Feeds

back to article iPhone apps selling like hot cakes

Apple has been selling $1m worth of iPhone apps every day, Steve Jobs told the Wall Street Journal. He also confirmed Apple's ability to reach out and disappear applications previously installed on punters' iPhones. Steve informed the Journal that more than 60 million apps have been downloaded through the Application Store. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

Why all the fuss

It seems pretty simple to me.

• Apple *could* remove an application. I gather this is just for emergencies and will be rarely used.

• If you lost an application you'd get a refund.

There are bigger things in life to worry about.

Alien

iPhone

I'm ashamed to say that I succumbed and bought an iPhone on Sunday and then went out boozing so didn't get around until using until last night. The iphone is fine, itunes however is the most restrictive, pointless and annoying piece of software I have ever used, as for wanted my credit card details so I can register my phone, Mr Jobs can insert his phallus in himself.

Paris Hilton

@Dan White (and others)

My god, what's happened to people that makes them so angry about other people's phone choices. It's pathetic.

Anyway, to Dan White flaming Ben Jamieson: at least Mr Jamieson can read two different parts of an article, and string the logic together to see that they're not related. Pulling apps from the App Store is not the same as the so called 'kill switch'. If Apple pull the app, it stays on your phone. If (and I suspect it's a big if) Apple discover a malicious app (sending your address book to spammer, for example), they can remotely kill it.

Someone else asks: 'What if this was Microsoft?'. Well, you can remotely kill/wipe on WinMo phones too. And Blackberries. In fact, this is one of the features that make them appealing to Enterprise. Can Microsoft (or RIM) do this themselves too? Probably.

So, maybe the kill switch isn't ideal, but it's the lesser of two evils. If anyone can come up with a better approach to dealing with malware on a connected device, I'd be happy to hear it (and no, that doesn't include installing anti-virus on a phone, as some bloke above suggests). Nothing can be made perfectly secure -- especially not if it's a connected device. All we can do when designing software is build in mitigations and controls. This one seems fairly reasonable, and I'd trust Apple more than most technology organisations to not shaft me...

Paris, 'cos she's what's wrong with society too.

Coat

iPhonePods Next!

Next it will be shiny devices that we will plug into our ears and the voice of Jobs will be fed directly into our brains. The final phase will be when our uncool fleshy looking bodies are replaced by chrome and shiny glass bodies and it will be the rise of the iBermen!

Jobs Horns

However..

"a benign dictatorship"

..is still a dictatorship.

Bronze badge
Flame

Backdoors

That's nice. A hidden backdoor into your phone.

What happens when as mentionned above it get's pwned?

What happens when Apple makes a mistake like when like several years ago, iTunes deleted your second disk partition if you upgraded it?

Oh, sorry, we made a mistake and deleted all of your documents on your phone, 600 songs and corrupted your address book. Here is a $6 credit to the itunes music store so you can replace 1% of your lost music catalogue. Have a nice day.

Flame

@All the haters

Honestly, I don't think apple gives a crap if some comment-tard sat in his bedroom in his mothers house with his [insert linux distro here] dvd in one hand and his gentleman vegetables in the other drooling excitedly over his keyboard in his haste to post his hate anonymously on the internet buys an iphone or not.

I'm sure it'll *REALLY* have an impact on the millions that the app store and the developers posting apps have already made since launch /sarcasm off

Anonymous Coward

Not sure how that works in the UK

"Steve also confirmed that every iPhone calls home every now and then, and that the company can uninstall applications that it decides are no longer appropriate."

Surely uninstalling an app without your permission would be illegal. It certainly sounds very similar to the terms of computer misuse act. It seems a surprisingly clearly written law for the most part.

3. Unauthorised modification of computer material.

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he does any act which causes an unauthorised modification of the contents of any computer; and

(b) at the time when he does the act he has the requisite intent and the requisite knowledge.

For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above the requisite intent is an intent to cause a modification of the contents of any computer and by so doing—

(b) to prevent or hinder access to any program or data held in any computer; or

Thumb Down

If the users are happy

with handing all the information stored in their iphone over to apple along with full control of their device, no problem at all.

I had a proper look over the contract supplied with my iphone and found nothing detailing this capability and am suffice to say a little miffed.

Massive security risk aside I'm not too chuffed with the idea of someone else poking around in my phone (that's why it never leaves my person when outside the house), Happily still in the cooling off period.

computer misuse act?

No chance of this being illegal due to 'unauthorised changes'. Apple will certainly authorise the changes to the computers which they (i am sure the eula/ terms and conditions will confirm) still own.

Anonymous Coward

exact wording?

I want to see the exact words Jobs has used to confirm whatever it was he confirmed, not some second hand rendering by some journalist or blogger. I don't care about journalists' or bloggers' renderings of what somebody else has said because journalists and bloggers get stuff wrong or deliberately exaggerate all the time.

Jobs Horns

Lets face it

Steve Jobs is a fuckwit and all the people who defend him no matter what bullshit stunts he pulls or piece of shit he releases are fuckwits too. Let them live in their cosy little world surrounded by the Jobs Reality distortion field and we can all happily ignore them. Better still, lets just give him an island somewhere where he can rule and they can all go and worship at his feet, blindly following the dictator without ever having to think for themselves.

Joke

@AC

"Steve jobs is a f*******" etc.

Got to love that annonymity safety net of the internet when you're only 12. Can swear like a real grown up and not get into trouble.

This post has been deleted by its author

Stop

Flaming aside...

This issue comes down what is wrong with the Technology industry as a whole at the moment - That nothing you 'purchase' is actually yours anymore.

Music - DRM effectively means that you don't OWN the music you effectively rent it..

Hardware - Mobiles, Sky Boxes, broadband equipment etc etc. You don't OWN this hardware you effectively rent it

Software - Due to restrictive EULA licensing on a LOT of products, particularly OSes these days you don't OWN software you rent it.

Freedom to do what you will with items you've paid your own hard earned cash to pay for is being slowly stripped away by power hungry Corporations in the same way that our human rights are being stripped away by bleeding-heart liberals and our power-hungry Government.

This is not unique to Apple, its just indicative of the crappy society that has been created around us. Its about time the masses stood up for themselves rather than flaming each other over their choice of hardware/software. Its what they want, people. All the while Mac fans are dissing MS fans and they're both dissing *nix fans and vice versa the big corporations know there will never be enough co-operation to stand up to restrictive licensing/functionality etc.

C'mon folks, I reckon its about time for another peasant's revolt, don't you?

Mines the one with the pitchfork in the pocket.

Jobs Horns

Legal niceties

"i am sure the eula/ terms and conditions will confirm"

Then howcome nobody has noticed unti now? It seems ironic that Gary McKinnon is being dragged across the pond to face a life sentence for looking at data that the Pentagon weren't bright enough to make secure, yet Apple can modify the contents of your phone without permission or, apparently, legal hindrance. I wonder what the ramifications are for service providers like O2? I hope they've studied their small print - I wouldn't bet against Apple's lawyers unless I had very deep pockets...

Stop

GTA made me do it!!!!

People wasting time flaming about things that don't matter are all cu*ts!

Stop! 'cause I wish they all would!

Paris Hilton

Won't Someone Please Think of the Data?

Are there any apps that hold or save data anywhere? A calendar app? A ringtone player? Email/Vmail archiving? Personal voice note recorder?

If Apple removes the app, then the data would be lost or bricked wouldn't it?

No, a purchase price refund, or store credit simply would not be enough.

(Paris, because she knows when enough is enough.)

Anonymous Coward

Feeble

I think the reason Apple remove these apps is that they weren't tested very well by Apple in the first place, if at all. Some apps are so weak it beggars belief. Some apps don't uninstall and some have obviously been written by some feeble minded brain dead developer who has as much chance of getting his app to work as he has of picking up Paris.

Thank the lord that Apple is rescuing us from some of this dross which thankfully only accounts for about 10% of the apps anyway.

AC

said:

"Hardware - Mobiles, Sky Boxes, broadband equipment etc etc. You don't OWN this hardware you effectively rent it"

I own my mobile, choose what sim I put in (always a PAYG one).

Broadband equipment - well I own my router, although the copper phone line into the house is rented as in the UK you cannot buy your phone line outright.

Obviously I do not have a sky box as I will do nothing that gives the scum Murdoch any cash.

But, essentially the hardware is owned so I can do what I like with it - which is the attitude that anyone who has purchased an iPhone outright (plenty of places in Euroland do expensive but unlocked, so PAYG and thus contract free iphones) will have...Yes, let me know if something is a potential problem, but leave me with the choice to keep it or delete it, do not delete it regardless.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.