back to article Google: 'Even in the desert, privacy does not exist'

As Google's government-approved spycar fleet drives across the UK, doing its best to photograph every inch of the country, the search giant cum global menace has told the world that "even in today's desert, complete privacy does not exist." Back in April, we told you the tale of Mr. and Mrs. Boring, a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re : What's the problem? Anonymous a

Rik, is your first name spelt with a silent "p" or something? The problem is that this is the thin edge of the wedge.

We reluctantly allowed the government to use CCTV almost 20 years ago. Now we are the most spied upon nation in the world. The government claimed it was "for our safety". How many convictions have there been as a result of CCTV footage in all that time? Less than 20.

If we allow Google to get away with this shit now, where will we be in 20 years time?

And to a previous poster, your rationalisation is bullshit. the hypothetical Fedex van and Pizza delivery bloke clearly have business with residents of that private road, so they can obviously use it. Google's only business there was to take pictures.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Sarah

Arf! Promises, promises.

No - I am not Max Moseley.

3. Zmodem

put a

altavista box on all your sites amd google wont be able to waste billions, vista pages went simplified and resembles google years ago

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No semantic parsing

Their street sign needed to say :

Googlebot CONTENT="nofollow"

5. TeeCee Gold badge

@AC Re: @Sarah

Now that's been done and said, you can get the T-shirt (gratuitous Cash 'n Carrion plug).

Back to the topic: I'd have thought that the issue of whether there is or is not not a Private/No Entry sign at the end of the Boring's road could be settled with a quick look at, er, Google Streetview...............

6. J. Schadler
    Paris Hilton

@ Andraž Levstik

Under US federal law, and the laws of every state as far as I am aware, a driveway, street, or walkway servicing a residence is considered public area unless means are taken to prevent traffic (such as a gate). This means the pizza guy, the mormon missionary, the postman, the cops, and Google can drive or walk up to your house unmolested.

Paris 'cause I'd prefer not to be unmolested when servicing her residence.

7. druck Silver badge
    Boffin

Not satellite

Satellite images, at least the ones google uses, aren't a threat to privacy, as you wont even see your house unless its the size of the googleplex. All the high resolution overhead shots are _aerial_ photography.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like