Feeds

back to article Apple takes the operator's shilling

Apple's new iPhone is faster, better and cheaper than its predecessor, but the low cost is achieved by taking a subsidy from the network operator: a business model that Apple rejected last time, and one that will drive the unlockers quickly out of business. Most mobile phones are sold to operators and retailers - Nokia's biggest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

if only....

One day people will buy phones.

One day people will buy sim cards.

If only they could be combined in mutually beneficial ways.....

Happy

@ Tom

True, true, ...

It seems more of a platform than a 'phone and what an incredible way to make impact in the market.

Bestways may be to see how many wannabees follow on in the next few months.

Silver badge

Unlocking Costs

I just object to the fact that I have to *pay* for the phone to be unlocked. Once my contract has finished, it's my phone and it shouldn't cost me £30 to have it unlocked. It shouldn't be that hard for the telcos to do it automatically, which would be minimal cost. If they want to make people call and request it then they ought to bear that cost. Or to put it another way, ripping me off for an extra £30 makes me less likely to stay a customer...

@Kleykenb

It's Tw*ts like me who are first adopters who allow Tw*ats like you to buy things cheaper later on. So less of the self-congratulatory twattage, please.

On a kindred matter ... because I have a contract with o2 for my iPhone, I get up to 8Mb Broadband for £7.50 a month. It's an excellent service so far so I'm happy to be with o2 pro tem.

Thumb Up

@Lupus

Yes, Shell out £260 ot whatever for the 3G iphone on O2 PAYG, unlock it and use your cheap-as-chips T-Mobile Sim in it.

Also, if you are due an upgrade on your T-Mobile Contract (that RAZR must be getting on a bit by now) then get it, ebay it and use the cash to pay for the iPhone as AC suggested.

Plenty of other people wil be doing the same thing no doubt.

Jobs Horns

@scylto

And the best of all : the Rest of Us Tw@ts get the better device in this case ! Hell, in that respect we're the Early Adopters while the old Early Adopters find they can't even sell their Old device second hand.

Thank you to all the Early Adopters. Now you can buy the Jesus Phone II and join "The rest of us Tw@ts"

I guess that would make you a double Tw@t, Tw@t.

Gates Halo

@ James Wilson and others regarding SIM free

O2 cannot unlock the iCon and probably wont be able to unlock iCon mark 2 because the locking is implemented in the firmware by Apple and as far as Apple is concerned with the V1 at least it makes no sense for them to provide an unlocking facility and cut themselves out of he lucrative loop, and besides Visual voicemail won't work on other networks and that is really the only serious feature.

Sorry James but you knew what you were buying into, if you were gullible enough to buy one, you deserve everything you get, well fool you

Apple fans seem to think that Steve Jobs is a saint and he capitalises on this to do over customers, sorry but he makes BillG look very generous indeed.

@pctechxp

"Apple fans seem to think that Steve Jobs is a saint and he capitalises on this to do over customers, sorry but he makes BillG look very generous indeed."

I'm an Apple user (fan?) and I think S Jobs is an excellent presenter of wares. He may or may not be a saint according to a religious point of view. Apple is a large corporation out to sell its products and keep shareholders happy ... just like Microsoft. I choose to buy Apple, you are free to choose whichever platform suits and that's just as it should be, but choice is not always supported by the likes of the 'generous' Mr Gates (see below).

BillG, in his 'generosity' supports (through his Foundation) the system in China which says you are not allowed to have a brother or a sister. A touch of the eugenics so favoured by his father. Oh well, I suppose generosity has its limits!

Tom
Silver badge

@ Richard

You didnt sign up for the iPhone Developer Program, you registered for Apple Developer Connection and downloaded the iPhone beta API.

Well done, although the point was a couple of miles over there by the way.

Most apps written for the iphone/touch currently start out on jail broken devices because of the difficulty of getting into the 'legit' program, not because we're some spanky black hat that apple reject out of hand.

The app store idea itself is great, the revenue sharing model is also great, and anyone distributing a commercial application that makes themselves money will love it.

Someone who wants to write a non commercial custom app *for their own device* is shit out of luck without a jailbreak - or perhaps stumping up £50/year to run your own self-developed programs on your own device seems good value to you.

Most people seem to miss that the cost of the IDP is a recurring annual fee.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.