back to article File system killer leads police to wife's bones

Convicted murderer and, er, file system whiz Hans Reiser today led police to the buried body of his wife Nina Reiser. In an apparent bid to reduce his sentence, Reiser agreed to drag police into Redwood Regional Park and disclose the location of his wife's remains. Police found a grave four feet by four feet by four feet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Andy Worth et al. RE: Reduced sentence

It will be reduced from what he would have got if he had not led them to the body.

This is not the same as being reduced from what any "normal" wife murderer would have got. It is very likely he will get a tariff which is something like:

X years (the murder) + Y years (the piss taking re: the pleas of innocence)

rather than

X years (the murder) + Y years (the piss taking re: the pleas of innocence) + Z years (refusing to co-operate re: the body)

So rather than saying he is hoping to get a reduced sentence you could phrase it that he is trying to avoid extra punishment for not locating the body.

2. Charles Calthrop
    Joke

@AC

"Congratulations. I'm guessing that house will probably be needing an extension soon."

Prescient. Have you met my wife? As soon as it stops raining, I'm thinking of building a patio.

3. Keith Langmead

@Thomas

"On the contrary, at least here in the England & Wales, barristers are not allowed to knowingly mislead a court"

That's right. A friend of mine who is a barrister explained it to me when I asked him the difference between him an a solicitor when it comes to trials. Essentially a I understand it, if you're taken to court you get yourself a solicitor and can tell them everything, including that you are guilty. Now I'm not certain about where the split goes, but a lot of the evidence gathering is done by the solicitor who obviously knows the truth, and this is then passed to your barrister to build a case for your defense, with them always assuming your innocense. This way the solicitor can make sure (while knowing your possible guilt) that they have covered the angles which may come up in the trial against you, without the barrister knowingly lying to the judge/jury.

4. Steve Kelly

@Robert Long

The "confessed mass murderer" was investigated and found to be a lying little twat.

Plenty of murderers have been convicted on circumstantial evidence. It is not neccessary to have a body to prove murder.

5. Bill Jones

@Robert Long

Robert Long wrote "Without even a body, and with a *confessed* mass murderer known to have been sleeping with the alleged victim, any jury that convicted had a screw loose."

Not to put words in your mouth but "without even a body" suggests that any murderer who can hide or dispose of their victim's body is entitled to full benefit of reasonable doubt. It's a consideration but it's not an automatic get-out-of-jail-free card.

The self-confessed mass murderer has never been charged with murder because the police haven't been able to substantiate his stories, I believe. That one wingnut has a wingnut for a best friend is quite plausible to me.

"... any jury that convicted had a screw loose." Just because people see things differently than you do doesn't mean they necessarily have a screw loose. The jury had the benefit of all the evidence, which also included the defendant's demeanor.

6. Steve Mann

@Robert Long

The key part of the phrase, that has to be explained in every capital trial, is "reasonable".

Clearly, the jury in this case, who for some reason have come under your vitriolic fire for doing a civic duty that most people would all-but chew off an arm or leg to get out of doing, found that any doubts they had in the light of the evidence they were exposed to were unreasonable.

That is to say, that it was MORE reasonable to deduce this lying, sociopathic, murderous, did I already mention lying git had killed his wife and hidden the body than that she fled the country while he was re-arranging his card interior (as one so often does) and hosing it down (who here hasn't said "damn the devaluation and damage to fixtures and fittings, I'm hosing out the interior of my car" at sometime or other?). Oh, and reading his "Hiding the Evidence For Dummies" books.

I'm amazed and not a little appalled that people are *still* trying to excuse this murdering git's behaviour even though he has finally admitted "it's a fair cop (but Aspberger's Syndrome made me do it)".

Wanna make book on that Aspberger's diagnosis in light of his record on honesty?

Hay-zoos on a velo.

7. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Heart

********, ********, ******* ********! WTF do you mean a title is required?????

[quote> On the contrary, at least here in the England & Wales, barristers are not allowed to knowingly mislead a court — check out rule 302 on http://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/standardsandguidance/codeofconduct </quote]

I read the link as http://www.bastardsetc

8. thombat

The "fled the country" explanation always seemed wild

Since the popular variant was "fled back to Russia", but not (that I saw) with any suggestion of how she achieved this without leaving a trace of the departure or arrival. Every time I enjoy the privilege of arriving or departing in the USA I'm left in no doubt that my passage has been comprehensively logged.

Now of course there are ways that this is done, especially in the more exciting kind of movies, but that's working against the "reasonable doubt" again. Which as many have observed above is a strong but not purist test: there is almost always _some_ doubt, sadly even with a confession (coerced from the innocent, volunteered by the lunatic attention seeker). Were it always cut and dried you wouldn't need a jury, let alone a dozen on it.

9. Beat Junkie
    Joke

Movie Potential

With the amount of movies out there about springing a convict from jail to prevent some terrible thing, there has to be room for yet another. But this time, Hans will have to team up with OJ Simpson to restore betting agencies' file systems before the Super Bowl. Hilarity ensues as they take stabs at one-liners.

10. Daniel B.

Re: Windows ME?

"I was expecting a slew of comments wishing 25 years of brutal anal rape on him, administered by large sadistic men in orange jump suits."

Nah. That I wish upon Icahn, if he gets to do his own first-degree murder of Yahoo!

Sadly, I truly hoped for Reiser to be innocent, but he actually did it. Sad, as it only propagates that "CompSci dudes are weirdo serial killerz!" perception...

11. Chris Fox

Working your passage

@ thornbat

"Every time I enjoy the privilege of arriving or departing in the USA I'm left in no doubt that my passage has been comprehensively logged."

Perhaps you should just buy a ticket like the rest of us.

12. call me scruffy

ENOUGH!

I've known a few people on the autistic spectrum who've been a bit "In Your Face", but they'd all have spotted that naming an FS after yourself is more than a little bit narcissistic.

Whatever brought Reiser to do this, he _did_ kill someone, he _did_ try to hide the evidence, and he _did_ lie about it.

@thornbat,

Your passage was logged? I knew that the yanks liked biometrics, but I'd think your passage is a step too far.

13. JC

Oh nonsense

Half the people I see posting on the internet would've done the same thing, gotten caught up in juvenile anger and it resulted in murder, not wanting to end up in prison or be shunned so much so they maintained innocence, then when it finally comes down to it in the end they realize they are going to be convicted either way and just want a chance of getting out of prison before they've died of old age.

Did you think all guilty people confess instead of leading the police et al on a chase? If that were the case would we need courts at all?

I'm not siding with the guy, obviously society can't have murderers wandering around loose if they pose a danger.

14. Basil Fernie
    Gates Horns

@Yuck. Sickening.

Much worse, I (and many others) run an OSfrom a man who duped most of the using world, in the process making himself open to charges ofhigh treason (remember the US Navy frigate/destroyer that wallowed dead in the water because M$ wanted it to rely on NT?)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.