Feeds

back to article The IT Crowd goes west

Cult geek comedy The IT Crowd, has been sold to a US cable channel and the scripts for the third series have been delivered to producers. Series creator Graham Linehan admitted on his blog that he'd cut the deadline a bit fine and so could do with some help in making the series look and feel sufficiently geeky. He said he wants …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

There are some good episodes in the second series too....

I quote : "You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a baby. You wouldn't shoot a policeman. And then steal his helmet. You wouldn't shit in his helmet. And then send it to the policeman's grieving widow. And then steal it again! Downloading films is stealing. If you do it, you will face the consequences. "

LMAO :)

Silver badge

German copy

Well they also licensed the show to germany. I think it only lasted 3 episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9RLaKUiiqk

Silver badge

If they Americanize this...

What would happen to the 0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3 joke?

The US hasn't done the 118-xxx thing, and in their case, 911 *is* the emergency number.

I find the series kind of fun, but I prefer BOFH-like humor (IT guys exacting revenge on lusers) instead of humor based on taking potshots at geeks.

Thumb Up

In the middle of corn

I am in Indiana,USA and I really enjoyed this show. I think they did a decent job. It reminds me of the young ones at times, which I enjoyed as well. Of course I have to wade through all the reality shit here in the USA.

As for the "Big Bang Theory" It is not the same as this. It is a good show in it's own right and worth the watch.

Thumb Down

Humour?

I thought a comedy was a program that made you laugh. The IT Crowd is the most unfunny show EVER!!! Even Eastenders can produce more humourous moments. The only decent comedy since Red Dwarf has been My Family. For anyone thinking i've forgotten The Office, i'll just point out that it was just Rick "god i'm so untalented" Gervais being a complete prick which seems to be what passes for humour nowadays. I thought people wanted less crap on TV, obviously there are still a few people with the brain capacity of a dead flea who will laugh at anything

Unhappy

This will end badly...

As a New England Yankee that has the first two seasons of Look Around You on DVD (yes, I imported the Region 2 DVDs from BBC Video... I love my region-free DVD player), let me say that I found the first season to be the some of the funniest television I had seen in ages. The dry-as-toast delivery and the absurd takes on the subject matter were absolutely fecking brilliant.

Sadly, my biggest fear is that the American producers of the show will be convinced that the average American will be totally unable to "get" the jokes and dumb them down, or worse, include a LAUGH TRACK (*cringe*), obliterating any semblance of fine humour... making it "yet another British television import that mysteriously flopped once it got to American telelvision, why-can't-we-get-another-Monty-Python-damnit."

No, I don't hold much for American television, and if you lived here, you'd understand why. Please, God, don't let them make a mockery of "Look Around You."

Heart

Dear sir stroke madam,

"I am writing to inform you of a fire which has broken out on the premises of..." no, that's too formal.

Jeez, if you don't find it funny, don't watch it. I don't watch Big Brother, but don't bang on about how much a waste of airtime it is.

Nobody mentioned a dangerous Transformers t-shirt yet?

Thumb Up

re: I hope they like it

> ....but not so much they decide to remake it, and kill it in the process as has happened with other great british comedies.

Rest assured, us American geeks have already seen the first two seasons, and we enjoyed it a lot, thank you very much. (You actually believe a geek would wait until a local station picked it up??) My 14 year old daughter (also a geek) has memorized the dialog to most of the episodes.

According to The IT Crowd Wiki, there *was* an attempt to remake it over here in America, with only Richard Ayoade reprising his roll. (You can just hear the Hollywood execs saying "I don't understand that joke. Take it out and put in more slapstick. And make people speak slower.") Thank the gods, plans appear to have fallen through. If American television wasn't mostly shite, (with a few notable exceptions, like The Big Bang) we wouldn't be scouring the internet for British shows. Speaking of which, Pegg is a rat bastard for not making a third season of Spaced. I just had to get that off my chest.

IT Angle

re: Why...

> ...are we exporting this rubbish? It's not a geek comedy, it's a comedy that ridicules geeks.

Because geeks deserve to be ridiculed. If you can't laugh at yourself, what the hell can you laugh at?

Gay

The gay musical.

Rave reviews include:

"Not as long as other musicals"

"Tolerable"

Thumb Up

@Mike Smith

Great idea Mike, I did once mail Simon about a spoken word/radio play style presentation of BOFH, and he seemed receptive to the idea. You are quite right about the tech knowledge part though, at least the geeks would love it!

Thumb Up

1st season was awesome, 2nd see-sawed

I did find the second season only okay. Some bits were really funny, then others were poor. Hopefully season 3 will get its act together. Maybe Graham needs to hang out in more it departments. I never really found the new boss that hilarious. Okay, but not amazing.

Jen is well horny though.....

Thumb Up

@Mike Smith

Do the BOFH thing; I think it could work as electrocution and other forms of death of various members of staff (pretty much every episode) could work visually. People got to like Dexter, so the BOFH could even become an anti-hero.

I like the idea of a fembot female BOFH villain as well!

So don't just think about it; do it & try a pitch to Simon.

Simon has never been the same since working at Waikato; Hamilton has that effect. Perhaps it could be set (or at least start) in a provincial North Island town in New Zealand?

Happy

@Mike Smith

Love the idea, shoe horning the tehcnical stuff into the format of the show would be tough, but I just look at how well they did that for House and the medical content. If push comes to shove (as it should with a BOFH) fall back on the Hollywood old faithful add more violence or sex. Considering it BOFH more violence should always be the first option

You have all watched it with the leet subtitles, haven't you?

<Jen enters office>Hello?

ping

"I may need my slightly bigger glasses"

glasses++;

"We're watching you"

Jen.AttachObservers(Moss,Roy);

Regrettably, only episode one is worth it - base64 coding was funny, but not for 30 minutes!

Thumb Up

I'm a fan of the show

Anyone remember Jen's contorted toes after trying to wear shoes too small? Or the part were Jen was supposed to be dead and her head appears to drift past the window?

Makes me laugh anyway.

Boffin

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Anyone who doesn't get The IT Crowd or Hyperdrive is more Manager or User than Geek.

Hang your pointy-haired heads in shame.

Bronze badge
Stop

Can all those respondents who think...

...that the article is about RE-MAKING the IT Crowd in the USA please go back to the article and read it again with your fucking glasses on? Christ on a Raleigh Grifter!

It's a great show, Ayoade is simply a fantastic performer (his best episode is the one where he invents the bra and goes on Dragon's Den - masterful), Morris like some kind of terrifying comedy T-Rex prowling the set and Linehan's script fabulous. It's even got Noel Fielding in a minor role for God's sake, what more do you want? I hope the yanks like it, I'm sure a good few of them will.

...nearly at the station...

Silver badge

@bothwell re. Reg T-shirts

"It's discrimination against both girls and transvestites and it's just not on."

Just as a matter of interest, which one are you?

(not wishing to pry, tolerant of all lifestyles, try to be a 'modern man' etc.......)

(P.S. is sparkly finish foundation really good for the dark circles under the eyes or was somebody trying to play a trick on me?)

The real IT crowd

I saw a couple of episodes but it struck me as very dated. The characters weren't based in Mumbai using remote access and following scripts to fix 90% of the problems before giving up on the other 10%.

I am a bit confused here:

According to http://www.sroaudiences.com/ filming is in Pinewood Studios - why should the ydo it there when the show becomes americanized. Is it maybe just a simple British season 3 of the show after all?

RE: IT Crowd and also @mistercheese

I bet the Transformers Tshirt will make an appearance in V3.0 (thats what they should be calling the Seasons, right?)

America does already have a comedy about Geeks, but what I've watched was VERY hit and miss, for every genius gag, there was something cringeworthingly tiresome. Same seems to be the case for Lab Rats from what little I have seen of this.

Geekier quality gags have been used in The Simpsons and Futurama than you get in Big Bang Theory.

IT crowd V1.0 was awesome, but V2.0 was still good, and I can see why they tried to move away from the geeky gags to stuff the proles could understand.

Pirate

sold... to them americans...?

omg they are going to butcher it, rape it, ruin it, completely eff it up.

Tim
Thumb Up

Not going for realism then...

...I've worked and visited a lot of IT departments, not one of them looked like a comic shop or a batcave or any permutation of the two! Of course every geek who ever worked in any IT department certainly wanted such a set up, but with the exception of the BOFH, not one of them had power to make it happen.

If the 3rd season of "The IT Crowd" featured an office that resembled a comic fans batcave, it would cease to be a comedy, it would be the new ISO guide to IT.

Yawn

Total crock. The only relief from shiteness was Chris Morris' 5 minute performance at some point in the episode. Embarrassingly mediocre otherwise. What Chris Morris is doing in something as bad as this is completely beyond me.

IT Angle

But it's not actually funny

so why is it popular?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.