back to article Available to buy: your own frakkin' 7ft Cylon

If you're a really, really big fan of the recent reinterpretation of Battlestar Galactica and have $8000 not doing anything, you could invest in your very own 7ft-tall Cylon Centurion. According to Sideshow Collectibles, each one is hand-built by a gentleman called Fred Barton of Fred Barton Productions, Los Angeles. And it's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Paris Hilton

Different Genres

I've always considered B5 and Battlestar to be more of a drama set in a Sci-Fi setting as compared to Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape, which was Sci-Fi with drama.

But yes, Battlestar is definitely the best dramatised Sci-Fi show since B5, without a doubt. Come to think about it, can't think of any other dramatised Sci-Fi since B5 OTHER than BSG.

Think I'd rather have Grace Park standing in the corner of my living room, but this would do if I had that much money to throw away.

Paris...cos.

Boffin

Aluminium!

Oops, may have double posted, hopefully the mods will catch the other one.

When I was studying chemistry a few years ago, one of my tutors informed us that Aluminium was now the internationally accepted form of the word, in exchange for the american Sulfur being used in place of Sulphur. However, since in general the americans were ignoring this, he said he was going to continue using Sulphur in protest :)

Anonymous Coward

RE: Alumin(i)um

Actually Rutherford (or whoever invented Aluminium in the first place) called it Alumium, from the stem Alum with the -ium ending to follow the metal naming standards at the time.

Then, for some reason, he renamed it and bizarrely chose Aluminum which after he sobered up realised didn't fit the naming scheme he was trying to follow so he renamed it Aluminium.

To be fair he prolly selected Aluminum because compounds sounded stupid otherwise, try saying sodium aluminate and then try sodium aluminiate. This is probably why Americans call it aluminum (although we all use aluminate pronounced alooominaate)

So Aluminium it should be.

However try getting the Brits to use Sulfur, even though that is now the IUPAC spelling.

Platinium FTW.

Oh, B5 was excellent and the new BSG is awful. Dr. Who with Chris Ecclestone was very good, not sure about the new dude though, although the ones with that Life on Mars fellow as the Master were pretty good.

Silver badge
Dead Vulture

@ Mycho

***"This vulture has been pecked to death by cats."***

That's nothing. This one was torn to bits by a Radeligian cateagle.

Thumb Up

Farscape

Agree 100% with Kane. I really can't figure out why Farscape gets so little recognition.

Also agree 100% with Mycho. B5's 5-series story arc was epic SF - and if you can't recognise that then you wouldn't know quality SF if it came and kicked you in the nads!

That reminds me.....

... I must ring my mother.

Thumb Up

Viper Mk II..?

Life-size Cylons are all well and good, but I really want a Viper (Mk II not those weird Mk VIIs) and I want it to be able to fly and the guns to work :)

Happy

Stately Homes and Mansions...

Imagine swapping out all those suits of armour for these guys....THAT'D be cool!

Anonymous Coward

Prop costs

You think this is expensive? The guy who made the Blakes 7 Teleport braclets is now offering replicas for safe - at £150 each! Yes, thats right £150 for plastic piping and a few bits and pieces including sliver foil. What was that Barnum said?!

Coat

spelling

Vacation

Aluminum

Elevator

trunk

Call

Cellular phone

I hope that has the effect of fingernails on chalkboards.

ohhh and tick one for firefly for me, thanks

Yes that the one with the pulse beacon in the pocket

Happy

@Ashley Pomeroy

i want a robot S&M moderatrix, too!

Alien

Farscape all the way

While I enjoy different shows for different reasons, Farscape had to be one of the most original shows, with the best actors cast for thier parts in quite awhile. Moment of silence for its premature death *cry*

BSG is a decent dramatic show with scifi elements, I won't take that away from it.

@Graham Wood

Sorry, your chemist friend is wrong. (But just think how much fun you can have telling him)

The internationally agreed name for element number 13 is 'aluminium', with 'aluminum' being an acceptable alternative.

The problem goes all the way back to Humphry Davy who made the first attempts at separating the raw metal from pure aluminium oxide - alumina. He called the then hypothetical element 'alumium' at first before settling on 'aluminum' where it remained for a few more years before becoming 'aluminium' to fit in better with the majority of metal names.

However, the Brits didn't get it all their own way, the internationally agreed spelling for element 16 is 'sulfur'. Tragically, it is now also the recommended spelling in the UK according to the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority. Presumably the precious little snowflakes in today's schools can't be expected to spell 'sulphur'.

Gates Horns

Skinjob

Thanks,

But I'll take the poseable "Boomer Skinjob" instead. LOL!!!

Joke

Of Numbers...

Hmmmm...Stargate SG1...Vega 4...Babylon 5...Blake's 7...Mystery Science Theatre 3000...The 4400...

I smell a rat.

ton

oke daniel this i would like to see

"so change left over for a weekend in NYC from a coupla grand then?" i would love to see someone try to get one of these onboard a jet.

No that is my boyfriend, he likes chrome. Or you could tell them it's a new type of phone iCylon?

You could put it in the hold, would f#ck up those luggage handlers that abuse our suitcases.

invented Aluminum?

Cool! can I invent an element?

Gates Halo

Pft.

Original BSG was better. Get the FOX news camera guy away from the cameras. It's like watching Blair Witch with more Shamalamadingdong script writing.

Thumb Up

New Battlestar, B5 and Blake 7 all the way baby....

...but not even a tiny mention for Lexx? I'm still in love with Xevv (that's Xenia Seeburg, go look her up). And why did they can Total Recall 2070??? Oh well....

JCL

Sulfur Sulphur Serenity

Hmm, sulfur. Sorry, I can't do it, I just can't do it. Mind you, I can't remember the last time I had to write it down so I think I'll live.

I was in HMV the other day and saw a dvd for Serenity going for 3 quid. I don't have a TV so I've never heard of it. Is it any good or am I better dropping my money down a drain?

Bronze badge
Boffin

Re: @AC & Spelling

"Oddly the merkins believe it is better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all... consequently an attempt to spell correctly is better than not attempting to use words at all... so bravo well done.. you tried."

We just don't really feel the need for certain extraneous letters. We WILL use them when appropriate.

Ex: labour/labor, colour/color

What point does that extra "u" serve, here? When pronouncing "four" vs. "for", the former has more of a short "oo" that the latter's "oe"; that is, it is pronounced (slightly) more like "foor" than "fore"

Do you folks really pronounce the "u", or is it silent? That is, do you generally pronounce as "laboor" and "coloor" (with the short "oo"), or do you pronounce, as we do, more like "labore" and "colore" with a "long-o" vowel sound of shortened duration? (This is NOT intended as snark; I'm actually curious as to whether those "u"s are actually pronounced.)

"In the same vain getting it wrong in Iraq was better than not doing anything! Oh and locking up an inocent man is better than not locking up anyone."

As has been mentioned before and often: never criticize/criticise another person's language without checking your own. I presume that you meant "In the same VEIN..." (...although getting involved in Iraq was both vain -- that is, availing of nothing -- and vain -- as in the vanity of one man who wanted to prove that his were bigger than his Daddy's!)

...And I have to admit: it *IS* true that your police don't go about randomly locking up innocent Brazilian electricians in the London tubes, so I guess that puts you one up on us! ;-)

"and heres some new Merkin corruptions...

Soldering is now pronounced 'sodering'"

Actually, we pronounce it more like "soddering"; your version (using standard "single-consonant-after-a-vowel" rules) would more likely be pronounced "SOE-dering", which I don't believe ANYONE here uses. (And again; no snark being intended, but do you folks on that side of the pond actually pronounce the "l"? "SOLL-dering? That just sounds odd to me.)

"a bot (as in robot) is pronounced 'bolt'"

Nope. Never heard that one -- neither "bolt" nor "boat"; always pronounced as "bott". I'm not saying that NO ONE does; just that I've never heard it.

Then again, we have so many regional accents in this country that the story is told that, back in WWI -- before radio and movies had started blurring regional pronunciations -- the U.S. Army 's non-coms were largely from the mid-west as they were the ones who could translate the orders from the largely northeastern officer corps and pass them down to the largely southern enlisted rank-and-file. (I don't actually KNOW that that's true, but it is claimed.)

Heart

@soldering

"and heres some new Merkin corruptions..."

I heard complaining about our spelling. Now it's time for me to complain about your punctuation. Learn to use apostrophes correctly!

And while we're splitting hairs, "merkin" is a pubic wig.

"Soldering is now pronounced 'sodering'"

I don't think that's a particularly new pronunciation. I've been pronouncing it "soddering" for nearly 50 years, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the first.

"a bot (as in robot) is pronounced 'bolt'"

Never heard that one. Like somebody else said, probably a regional variant.

But I'm not sure it's really worth starting another war over. :)

Heart because I love listening to British accents.

Silver badge
Dead Vulture

BSG

Come on REG, BSG had a sparkling witty first season, but what came after is political-mental-diarrhea.

I had to literally delete the rest of the episodes I had downloaded after the boxing match episode, that show died when Baltar was chosen president. Those Cylon capital ships that look like prostitution shops, gosh!

BSG now causes me will to vomit ever since!

All this newfangled spelling

I love how the British misspell words. It so cute pretending to spell like the French. I have one of the 1st best selling books published in London in 1686 and there isn't a RE ending or an unneeded U anywhere in it. As far as the silent L in solder, its been there along with the silent L in Salmon and other Latin words for over 2000 years.

Do these Cylons come with paperwork with all the corners cut off?

Thumb Up

@JCL

Get Serenity! Firefly (of which Serenity is the movie) rocks!

Also, if anyone would be kind enough to buy and send me one of these, I'd almost certainly be able to have it march about. And probably shoot things!

Bronze badge
Heart

Alternatively....

I'd prefer a nude lifesize "clone" of Katee Sackhoff please.

Oh yes indee-de!!!!

Dead Vulture

Vultures? Cateagles? Nah. . .

If you want it done right, use the Vegans. "Tails High, Brothers!"

Anonymous Coward

By Your Command

I want an ORIGINAL cylon not the modern CGI created hunk of junk!

/me leaves humming the old BSG theme and wonders whatever happened to Baltar

Thumb Up

Lets have a vote

American spelling: 300 million for, 30 million against. We win. 8-P

Silver badge
Happy

@Jeremy

English (and I mean REAL English) is still one of the official languages of India. 1 billion against. You lose.

S:AAB

Interesting to see a mention of Space Above and Beyond. I don't think I've heard anyone mention it in years! I think I still have all the episodes on VHS somewhere, too bad it got canceled by Fox like everything else good.

IT Angle

@Jeremy

Not only the billion Indians - you can't even count. The UK hasn't had a population of only 30 million since WWII.

Personally, I always pronounce the "l" in "soldering" and "colour" and "labour" have more of a long "e" sound than the American "ore". And why is it you buggers can't pronounce a short "o", as in "drop". It's not "drap", there is no "a" present. This is even more hilarious when you're trying a genuinely foreign language.

BSG season 1 is all I saw; It was was okay. SG1 is watchable in a soapy kind of way. Firefly sucked.

Paris Hilton

wot no "Andromeda"?

Sci-fi at its best - babes, spaceships and lots of fights involving both babes and spaceships. Its Nash Bridges in space!

Ok, so some of the episodes really lost it, but who needs plot with that formula?

Paris, cos there isn't a 7/9 icon.

Silver badge

@Jeremy

There's actually close to 60 million in the UK now, then add on Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and as mentioned, India. More people, bigger geographical area and a lot more timezones. A win every way.

Oh, and how about ZED? The only excuse I can think of for the US pronunciation is the alphabet song, where the correct version doesn't rhyme.

Can we have a mushroom cloud icon? Ideal for unwinnable on-line wars.

Joke

Tricia Helfer

8k for this, life-size fully functional model, I will pay :P

Toast

If it doesn't make toast, its not a cylon

Bronze badge

Re: Vultures? Cateagles? Nah. . . & Re: S:AAB

@ Robert Davis

QX, mate!

@ Chris McKinnon

Another SF show that Fox batted around the schedule and never promoted worth a damn... Great stuff, though.

What's with all the "replica" requests

Can I just have the real thing delivered? I'm sure I can provide a good home to Lucy Lawless....

Anonymous Coward

Serenity and Firefly

Serenity was good, but will spoil Firefly for you if you watch it first.

Firefly was brilliant and is usually also available for cheap, as far as series collections go. You'll get more out of Serenity, too, if you've watched the series first.

BSG is worth watching, even if most of the political and logistics situations are contrived beyond belief.

@Jeffrey Nonken

>"And while we're splitting hairs, "merkin" is a pubic wig."

We know...

@Prop costs

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Star Trek Next Gen kicks ass and Buck Rogers is a classic but specicially speaking about films you cant beat 2001: A Space Odyssey, closely followed by the excellent Sci-fi horror Demon Seed.

And of course The Matrix figures in there too

Tom
Stop

@ MIke and the rest of you lot.

ARRRRRGGGHHHHH!

Labour and labor? are you kidding me?! You suggest the ‘U’ is silent, it isn’t, it affects the accent of the ‘a’ and the whole pronunciation of the word. With proper pronunciation of the way you spell it, it would sound like ‘La’-‘Bor’ not ‘Lay’-‘bore’

Yanks, just give it up, I know you pride yourselves in ego inflation more than actually getting things right, so it's hard for you to acknowledge the fact that you speak ENGLISH, so you have no grounding to even try and defend your bastardisation of our language.

But this will carry on for as long as your ignorance requires for you to call a game you pick-up and run with an elliptical object 'football'....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums