Feeds

back to article Windows Update to trumpet Vista Capable debacle?

Little did Microsoft executives realize when they blessed the seemingly brilliant wheeze of "Windows Vista Capable" as a way of flogging the operating system that the idea could turn into a bitter pill their company might have to swallow. But there's the very real possibility Microsoft's very own Windows Update and MSN could be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Flame

@Andy

Sorry to burst your bubble but "HD Ready" TV's are not capable of displaying any signal in HD. This "branding" only means that it will accept a HD signal and then render it as SD (or occasionally at a slightly higher resolution that is still less than HD).

The "HD Ready" stickers were another con designed to prevent a drop in the sales of SD sets once the true HD sets started arriving.

Of course I can't sue anyone for misleading me, because I new the full facts before I bought my HD Ready TV.. I just didn't care, all I wanted was a cheap and massive LCD for the bedroom that could accept a signal from a HD tuner set top box (which allows me to use HD features like EPG)

Re: Just Wondered...

No advert of Vista has ever NOT shown Aero. And if Aero were removed, all you have that's new and funky is UAC.

Which is a huge PITA and just created so that MS can blame the users for their OS's faults. Just like the "This DLL doesn't look to be used by anything. However, I don't know, so should I delete it?". That's only so that the user can be blamed that MS's registry didn't know what the clucking bell is going on in the OS.

So your wondering is answered by the negative: Vista without Aero was never shown and only talked about on techies sites.

Alert

Sterling

Vista actually contains more than UAC as an improvement, such as a better firewall, file version history (restore previous version), and improved threading in Kernel. Heck I don't want to do your homework for you, read this - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc162494.aspx

The ability to run this new Kernel vs. the previous Kernels is proof enough that it is Vista Capable. The rest are features over and above "Vista" that cost extra if you want the cute bells and whistles.

As for UAC - I laugh when people tell me they turn theirs off, as they are likely the same users that complain that Apple has a more secure OS, and yet they just disabled a similar functionality.

As for your argument against MS in this matter, a case could also be made that the "Vista Capable" computer may not run Vista x64. Is that a reasonable argument as well? I do not think so, but I am making an attempt to be reasonable.

FWIW - The article states Will Poole is no longer at MS. I don't think that is the case.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.