back to article EU mulls intervention over BT's secret Phorm trials

The European Commission is considering intervening over the failure of UK data watchdogs to punish BT for the way it secretly co-opted tens of thousands of customers into trials of Phorm's profiling system to serve them targeted advertising. At the end of May, the Information Commissioner's Office told Stephen Mainwaring, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Fluffykins Silver badge

Soooooooooo, how about this as another way of looking at it?

A Phormaceutical drug company wants to trial a new drug.

They approach Doctor Beatie, in private practice, who thinks it might just be a moneyspinner if it works.

Doctor Beatie mobilises a team to administer the drug to a sample of his patients but, cruciually, without the knowledge or permission of the patients; 'because it would be too difficult to explain.'"

Some of the patients are more knowledgeable than Doctor Beatie thinks. They notice subtle changes in their conditions and do a little research.

Concerned that they may have something unplanned and unwanted happening to them, they ask questions of Doctor Beatie's team. Doctor Beatie and his team flatly deny that they have administered any unusual treatment. They go so far as to suggest that the patients maybe have another infection.

On the strength of this information, some patients go on to pay for further investigation and treatment with other consultants.

At some point, the story of Dr Beatie's activities and his relationship with the Phormaceutical company comes out, backed up with reasonable proof.

Question: What would happen to the good doctor?

Follow-up question: What would happen to the Phormaceutical company?

I submit that "It was too complicated to explain so we just went ahead and did it" may just be enough for the odd director to get jailed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@By Dominic (The Pimp) Connor

Thanks, that gave me an overdue giggle.

@Alexander Hanff: letter written & posted.

I hope this Viviane shares her namesake's metal-studded forehead and penchant for extreme violence.

Fuck, I'm really getting annoyed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Since you asked for my views

I think Phorm is legalised spyware and that it should be treated as spyware.

It is worrying to think that this government along with Sweden and the USA are so into the idea of monitoring and controlling every aspect of our lives, it isn't to screen for terrorists though - it is more likely so that they can put all our information on CD's and lose them in the post again.

4. Mark

Re: Who gets the fine money?

Well, it used to be the corporate charter was revokable. It still is, but NOBODY is willing to use it.

So what OUGHT to be done is

a) fine BT

b) revoke its charter

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

BBC are co-operating

BBC published a story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7438578.stm

In which they state:

"During the trials adverts were stripped out of web pages served up to BT customers and replaced with more targeted ads, if available.

If none was available, adverts for one of three charities were inserted."

This is the exact opposite of what actually happened according to the leaked document, which was that Phorm replaced the charity ads with targeted ads.

I reported the error to the BBC, but has been ignored. This is odd as I've reported corrections to stories in the past and they have been corrected.

I submitted an official complaint about it, and it's also been ignored (so far). Perhaps if a few more people complain they might take it seriously.

One wonders who is pulling strings there.

6. kain preacher

@ac

"If BT and the IC can treat the law with such contempt I think we should be able to totally ignore the UK crime and punishment statutes and for BT's obviously "special" case reinstate Trial By Ordeal:

Emma Sanderson vs Red Hot Poker

Mine's the black cape & executioner's ma""

I'm cool with that. Since the US dollar is falling I 'll just hop a plane, work in the UK for five years and then fly back home with loads GBP. Oh wait I have a tan I might get shot by the plods on the way in

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

BT= Bloody Thick

Dear Mr. BT

I am cancelling my broadband contract as you are too thick to understand the concept of customer care and satisfaction, I will not be paying for the rest of my contract period either, you can pursue me through the courts if you wish, but I am assured it will be thrown out as my solicitor will use the now infamous THICKO defence.

Sincerely

Mr. A Thickophickulos

8. Bobby
    Stop

Be careful...

Be careful cancelling you BT broadband, ring their customer support first and explain your worries regard your online privacy then ask for a MAC code without penalty.

They can if they want hold you to your contract and either sting you for the remainder of the contract or lock up your broadband line forever more until you pay the full amount.

It's so easy once you get the MAC code and swapping to a spyware free ISP is fully automated with only 30 minutes downtime..

9. anonymous sms

15 June: BT/Phorm to begin trials this week???

Chris,

from an article in The Sunday Times

Competition fears depress LSE shares

INSIDE THE CITY

June 15, 2008

"After a troubled beginning, Phorm’s time may finally have come. The firm tracks the websites that internet users visit and serves them relevant display advertising. So far Virgin Media, Talk Talk and BT – where the latest trial of the technology begins this week – have signed up, keen to get a slice of the online advertising pie."

is this comment for real or is it to 'pump up' their share value

10. Alan Parsons
    Thumb Up

Letter sent

Letter sent in French to Viviane... Se y'all on the 16th!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like