back to article Google releases open source browser

Google is releasing an open source browser called Google Chrome which it promises will be small, fast and stable. Available for download shortly, the tabbed browser is explained in a 38 page comic by Scott McCloud. The comic explains that browsers are now very different from when first introduced - they are used for running web …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Coat

Squares

That comic strip seems to have three times more squares in it than you'd expect.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Divide and rule

GrahamT:

"The corporate market is owned by Microsoft, so unless it has an IE quirks mode (i.e. incorporates the same bugs) and the abililty to be controlled/tied down by corporate BOFHs, it won't make a lot of headway there."

IE is available via an API, so I don't imagine it's all that hard for a multi-process browser to kick up an IE session in its rendering window. I mean, they already do it in the non-multi-process Firefox (IETab extension).

Anonymous Coward

Phorm spoiler?

Any chance it protects Google's revenue stream from vultures such as Phorm?

Wake up folk this is the game changer !!!

Seriosly , what is wrong with you ... and your scepticism ... This is the come of an era of web enabled linux tablets and symbian phones - the missing link is here - THE BROWSER ...

So prepare for the real Internet revolution

Coat

Surely Linux version just round the corner.

needs to be included in GoogleOS... sorry good OS. Such an easy mistaker to maker

Mines the one with the big G on the back

Silver badge
Alien

What is There 42 Deny.

"How long before an OS? ".... By bobbles31 Posted Tuesday 2nd September 2008 12:10 GMT

Your Registered Wish is @Ur Command, bobbles31

Much More than just a CompleXXXX Simplified Browser .....with ITs Own AI Bowsers

By amanfromMars

Posted Tuesday 2nd September 2008 08:51 GMT

Google Chrome .... http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/# ....their new browser, is in actual fact a whole new Virtual Operating System sitting in any Operating System/Computer/PDA into which it has been loaded.

Google beating up Microsoft and making a Play for World Wide Web Pre-Eminence and Default Dominance through Soft Control/Product Placement of Shared Information ...... Mined MetaData.

And it is a SMART Searching Engine too ..... A Virtual Machine which allows Third Party Proxy Virtual Machines to Plug In and Run their own Apps..... whenever they are Good enough :-)

And now ..... to find it and download it .... for AI and Quantum Communications BetaTesting. :-)

Silver badge

Competition for IE?

I'm afraid the only browser it will be competing with are Firefox, Safari, Opera and other stragglers. I don't see how people who are still using IE would make the change... Most of them don't even know they have a choice.

Nic
Thumb Up

I'm using it to write this

And so far so good!

Try the right-click "Inspect Element" Awsome! Like Dom inspector/IE Developer Toolbar.

Very slick so far and the tabs work really well.

Coat

Guess what? It encourages you to let it phone home - just as we predicted!

Earlier today, I wrote:

Finally, as others have commented, it wouldn't surprise me if there's an option (enabled by default of course!) to report "anonymous" usage data back to the 'plex...

So, what do I see on the EULA screen:

[ ] Optional: Help make Google Chrome better by automatically sending usage statistics and crash reports to Google.

Follow the Lean more link:

Information that's sent to Google includes crash reports and statistics on how often you use Google Chrome features. When you choose to accept a suggested query or URL in the address bar, the text you typed and the corresponding suggestion is sent to Google. Google Chrome doesn't send other personal information, such as name, email address, or Google Account information.

We're psychic!

You already know which coat I'm reaching for...

Linux

Choice is good - Firefox for the Geeks - Chrome for Googlers - IE for the Sheep.

It would take an act of God to get me to move from Firefox3 + Extensions.

But that's not the point.

The point it to take back control of the web from Microsoft.

Firefox is appealing to a larger and larger public but there is a huge installed base of IE users. These users may not know who Mozilla is but may be tempted by the trusted Google brand.

To a lot of people the internet is IE ... if this webkit offer from Google helps change that then its all good :)

Thumb Up

Firefox - You've got t'ree, and you're playing catch up

The process-per-tab model is also present in IE8, so it's interesting (but in no way surprising, El Reg) that no one made a big deal about it when that went Beta.

IE appears to share processes for the tabs when more than a few tabs are open. I guess this is an attempt to mitigate the overhead of each heavyweight process, but does rather crap on the benefits for tab adicts. I doubt the plugins are run from a separate process though - this seems like a really nice feature of Chrome.

If you kill the process for a tab IE restores it without telling you, which isn't my personal preference. Looks like if you repeatedly kill it, it finally 'fesses up to the problem though.

What is clear is that Firefox have a lot of catching up to do. Chrome does seem really slick... and I can use it without associating with an army of self-satisfied Mozilla fanboys (who are already desperately denying the benefits Chrome brings)

Chrome...(obligatory quote)

"It was hot the night we burned Chrome. The flies were batting themselves to death against the lights..."

Thumb Down

Not quite

Actually, the thread/process answer is B-.

Processes have their own memory space, while threads share a common space. But (especially in a managed environment like Java or C#) it is possible to design a multithreaded browser so that a hangup in one tab leaves the rest of the tabs running unaffected. Equally, a multiprocess browser could hang if a deadlock occurred on access to the screen.

A cynic would say that rather than fix their AJAX so it doesn't hang Firefox and use 100% CPU half the bleeding time, Google are building a browser that tolerates it better.

Anonymous Coward

Open source

So where is the source?

Coat

decisions decisions...

Tis it wiser to pay for the convenience of IE through the purchase of a Microsoft OS? Or is it safer to bank the remaining vestiges of any perceived privacy on “the net” through Google’s browser offering? We're "Phucked" either way!

Mine’s the one that says ‘damned if I do and damned if I don’t” on the back.

Thumb Up

"browsing habbits?"

One browser to rule them all, etc...

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

User data...

If it can be proven that Chrome isn't and even later still isn't sending data on the user back to mommy then it looks like we may have something here.

where's the source?

here: http://code.google.com/chromium/

get it so it won't phone home and I might be interested.

the source

is here

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/archives/chromium.tgz

Paris Hilton

RE: Where's the source?

Here:

http://dev.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/getting-started

As explained here:

http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/welcome-to-chromium_02.html

Paris, 'cos she's BOUND to be a Visual Studio 2005 developer...

They must be joking!

Has anyone seen the EULA? I enclose an excerpt:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

check this line carefully:

...By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services...

So does that mean Google automatically holds the rights to anything I post through Chrome, including blogs, googleapps, and even posts on forums like this?

Stop

Who owns the rights to your content when using Chrome?

Be careful how you use Chrome.

http://tinyurl.com/54tn6r

Bronze badge
Stop

Great Chrome Plated POS EULA...

Nice EULA. I wish all those in this world who have a little power would stop being such control freaks and stop always trying to find a new angle or way to rip us off.

Unhappy

Missing something

Tried it. It borked the bookmarks it tried to import from FF3, and there isn't any means of bookmark management as far as I can tell... or find in those two widgets that are for "file functions" and "tools".

Until it does, I'll put up with FF3.

Thumb Up

Ooh SVG support, Ajax Business Intelligence is go

Chrome supports SVG, which makes AJAX graphing and charting a doddle.

I suspect now it is in Google Chrome that Microsoft will be forced to follow suit. This opens the door to much faster useful graphing in all browsers and paves the way for cheap Business Intelligence on the desktop.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums