back to article If your SSD sucks, blame Vista, says SSD vendor

It's Windows Vista's fault that solid-state storage isn't performing as well as its proponents predicted. So said SanDisk CEO Eli Harari, but at least he didn't go as far as saying it's Microsoft's problem to fix. SSDs are viewed as the heir apparent to the hard disk, particularly for laptops and other mobile computers. SSDs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Aodhhan

Its simple

If an O/S had to compensate, update and change for each and every type of peripheral on or soon to be on the market the O/S would never get released. It is a lot easier for each company to work on it's product than it is for another company to work on everyone elses. Get real.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Nothing wrong with SSDs...with the right O/S!

I have an EEE 701, with 4GB and 1GB memory, added a 16GB SSD. I run full Ubuntu 7.10, a copy of Oracle 10g ( Enterprise edition ), a GNOME desktop and an Apache webserver for my Perl/CGI dev work!!! That my friends is the power of an O/S running efficiently, and Ubuntu isn't even the most well tuned of the distro's!

I run databases and my swap partition on a bog standard SSD, nothing wrong with them!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Is it Jewson's fault that bricks make crappy wheels?

Flash based media was never intended to be used for swap, shouldn't be used for swap (Wear factors), so why are people surprised that it's a crappy swap media?

A far better engineered solution would be to build a non-flash RAM disc specifically for swap, or (God forbid anyone try doing it properly) place an interface in the next generation of PCs that incorporates REALLY slow memory into the Memory system architecture. Of course then you'd have the PC world sheep getting their nickers in a twist about CPU speed vs cache vs L2 cache vs Main memory vs Boost memory.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like