Feeds

back to article 'HD TV gas' 17,000 times worse for planet than CO2, claims boffin

LCD TVs, praised as being greener than old-style tellies because they consume much less power, may actually be speeding climate change, a chemical expert has warned. Michael Prather of the University of California at Irvine has completed a study which claims that atmospheric quantities of the gas Nitrogen Trifluoride (NF3) are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Black Helicopters

you guys,

It's all for nothing when I get my giant battle robot and nuke all your asses!

Then I'll jump on my air ship, fire my nitros and I'll be long gone.

Yeah - the futures bright, the futures me riding a fusion powered mecha tastic death machine spewing fire, du shells and chaos down on your unclean hides! O yeah - so sweet.

Boffin

@Chris C

> It looks like LCD panels don't "scale" very well in terms of energy efficiency or power savings over CRT.

Probably true. Much of the power consumed in a CRT is by the deflection coils that scan the electron beam to and fro. That power is proportional to the deflection angle, not the absolute screen size. Most CRTs today have a consistent 110° deflection angle, no matter what the screen size is.

The actual illumination is caused by the electron beam hitting phosphors on the front of the tube, and since only one group of phosphors is targetted at a time this again will not be directly proportional to screen size. Bigger screens may have bigger dots, and require a more powerful beam, but the actual power difference is minor in terms of watts.

LCD TVs, on the other hand, illuminate the whole face of the screen all the time. That is proportional to the square of the screen size (usually given as a diagonal).

So it isn't at all surprising that LCD power consumption scales very non-linearly with size, and is much greater than that of a CRT TV at larger sizes.

Thumb Down

LCD Manufacturers already remove alot of PFC emissions

Some actual figures from AU Optronics Corporation a Taiwanese LCD Manufacture. They are clearly removing a lot of these greenhouse gases already:

http://www.ftis.org.tw/eta/train/PDF/2005110307.pdf

"All member companies of TTLA must install equipment that

eliminates at least 90% of their total PFC emissions in new

plants built after 2003 or engaged in mass production after

2004."

AUO 2003 Total Emission : 716,928 ton CO2 equivalent

CO2 - 54.2%

SF6 - 39.0%

NF3 - 3.7%

N2O - 3.0%

CH4 - 0.1%

GWPi =100-year global warming potential of PFCi

GWP of CO2 = 1

GWP's using IPCC default values are:

CF4 - 5700

C3F8 - 8600

C4F8 - 10000

NF3 - 10800

C2F6 - 11900

CHF3 - 12000

SF6 - 22200

hmmmm

just looked at my tv (LCD)

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3478645/Toshiba-Regza-42-42Z3030D-HD-1080p-Freeview-Widescreen-LCD-TV/Product.html

ouch! apparently the power consumption is ~250w! although it doesnt seem to boot out much heat though! the problem is people think there 42" lcd will use less power than their old 24" style TV. this isnt comparing orange with oranges is it? im sure comparing the same sized lcd to crt shows that lcd is maybe better?

i suppose this will be a short lived fad though, as OLED will be here in a few years. i think the power consumption of OLED is much less than LCD and plasma (plasma uses plenty more than lcd to my knowledge too)

@ James Butler - hey man dont moan at us brits just cos you yankies cant spell for shit :) (although seems that most english cant spell from this forum most of the time :))

colour colour colour! :) oh, and a 'fanny' is much more fun in our language too :)

Bronze badge
Joke

@andy bright

a remote control to "operate the kettle, oven and refrigerator,"

I had one of those - she divorced me

Is the backlight part of the problem?

I assume that the backlight being fluorescent is part of the cause of the high power consumption especially at larger screen sizes, I guess when scaling up LED based backlights becomes practical power consumption will go down and heat output too.

LCD using less power than CRT

I replaced my old CRT with an LCD a while back. Both 32" 16:9 screens, both made by Sony. The CRT used ~120W, the LCD ~80W. So clearly experiences differ from model to model, and also by screen configuration - I turn the backlight down a fair way on my LCD to get the best image quality.

Mine's smaller than yours...

Bugger the dodgy chemicals, suspect maths and all...

MY 37" LG manages 130w and the heat emission is FAR lower than my previous Pansonic 28" CRT (which you could burn pizzas on, never mind keep them warm).

Seems to me that there are HD LCDs out there, and HD space heaters...

Of course, if you really want to bugger the environment, have to install AirCon, and generally be an enviro-vandal... there's always a Plasma screen :-)

Pirate

more money

for the global warming industry now on the way, lets see which politician jumps on this one first?

Boffin

Whether you agree ideologically or not, renewable is the way to go.

To all those people who are somehow offended by the scientists, it's okay, you don't have to listen. But, BTW, if we had been listening to this global warming stuff for the last 30 years, we would be independent of oil a lot more now, and the world economy wouldn't be looking over the edge of cliff. That is all.

Bronze badge

Power consumption

Our large 53-inch Rear Projection TV with three CRT projector tubes: I measured (using the 'Kill-o-watt' gadget) 1.1 amperes times 120 volts = 132 watts when in use. When I finally get around to replacing it with a 50+ inch LCD, I expect the power consumption will be higher.

Of course, in Canada, the heating season is about 8 months of the year. So the power consumption for 2/3 of the year is completely free, since it offsets the electric heat.

Alien

crt lcd oled

>i suppose this will be a short lived fad though, as OLED will be here in a few years. i think the power consumption of OLED is much less than LCD and plasma (plasma uses plenty more than lcd to my knowledge too)<

I bought my 28in CRT about 8 years ago, just replaced it with a 32in LCD (the CRT went to my brother as it still works perfectly - his 10+ years 20in CRT went to our mother as her CRT TV - about 30 years old was kinda on the blink, very purple). I'm not expecting to change to OLED for at least 5 to 10 years - probably by which time 3D holographic displays will be all the rage, I'll get one of them.

The planet is in no danger, just the <stupid> people living on her. All this eco stuff is just trying to avert the coming human cull, unfortunately it's probably unavoidable. I hope I just live long enough to be able to download myself into a solar powered computer - so get a move on AI overlords...

Gold badge
Joke

@Louis.

Well, there was me thinking that the world had only gone pear-shaped recently.

There was I blaming the eco-nazis, Gordon Brown and OPEC and it's actually all Columbus' fault.

Flame

lighter than lead

HEY if this shit is so heavy and it is really heavy how does it get up in the the upper atmosfrear to insulate in the heat traped below it ??????????????????

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.