back to article Barclays and HBOS slash contractor rates

Barclays is cutting IT contractor rates by ten per cent across the group, less than a month after cutting 1,800 IT jobs. Back in May Barclays Capital forced contractors to take a ten per cent pay cut, and now the policy is being extended to the bank's global retail and commercial banking business. From 31 August, anyone who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Paris Hilton

Contractors working for local government

Haven't had their rates cut as far as I know. What pisses me off is that the employer gets these 'contractors' in, they turn out to be nothing better than what we already have, and the permanent staff miss out on all the interesting work.

Paris, cos she's never worked!

Re: Hard Times

Well if I figured a contractor was working at 50% because I paid them 90% I'd drop the pay to 50% and also reduce the work to be done. If that makes you work at 10% I'd get rid of you because it's not worth the hassle of employing a contractor (and, if some of the stories here are correct, putting up with them making a system only THEY can troubleshoot) if the work they do is so worthless.

In my experience, 1 in 5 contractors are worth the pay of a normal employee or more. Paying them more for this is merely because they are in a risky employment situation and that seems fair enough. 3 in 5 aren't worth a single permanent employee because they either take so long learning how to do things they aren't productive enough or make something that "works" but only while they (quietly) keep it running. 1 in 5 contractors are actively damaging the company through incompetence.

Re: spot the difference

I think you'll find out it's the ones who THINK they are better than average go contracting. Or ones who don't care (know they don't care) and so will do whatever is needed to land a contract and then move on when they've sunk that job and get another.

Out of the ones who think they are better than average, maybe half actually ARE (90% of drivers think they are better than average...).

But unless you're quite selfless and VERY professional, you don't have the care that a permie does: when your contract ends, whether good or bad, you don't have to clean up the mess.

Being stiffed by your agent is slightly more common than being stiffed by your permanent employee, but not a whole lot.

Anonymous Coward

Take a chill pill

There's a lot of animosity here between permies and contractors. I've done both (am currently contracting), and I've known muppets and stars working both.

Permies seem to come in two types: those who wouldn't have the balls to take the risks of being freelance, and prefer the 'safety' of not being very good at their jobs, but being difficult to sack. Or there are those who are really good at what they do, and in return the company rewards that and they derive value from staying from that company.

Contractors come in two types: those who aren't really that good but get by because they can blag their way into a new role every few months. Or those who are really very good, are worth the money they get, but enjoy the freedom and the self-determination that comes from working for yourself. Oh and the lack of 'personal development' guff you get saddled with as a permie!

Continuous Reappraisal

"when your contract ends, whether good or bad, you don't have to clean up the mess."

Well if you make a mess in the first place, your contract does not get extended over the initial couple of months.

And you won't get taken on another time ... or called up by a former manager when he's gone to work somewhere else ...

So all in all it's not worth being unprofessional - you're only as good as your last contract !

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums