back to article Russian push into Georgia could knock Nasa off ISS

Russia’s invasion of Georgia is sending ripples right out into space, with NASA facing the possibility of no longer being able to hitch a ride to the International Space Station on Soyuz flights. With the space shuttle due to retire in 2010, and the US not likely to have a replacement manned space flight option ready till 2015 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom Austin

Current USA vs Everyone Else flame war

I know about Godwin's Law now -- but can anyone advise what the technical term is for when a US flamer inevitably starts mentioning how we should endlessly grateful for them saving us from the Nazis?

2. Joe Blogs
    Coat

@ Gordon Pyrya

"And what exactly are those conequences? America is not known for attacking someone who can actually fight back."

Ever heard of Vietnam?

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Being democratic elected don't mean you are right.

The US was arguing that Russia can not demand the removal of a president because he's democratically elected-- what if the democratically elected country decides to nuke another country and it's citizens are complacent? How do you address that? Now, with a dictatorship, you have at least a target for ramification, but with democracy.... Wait, maybe Russia was making a point... Hey, being democratic does have its perks, if the country elected some patriotic president and he's done some serious miscalculation, the country can always disavow responsibility and elect another party. But after awhile people would catch on that no one is taking responsibility.

4. Jon Kale
    Boffin

@James Monnett

One final observation to add to the several other rebuttals of your spittle-flecked ranting: a major part of US policy during WWII was the (highly successful) attempt, led by Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau with tacit support from FDR, to turn the UK from a global superpower into a client state - as Peter Clarke puts it, 'the United States had a long-standing antipathy to British imperialism, and Roosevelt was concerned that the American public would think “their boys” had gone to fight in “foreign wars for the British Empire.”'

Fortunately Morgenthau's plan to pastoralise Germany didn't get quite so much traction...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ James

you do not know nothing about russian history (the argument that preWWII high brass of Soviet russ was in jail is not serious and too swell) nor matters why russian military step over borders of Georgia There are 90% of South Osetians are Russian citizens and got their russ passports far time away instead of georgian as a sign of loyalty They are natively living on the land which Georgians' counts their own... so when Georgians military starts fire against Osetians and Russian military (based in South Osetia since time immemorial) Russians have to get involved

and Gori was preventive strike as a Cadors' clove which was covered by navy's fire as well Gori is a little country side right on the way from the capital of Georgia to Osetia and large portion of military forces deployed there

6. Andus McCoatover
    Coat

@Michael

"As a matter of pedantry, the US hasn't formally declared war since WWII."

That wouldn't include the 'war on (T)error' would it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ Tom Austin

"I know about Godwin's Law now -- but can anyone advise what the technical term is for when a US flamer inevitably starts mentioning how we should endlessly grateful for them saving us from the Nazis?"

How about Tom Austin's reverse-corollary of Godwin's law?

8. Doug Lynn

Iraq did have weapons of mass destruction in the works!

Hi, or didn't you read that the US released the news that Iraq had tons of yellowcake ready to make high grade uranium? It was kept secret until the could get it out of Iraq and it recently arrived in Canada. So the war of Iraq was justified at last....As far as the space program, let it continue, alot of new products come from the research done to go into space...including Tempurpedic memory foam beds.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Iraq did not have WMDs

period.

10. elderlybloke
    Black Helicopters

Attention Mr. James Monnett

Your Yank speak is most interesting.

Your president did not go into Iraq to liberate the citizens,it was because as he said many, many times , the former allay of America had weapons of mass destruction that could be launched on USA with about 45 minutes warning. Remember that!

Remember also that USA gave great deal of military assistance to Iraq during their war with Iran.

It is all in the history books if you can still find them over there.

Peace and Joy to you .

11. James Monnett

A Jon Kale

Britain a superpower? Not since about 1890 or so.

Britain and France combined were stalemated against Germany in WW1, and in WW2 Britain was, frankly getting its arse bombed back into the stone age. For all the courage of the RAF (and I grant it was a HELL of a lot of courage) by the time the battle of Britain was over they had less functioning equipment than some crop dusting companies.

Point blank, the average Brit has never lacked courage, nor has Britain lacked tactically very often either, what Britain has lacked as its empire slowly dwindled is the resources in both numbers and supplies to claim superpower status. Was it not only a superpower but arguably THE power for a long time? Yes. But as the empire dwindled due to revolutions, economics, or the corruption of the East India Company it has slowly lost that status over the years.

Too bad too, cause honestly I rather would prefer to see Britain in all her glory again from that standpoint.

12. James Monnett

@ ac " Iraq did not have WMD's"

"period."

No they had several tons of nuclear material. Would you rather we have waited till Saddam managed to hide a centrifuge from the UN inspectors as well and built some bombs? Cause that is the only reason he could possibly have for possessing the radioactive material he had.

13. James Monnett

@ AC @James

"you do not know nothing "

And you sir, apparently do not know grammer. I on the other hand happen to know history and grammar both quite well.

14. James Monnett

@in general

3/4 of this board America Bashes on a daily basis. Whats bad you cant even get the things that we deserve to be bashed on. Most you then proceed to state how inferior America is, blah blah....

Wanna bash us and have us actually agree with you? Hit the points that are right instead of the ones that are because you THINK you're superior being from X.

Heres a few ideas...

Money wasted on locking people up for Marijuana

Pilots who end up on no fly lists

the idiocy of voluntary deportation programs for illegal aliens

Money we waste on foreign aid

There's plenty of things we screw up. Iraq wasn't one of them. Afghanistan wasn't one of them. The space shuttle.... arguable. Backing Georgia's territorial rights? Not one of the things we should be getting our chop's busted over. Our citizens having guns? guess what so do yours, difference is, over here it isn't JUST criminals who have them, and personally given a choice of me having one being ex military and a criminal having them as well, versus ONLY the criminal having them I think I'd rather be able to shoot back ladies and gentlemen. If you don't want to in the same situation that's your choice, allow me mine.

In short gentlemen and ladies, wanna gripe about Americans do so honestly and on the right topics. Stating half truths such as "Iraq didn't have WMD's" when it is proven fact they had significant stockpiles of nuclear and other materials for various WMD's even if they hadn't been built/enriched yet is going to piss us off, same as if I said "France makes shitty wine" it would piss off a Frenchman. Guess what though, gripe about what we do right, or atleast not wrong, and yah, we're gonna gripe about how many times we've saved Euroass and how little gratitude anyone except the British have about it or ever did have about it.

For those who wish to doubt Russia's intentions. Look to History, cause otherwise we'll ALL be repeating it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like