Feeds

back to article Firefox 3 Download Day falls flat on face

Firefox 3 Download Day began with a PR fiasco. For almost two hours after it was supposed to kick off servers were down and Mozilla Foundation websites either unavailable or publishing html error messages. The Mozilla Foundation had called on the world to start downloading the latest version of the browser at 10am PDT today - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

It came up briefly about half an hour ago...

... and I managed to download my 7Mb in about 10 seconds, then it went down again.

Have to say though that having installed, it's damn quick compared to FF2. Impressed with the browser, if not with with the server outages...

Happy

Surfing from FF3 here

Well whatever problems people were having earlier It's downloadable now.

Holy crap, it renders pages really fast!

Lots of new extra features, just having a dig around now.

I like it, a lot.

Anonymous Coward

Why do the BBC actively promote some commercial products?

I'm really not bothered if Firefox gets into the news but...

The BBC News site currenly has TWO articles about Firefox 3 and have the logo in more than once place on the same page but there wasn't a single mention of Opera 9.5 last week. There isn't even a reference to it or Safari in the Firefox articles.

The BBC are state funded and bang on about the need to be impatial and unbiased about some things yet whenever it comes to certain topics they turn into a PR machine. The same thing applies to the Apple iPod and iPhone. There are some journalist who are bribed by companies to give good PR in their articles/reviews but even some of those aren't a patch on what the BBC volunteer to do for some products. I don't think for a minute that Apple or Mozilla make the BBC do any of this, so are they just staffed by a load of fanboys?

I would imagine expressing a bias for a certain religion or political party would affect your chances of getting up the ladder in BBC News, but I bet they don't consider whether the candidate is a Mac fanatic or Firefox fanboy before asigning them the task of writing a browser or smartphone article.

Heart

Bugs and Records...

personally I've not had any crashes in RC3 since I updated J2RE and I've used it a lot. Also just want to point out Mr Cynical but they're not trying to break a non existent record, it's about setting a new one, and yes it's pure marketing hype but Firefox deserves it.

Thumb Down

Publicity Whoring

Doesn't everyone bitch when Microsoft does this sort of thing? But since it's Firefox it's cool and hip.

I hate Firefox, I rarely use it. Sure it has some cool things, but for the most part, who cares? IE7 works great for me.

Firefox fanboys are getting to be almost as bad as the Apple ones.

People still use ff?

Windoze users, please see k-meleon

Everyone else should be using links.

Paris Hilton

1...2....Buckle your...um..site

Am i the only person to find it ironic that even Mozilla, who've known how many people are going to try DL this through their pledge system, has had their site buckle under the strain....way to go mozilla....

Paris - 'cause she'd have planned things better - honest.

Go

Non-story chaps, come on ...

Just downloaded it, no issues whatsoever. The usual El Reg hyperbole ;-)

Tim

Now its broken

Damn, RC2 was working like a dream on my Linux box.

The actual final version has introduced a number of bugs which are really pissing me off :(

That and the hour long wait for their servers to come back to life means its a big lose from me.

Go

guess what browser i used to read this article?

(which translates as "it's working again now!")

Anonymous Coward

Wondered when this story would be updated...

For those who just think a download party is a pile of Web 2.0 s**te you can download it froom http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/

If you're really lucky the download won't even count to the total.

Paris Hilton

FF3 RC

Stable as they come on, OS X, Ubuntu (b5) and Xp.

Paris cos I'm sure her one night was downloaded more.

Efros

Pirate

@Laxman

No problems here running FF3RC2 on Windows XP SP2, Ubuntu Linux 8.04, or OS X 10.5.3... perhaps your problem is Vista?

Go

Works for me now

I just downloaded the British localised version at over 150KB/s from mozilla.com

Thumb Up

Seems to back up

Downloading at 85KB/s at the moment, so not too shabby on bandwidth

Collapse Of Servers

I saw this coming......

Not release yet, though

Heh. Site starts working, you click 'download'

.. and it downloads RC3.

Way to go guys. A DDOS followed by downloading the wrong version.

FF will not make the record due to the fact server is down for hrs

pity isn't it?

I will be shock if record breaking download achieved.

Thumb Up

Using FF3 here too

And the surfing is good! I don't care about the record, I just want my browser!

Heart

erm...

download at http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

now you love me :B

Unhappy

I finally fot FF3....

only to have it crash when I went to check out the far cry 2 website :'(. And mouse gestures won't work now either .....grumble grumble grumble

Thumb Down

That's a good start...

Just received a mail from Mozilla as I thought I'd make the download pledge in a show of good faith :-)

However trying to get to their site which takes agggeess I find myself with the opportunity to download 2.0.x.x.

However I'm somewhat smitten with Opera 9.5, so I'm no longer in any real hurry!

Anonymous Coward

Windows Live Hotmail

I've just downloaded 3.0. Seems really quick, fast and snappy. Only thing of annoyance so far is hotmail reverts to classic version... My gmail works fine though. I suspect MS need to update their browser version lists.

IE

Not to dismiss firefox, but this is pointless and embarrassing. Why not run a torrent version instead, something different and it could be tracked centrally so set a record.

Akami handle downloads of far bigger numbers every day, as do microsoft.

Thumb Down

Lovely

But I need that effing Google sync - Godd***it. And it insists on installing over FF" even in advanced mode.

Go

Working

We're getting it fine here now.

In the right version i might add.

Great new browser , whatever the record attempt's result

you win downloading it. Everyone wins.

Ric

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

@Jeanl

As there currently isn't a record, then even if only one file was downloaded, that would be a New Record. Do keep up.

Does anyone know if Ubuntu has automagically included FF3 in the daily update list? I have downloaded FF3 as a Tar thingy, but no point overwriting a repository package, is there?

Steven R

Paris, because I'm too thick to use Linux

Gav
Thumb Up

mozilla-europe.org

Download it from the European site. And my word, page rendering is like lightning compared to previous version.

Thumb Up

FF3 No problem

Whats the problem - loaded it fine to two machines - 7Mbyte at 250k/s.

Runs very snappily.

Go

YEAH BABY!

I'm posting from the new firefox. I see the big back button, and a bigger reg icon in the address bar!

Hopefully it won't fall on it's face now =) I'm off to beat people into downloading it...

Go

Works fine now.

El reg jumped the gun with the doom and gloom.

Coat

@G2

Thanks for the URL to the bedding site !!!

www.speadfirefox.com !!

Just got a nice four poster. Wife is now tied in nicely. So what am I still doing on here ??

Won't really need me coat, but I'd better take it so noone reads the name label inside. Best take my satchel and thermos too...

Flame

Just have to ask...

...to rile up the fanboys. Why should I care that your browser is open source? I use both open source and closed source software, and have yet to notice any personal advantage in the open source kind. I am not technically skilled enough to fix any bugs, or have any desire to (if a piece of software is buggy I tend to dismiss it and find an alternative). Frankly, I tend to come across less bugs in closed source software, as quality control is stricter.

Also; I see many people saying Firefox is better because it's free, and Microsoft alternatives are not. Hello? Have you noticed that IE is also free? As far as I remember it always has been, unlike Opera.

To be fair; I use Firefox because it is downright *better* than IE. And that's the only reason people will.

CTG
Flame

Occam's Razor

Ask yourself which is more likely:

1) Mozilla asks 1.5 million people to download FF, but then forgets to put in extra server capacity to handle the traffic

or

2) Some script kiddie thinks "hehe, I'm going to DDoS mozilla.com to ruin their party"

OK, so it's a PR stunt, but Mozilla aren't *that* dumb. On the other hand, there are plenty of dickheads out there who just like to ruin the fun for everyone else. Just like there are plenty of arseholes who like to post smart alec comments without taking two seconds to think about what they are saying.

Anonymous Coward

@Patrick O'Reilly

IST is Irish Standard Time, not Irish Summer Time.

Irish Winter Time is IST -1

(And FF 3.0 is downloading just fine now - at 21:30 IST, 13:30PDT)

Jay
Thumb Down

@Tony, Snap!

Yay a download... RC3?! Nicely organised guys...

Anonymous Coward

Who gives

a toss. its a web browser

Bronze badge
Flame

"For the more intelligent-minded ..."

I installed Opera 9.50 - It's a steaming pile of crap IMO. It didn't respect my Windows colour settings and what's worse failed miserably to even render the User Feedback form correctly when I went to complain.

I did the intelligent-minded thing, uninstalled it and deleted the waste of time and effort download.

Back using Firefox and at some point it will punt the latest bloatware version to me, and I'll probably bend over and take it.

Firefox 3 Download Day falls flat on face

The word we're looking for here is "hubris". If you announce a world record attempt (yes that *does* include establishing the first one) on the Internet, you are asking for your servers to go belly-up asap.

@ Steve R: Sadly, Ubuntu is sticking with RC2 for now. I quite like Firefox (for the record, I find IE7 awkward, but yes Opera with v9.5 is at last useable without intensive retraining and profanity) and FF3 is now appreciably faster than FF2 or the beta. About bloody time.

Thumb Down

<Yawn>

I guess I need 5,003 add-ons because the ones I really wanted aren't there. Oh well, I did get it and I did get my certificate ... I'm so proud.

Mozilla has the same problem others have (and some 30,000 people agree with me) it just ain't ready Jack. I know, 30,000 is a small number compared to the whole but still 30,000 is 30,000. And that's per the Mozilla site.

But hey, the boss of the outfit certainly earned his $500,000 salary today; he met the deadline. Well, he did meet 6/17/08. And that puts him in good company. It's said Mussolini, "He made the trains run on time". Very good Mr. Baker

Bronze badge

@ G2

> "I think that mozilla might have achieved the first self-inflicted DDoS, on a global scale nonetheless... that's a really impressive record ... and the first legal one if i'm not wrong, as i cannot remember any software launch that has caused this worldwide gold rush, not even the launch of Fedora 9."

I think Valve managed to get their authentication servers for Half Life 2 essentially DDoS'ed by millions of customers trying to play the game on release day a few years back.

Go

RE: "a bigger back button"

Scrap that. I had to tell firefox to show it!

Sim
Thumb Down

firefox 3 Url-bar Rubbish Behaviour

I downloaded Firefox 3 and uninstalled it after 15minutes

The url bar no longer autocompletes urls as you type it searches every thing the browser has ever read in a crappy fashion ( in the middle of words in page titles)-cant be switched off

FAIL

i am back on v2 because i cannot do without firebug

Go

Good one...

Less than a minute to download, less than a minute to install including an update to google toolbar. All my add-ons seem to work. (Will need a few days to really check most functionality.) Seems a bit quicker. Need to play a bit more to see what's hot but no issues with minimum required functionality unlike some versions of IE which fell over on start.

Cheers,

Mike

Go

Fast !

Got it installed on an XP box here to see what it is like.

It renders web pages in a fraction of the time ie7 takes. OK, this is not hard, but it really is fast, even on the old box it is installed on.

Most of the time fonts are rendered correctly, but el-Rej comments seem to be 'graphically' truncated - as in that 'e' is missing a bit, etc. Is the fact that I don't have XP SP3 on that box the issue ? Not blaming ms. Just haven't installed it.

Will have to try the Linux version.

Thank heaven for OSS and other alternatives to m$. Without this we would still be in the m$ dark ages, with no innovation (Tm).

Long live Firefox3, and happy baptism of fire day.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Cheers, anarchic-teapot

I'll just wait until it comes down in the repository automagically then - I can't be arsed dicking with TARs and terminals at this time of night.

As an aside, I've really enjoyed using Opera for the last few years as my forum browser - great for forums and websites that are surrounded by Javascript ads.

Open up Opera, F12, No JS thanks, No more ads.

Job done. Use FF for pretty much all else, bar anything that renders oddly in it, which really isn't much these days.

Now I just need to get Flash 10 to see if it works any better than Flash 9 for the videos on Drivers-Republic.com - Flash9+Centrino 1.7ghz+Ubuntu = stutttttter. Flash 10 beta allegedly better for it...

Steven R

Thumb Up

Aint half bad

Well I have it, and it seems a little nippier than version 2, but it might just be the rose coloured glasses. Piclens still works, my Web developer toolbar still works, only gestures that dont so had to get another one produced by someone else, but it does almost the same job. not quite as good as marc boulet's version though!

Thumb Up

2 million and counting

After about 5 hours there are over 2 million copies downloaded. This evening I will be downloading a copy for each of the computers I have direct control over.

Having read another story about this elsewhere there was a peak of 14,000 simultaneous downloads happening with a resultant trafficv flow of 13 Gigabits per second. So I think that Mozilla can be forgiven for having a few stuttering steps when world + dog comes knocking at their door.

It will be interesting to see the download figure after the weekend is over.

Thumb Down

Distros

Why on earth would I download it from Mozilla when I have a perfectly good copy integrated into my Linux distro? Sure, it's RC2+patches, but it'll be updated to 3.0-final any minute (and the RC works great anyway). The only package available directly from the Mozilla folks doesn't integrate into Linux distros at all and makes central installation for many users painful and difficult.

As usual the mozilla folks completely fail to consider distros. I wouldn't be too surprised if distro packagers would be willing to provide .debs / .rpms (to be included in the distros' updates repositories shortly thereafter) for mozilla.com to offer as alternatives to the .tar.gz bundle. The mozilla folks, however, never think about Linux distros at all.

They also apparently don't think about load distributed clustering ;-)

Linux

Finished compiling my copy a while ago

@Ian: perhaps you misunderstand the other meaning of free. When I say Firefox is free and IE and Opera aren't, it's a matter of liberty. Free to redistribute, modify, copy, or look at what happens under the hood (it wouldn't surprise me if M$ does data collection practices like Gmail does with IE, but there's no way to reassure me of that). Albeit Firefox isn't completely free (like RedHat) because they use name branding, but nevertheless. All the add-ons for Firefox exist because it is Open Source. Not to mention us who like to compile it can choose to compile stuff OUT of it so it's less bloated, and it's also compiled specifically for our machines.

As for the new URL bar that others dislike, it has grown on me, but I bet there will be an add-on released sometime in the near future to change it back to the old one. (You can completely disable it by setting a variable in the configuration, but I forget which one that is.)

This topic is closed for new posts.