Feeds

back to article iPhone 3G not compatible with existing accessories

"I've just fallen foul of the fact that the new iPhone 3G is no longer compatible with a countless number of my existing iPod accessories." "The problem is that, whilst it may work after a fashion in some, it won't take a charge. "The cause of this problem apparently lies in the fact that the iPhone 3G, unlike its predecessor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Jobs Horns

The fix for this is SOOOOO easy!

Just pay more money to Apple and re-buy all your accessories!

I mean, you pay for totally new shirt/pants/glasses/shoes/manbags/blingy watches/expensive haircuts/aftershave/hybrid cars every single time fashion changes, or whenever The Almighty Steve changes his, so why should your Precious have to languish in LAST SEASON'S iAccessories? Tres gauche!

If you aren't wealthy enough to afford new iAccessories, you don't deserve Apple. Seriously, you don't even deserve to be able to vote.

In fact, you're untermenschen! Homo sapiens malus are the superior species!

Joke

iDockConverter

iDockConverter coming to an apple store near you for only $89.95!

Spew bile much?

Wow, there's a lot of bile spewing going on here. Let's look at it from Apple's point of view, shall we:

1) we've got this nifty product that we want to improve with 3G capability, but this takes up extra space on the PCB. Therefore, we either need to increase the size of the phone (undesirable) or eliminate a function from the original design.

2) we've got 12 volt lines and circuitry to convert it down to a usable voltage. There are 5 volt lines that can be used instead to power the iPhone and charge it. We've also told accessory producers a couple of years ago that we were going to stop using the 12 volt lines and that they should stop relying on them to deliver power to ipods.

Hmmm, what would you do in this case? I know that I would probably do exactly as Apple did -- Remove a feature that they warned would be obsolete to make room for a feature that is not.

@cris

Considering the pricing model on the 3G iPhone, which is basically FREE for the 8G model with any kind of plan that anyone with a job would want, or £69 for the 16G model, your £400 quote is obviously reflecting...er, well, bad information. At best. As it is free, it is hardly a phone for people trying to prove their socio-economic status - but it might be a phone for those that simply want something that works well as a phone and is slim in pocket. And in terms of who owns it, well, let's repeat: "it's free", so it will get all types...kind of like complaining about the undesirables you meet on a 90p bus ride...

Er...

What's the fuss about?

I have several Apple universal docks and all charge my iPhone 16GB 3g. I had to take a knife to the one which also charges the Bluetooth earpiece as the new curvy back on the iPhone wouldn't fit ... it does now! It's the first time I have felt the need for one of those hand-blender type DIY thingies* with 58,000,000 accessories which would have been better than the craft knife and less dangerous to my fingers.

*It was a Dremel!

Gold badge

Proprietary?

Apple are proprietary?

Where are all these open source, open design and standards based mobile phones then?

Even OpenMoko has closed parts (GSM firmware).

Most things are proprietary on the market. So don't talk wet and say Apple are any different.

Sony remove things from products too, USB ports, iSync, PS2 emulation etc....

But... how come then that....

... Apples Universal Dock (the one that works with all the other older devices, has a remote etc) works with the new iPhone 3G (as long as you get the little plastic inserts to make it sit snugly)?????

Paris Hilton

PS It is not the only problem

PS it is not the only problem with Ifoney 3G , the latest hot topic in the Cupertino Pirates Roasting Forum is a number of white case new phones complete with pictures of the very flawed external casings after less then one months work in the wild are now sporting numerous hairline fractures as well ! Undoubtedly the other hued Ifoney 3G's will be reporting similar faults shortly !

This cracks me up of the form the silly users of generation one rubbish being bitten in the rump yet again , oh how sweet it is indeed !

Talk about throwaway preplanned obsolete technology being sold to the one in ten thousand flash mob wankers twice in a row in under two years , the Pirates at Cupertino have truly excelled themselves at fleecing their fans yet again !

Or as Ralph Muntz would say to these silly punters "Ha! Ha!" !

Choices with buying Cupertino Pirate technology being bought for it looks superficially cool or good , just turned a mite fatal as a certain socialite would say !

Coat

iDontCharge

Dammit I left my 3G iPhone charger and USB cable in the office and headed off on holiday taking the charger and cable which the robbers didn't want to take when they pinched my old 40 Gb iPod photo.

After talking about how great Apple are by using standard connectors I found that my cunning plan had been foiled and I had no way of getting any juice into the phone.

I decided to leave my fruity goodness at home and redirected my calls to my Blackberry Curve which at least has a standard mini USB power connector (nice one RIM). It's just a shame that phones don't offer an option to redirect text messages as well.

hate to buck the trend...

...but I had the third-gen iPod which came with a dock and lots of bits and pieces. When it finally died, I got the new iPod "Classic", and it fits just fine in the old dock... just thought I'd say :)

Handy reference for iPhone 3G Apps

I was looking for a car charger for my new 3G iphone and found these sites useful:

http://trevinchow.com/blog/2008/07/31/iphone-3g-compatible-accessories/

http://carljonard.com/2008/07/how-to-charge-your-iphone-3g-in-the-car/

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=231828

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.