back to article Armed cops ice South London devil dog

Armed police officers yesterday shot dead a devil dog which attacked four people during a uncontrolled rampage in Mitcham, South London. According to the Telegraph, the terrier (breed unspecified) escaped from its owner's garden in South Lodge Avenue through a hole in the fence. It promptly "bit a young child’s leg at around …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Louis
    Heart

@Sarah Bee

I think, after those 2 posts, I have fallen in love... If you are not available, do you have a sister?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I can tell you one thing

If someones dog "called Asbo" tried to chew my little girls leg off and drag her 50 yards down the road then not only would I kill the dog but you'd have a hard time trying to stop me tying the owner to the back of my car and dragging him/her up and down the street.

But then again I'm vindictive bastard and the thought of someone of something harming my children turns me into an animal who wants blood...

3. Echowitch
    IT Angle

@Sarah Bee/Cats

"If cats were bigger, they'd kill us all. You know I'm right."

Wrong dear. They wouldn't kill us. They'd enslave us, as cat's are far to intelligent to kill off an attentive and willing slave race :)

My son is 11 months old, and I won't let any dogs near him. I don't trust dogs at all. Our next door neighbours have four dogs and I won't let them too close to him. Further down the road there is a couple that own two enormous bear like rottweilers that are very boisterous and the owner has trouble battling with their strength when he takes them out. I steer clear of their place.

We have two cats and I won't leave him too close to one of our cats as he is grumpy and will lash out. We made that mistake once and our son was scratched on the hand as he reached out to touch the cat. After that event our son doesn't trust that cat either. Our other cat though is great, but she's female and had kittens and considers our son to be one of her kittens.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Chris G

" I had seen you spray paint a dog in the face I would have kicked you down the stairs."

So Chris. Are you willing to make yourself financially liable for the dog attack? Are you willing to throw yourself in harms way for people being attacked by a dog? The AC was simply defending himself, or do you suggest he is chewed up by the pooch?

If a hound ever attacked me, I would kill it. It would be choked and strangled. A single dog (no matter what breed) is easy to kill, two dogs (or a dog and a thug owner) is more difficult.

5. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Chris G

>If a hound ever attacked me, I would kill it. It would be choked and strangled. A single dog (no matter what breed) is easy to kill, two dogs (or a dog and a thug owner) is more difficult.

"You know that expression, 'softly softly, catchy monkey'? I could catch a monkey."

*snort* Sorry.

I have to say though I think people are fantastically ignorant about dog behaviour in this country, and assume aggression when there may only be excitement or anxiety. Yes of course you have to protect yourself, and you can reasonably assume a dog means business if it leaps at you with its jaws agape, etc, but a dog looking at you and barking doesn't necessarily mean it's going to go for you. Not even if it's, like, a big scary dog.

It's all getting a bit testosteroney around here, anyway. There's nothing macho about self-defence if you do it right.

6. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Flame

terriers

Nasty, vicious breeds with inferiority complexes IMO. True, not all of them are bad, and I'm generally a dog lover, but I'm not a fan of these yappy things.

Many wonderful comments here (eg, "prevention of terrierism act"), but this is not one of them, natch.

7. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Boffin

"if cats were bigger"

I believe this came up in a question to New Scientist magazine some years back. If the cat was merely made larger with some sort of embiggening ray, chances are that their existing conditioning would prevent them from seeing us as prey. If, on the other hand, we were living in a parallel universe where cats were and always had been bigger than us, then we would definitely have to watch out. Science... amazing stuff, eh?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Frumious Bandersnatch

say, you think I could borrow that "embiggening ray" for a while??

Paris, 'cos she would appreciate it.

9. n

how to deal with a dog attack

the correct way to deal with a dog who bites your hand is to push your hand further into its mouth to the throat then make a fist. It will be your instinct to pull your hand from its sharp teeth, but this will only cause further tearing of your flesh. You must go against your instincts and push your hand INTO the throat and make a fist. These heavy dogs use LOTS of oxygen. Wait until the dog suffocates completely before removing your hand from the mouth.

If the bite is on the leg or body or on another person. Use both your free hands to pull the front legs apart. Dangerous dogs have weak lateral muscles on their front legs. By pulling them apart you will easily split the ribcage causing an immediate heart attack.

If you have a small legal pocketknife, push that into the dogs eye. The brain in dogs is VERY close to the eye compared with other mammals, so you can pierce the brain easily through the eye to end the attack.

10. jake Silver badge

@n @Chris G @SprayPaintTwit @Frumious

n:

I have a couple SchH3 dogs who love to play ... Would you like to demonstrate your techniques for the world? Or are you a loud-mouthed blow-hard who is totally clueless about dogs? I'll be happy to pay your way here and give you a per diem, if you have the correct insurance ... Should be good for a giggle, and maybe give me (finally![1]) something to post on YouTube.

Chris:

I've been training dogs for 45 years. Someday I may know something about them.

SprayPaintTwit:

I offer you the same as 'n' ... Not that I think that your tale is real. A dog such as you describe would PROBABLY bite the can (and your hand), and ask for more ... NOT because they are vicious, but rather because in their mind YOU attacked THEM, and they are protecting themselves, their pack, and their territory. Note that I haven't commented on the supposed negligence of the owner; I wasn't there, all I know is that you committed animal abuse.

Frumious:

Terriers are designed to do a job. When that job is not available, they invent one. Terriers are NOT house pets, they are varminters (modern toys such as Yorkies excepted). People trying to turn working dogs into house pets without giving that house pet a proper job should be taken out behind the barn and severely whipped.

[1] Can everyone detect the sarcasm?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Re: how to deal with a dog attack

Yeeowch! Pretty sadistic ways of offing a dog, man!

One thing I learned that I wish I hadn't was one of those "how to kill a dog" things. A drunk was staggering on the street at 4 A.M. when a dog decided to attack him. He swiftly proceeded to grab his jaws, and *open them wide until they cracked*. The dog just went down and whimped with horrible sounds until it died on the sidewalk. That was extremely painful to watch!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like