Feeds

back to article North Americans just don't steal handsets, apparently...

Back in 2005, when he lost his three-day-old Motorola v 635, Pete Gillespie immediately phoned his cell provider, Canada's Rogers Wireless. Among other things, he urged the cellco giant to blacklist the phone's IMEI number so that miscreants couldn't reconnect his $600 purchase to the Canadian airwaves. But the company said it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Tim

one for the mods not for publishing...

How can I change my displayed name? There's at least 2 of us Tims on this topic alone & I'm begining to worry about hearing voices next...

Pirate

Hard case Grannies

"And it is true, it wouldn't happen in England because it would be the granny in handcuffs. The law here supports the criminal not the victim. Human rights and all that! Just look at Abu Hamza? is that case right?"

BOLLOCKS

Anonymous Coward

Not political - just an observation

As a Brit living in New York City, I echo the observation that street crime is MUCH lower here, even in Manhattan. Yes there are bad areas, but for the most part there are lots of cops around (imagine that!) and lots of other people around. You just don't hear of handbags and coats being stolen in bars, or cars broken into - as seems to have happened to every single friend and family member in the UK.

There really has been a general acceptance over time in the UK of high levels of harassment, violence, and theft in city centres. (I'm really not discussing overall crime, violence and murder rates in the US where poverty, drug use and access to weapons makes life tough - surprisingly it's mostly in smaller towns and rural areas).

Of course, I'm tempting fate saying this - watch me get mugged tonight as I walk back to my car that's been broken into.

Pirate

Rogers - shouldn't that be Jolly Rogers?

title says it all...

Silver badge

@Philip Perry

>GOD forbid you try happy slapping somewhere like Texas or Arizona... Everyone's packing heat down there, you'll get shot!

I suggest you read this and then stick your head back where it can see just what you want it it see.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/02/19/homeless.attacks/index.htm

Flame

@AC "terrorist blocking"

naw, that won't be as effective as claiming stolen, unblocked phones are being used to create and distribute child pr0n. Then they'll use that as an excuse to shut down entire networks just on the offchance something illicit might be transmitted.

remember: Hate filled terrorist rhetoric and incitement to murder=freedom of speech.

an 18 year old guy's pics of his 17 year old girlfriend in her undies=OMG Child PRON! SHUT IT ALL DOWN!

Anonymous Coward

Sorry

I just really have not seen a phone worth steeling over, with the exception of an Iphone

Anonymous Coward

@ Why the U.S. Doesn't care about blacklisting...

@ Philip Perry

Having lived in New Jersey - my only comment about New Yorkers and killing muggers is - they don't because there is no easy place to bury the body. (Wet cement is preferred.)

Living in Texas - yup that is pretty much right. We had someone in the Dallas area who shot (killed) two people robbing his neighbor's house - with no-one home. It is called the Castle law.

Having lived in LA - who needs a reason to shoot?

Having said all of this - the cell phone companies should not blacklist but rather should be required to notify police when a stolen phone is added to the network.

Black Helicopters

@Andy Hards

"Just shitty basic phones that still need the antenna pulled out,"

You do realize that those 'antenna' are fake don't you? (Most Americans don't know it either but that is a different story.)

Sorry - I know too much and need to leave now.

There's also a technology thing...

Most American mobiles are not usable outside the US. Canada and Mexico. In the UK if your mobile is stolen then if its any good then it is quite likely to emerge in some African country with a new owner and new life. Here we've got some GSM service but you're more likely to get a CDMA phone -- no SIM, one carrier, that's it. (And, as someone else noticed, it's likely to be an old design anyway.)

There is also a different attitude to street crime here. I've heard horror stories from England about how the cops aren't really interested in petty crime, its too much paperwork and so on. Here in most communities the cops will turn up promptly and in force for even quite trivial things. People here won't be busted for assault for beating the crap out of a would-be robber and you never quite know if the person you're robbing is carrying a weapon.

sim city

Here in Carolina (N., U.S.), a stolen phone has a short life> say they call Hawaii , or the good ol' UK, the owner Disputes the charges when he reports it lost or stolen, and the next day the owner gets a new phone (updated), along with a new plan, with a one or two year extension of their plan, or use it as a good reason to change carriers! And every phone I've ever had has had a sim card.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.