back to article SF's silent sysadmin pleads not guilty

The sysadmin accused of locking the San Francisco city council out of its computer network was back in jail yesterday after pleading not guilty to four counts of computer tampering. Terry Childs was locked up in lieu of $5m bail last weekend, after the city accused him of creating a super password for its new FiberWan network, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

RE ROMMON

You can Ctrl-Break through a console, and then reset to factory defaults and reload the image, although they probably have no backups, It used to be a one way deal, but if it has a recent working IOS you can recover, the IOS has 10 seconds now instead of 5 to decompress which was one of the problems.

As this guy is crazy, they have to wipe and reset everything anyway, he could be using a custom IOS or installing wireless links with a timer for external access in case he gets fired. I would use a scorched earth policy anyway, lock him up, nuke the network, go through every bit of kit and software and upgrade to VIsta as a wipe method.

Joke

So...he's not rotting in jail, he keeps getting younger

How come he's 43 years old in the earlier articles and 42 in the latest one? I demand answers!

Jim

How about this...

The configs have not been written to flash, password-recovery is disabled, and the morons running the show in SF didn't have a policy for maintaining configuration backups.

Anonymous Coward

Can we send him,,,,,

a BOFH t-shirt from the reg store?

Coat

re: Deleting accounts

Seems so simple right? Some higher up just "deleted" his account? The one account, apparently, used to gain superuser access to an LDAP/Active Directory backed network of systems. So much talk of resetting Cisco routers, and network configuration issues. If there was any user in the network with the ability to "Delete" superuser accounts, then there is a user with the ability to CREATE the same.

Now, let me get this straight here. The BOFH is locked up, and the.. engineers.. can't get in. Of COURSE the PFY is assisting the engineers perfectly right? Well trained I'd say.

Mine's the one with the cattle prod in the pocket.....

Linux

Would you work for SF as a sysadmin?

The guy did his job and was terminated. This fuss about the network being locked up tight while still running means he did his job. If they had asked for a smooth turnover to his successor all this would have been avoided. If they had redundancy in the sysadmin position this would have been avoided. If they had required documentation of routine operational procedures, system tweaks, and passwords, this would have been avoided. Bean counters with tight budgets mess up systems, too.

I took over a system (not SF) from a guy who left no documentation and I had to hack into every machine to regain control. When I left there was a 60 page manual with all the details of how to run the system. If I had been suddenly dismissed there could have easily been a similar crisis for the next guy but that did not happen because reasonable employment practices were followed.

It looks to me like SF is a place sysadmins should avoid.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums