince

>"These companies are giving linux a bad name amongst the general consumer public by installing badly home-customised distros. Just what MS ordered!" - b4k4

-Cheers guys. And to the others eching these sentiments. I've been taking a pummeling in the "Netbooks for Newbies #2" article comments for making this exact point. This is not an MS conspiracy. Bully-boy tactics? Possibly, maybe. But pre-installing a "Crippled" Linux is/was a *big* mistake. A "Proper", "Full" Linux (*buntu/PCLinuxOS/Mint/openSUSE/etc) would have given a much better account of the possibilities of a non-MS world. And there's no good reason for pre-installing one on AA1/901 Atom-spec XP capable kit.

Thumb Down

France

I've been trying to buy a 901 with Linux in France for months - everywhere only does XP (but they have the 701s and 900s with Linux). I already have a 12" laptop, the point of the eee is that it's small! What are they doing? Now I don't know what to get again.

aspire one

Dear idiots - get an Aspire One instead then.

W
Alien

re: aspire one

Dear twunt - I assume your suggestion was made so concisely because it's all your AA1 battery would allow.

Jobs Horns

It's the form factor, stupid

You can see what sort of pressure M$ puts on manufacturers by Dell's offering. Yes, the Linux version of the Inspiron 9 is a bit cheaper than the Windows one, but it also has less storage and a worse webcam. Why not just add a 'please don't buy this, M$ will alter our licensing deal' sticker on it?

I hope the M$ cheque to Asus came with plenty of noughts on the end, because this is a really stupid decision.

The demand is there for smaller cheaper (no M$ licences to pay for, because who needs Windows to web browse?) physically safer (flash storage = you can drop the damn thing and it will still work) quieter (that flash again) netbooks and someone will fill it.

Unless, of course, Asus hive off the Linux Eees to a separate company...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums