back to article Acer punts £199 Linux laptop

Acer has launched its Eee PC wannabe, the Aspire One, pitching the product to Brits at just £199 including VAT - even though it's "not a low-cost notebook", according to the company. The One's specs largely match those of its rivals: 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 processor; 512MB of 533MHz DDR 2 memory with a single SO-Dimm slot for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Guy
Linux

Question for the linux gurus out there

From what I can gather the Linux used on this is Linpus Lite.

Does anyone know if this has a VPN client available, and also an RDP client?

It'd be a great gadget to carry around when on call, to be able to vpn into the office, and remote into a server etc. (I currently manage to do this in an emergency from a treo, so a small, portable unit with a real screen that can do this would be a BIG plus)

I know a number of other distros have this ability, I've used them myself in the past, but I can't seem to find an answer on the all knowing interweb as to if there's a client that will run on Linpus (I assume there is, but need confirmation)

Thanks for you answers (or flames I suppose)

Thumb Up

WANT!!

WANT! WANT! WANT!

SHINY!

*scrabbles around for 200 quid*

*drools*

Ok, i'll calm down now.

From price & looks alone it's an Eee beater from my point of view. Nice to see a full review sooner rather than later.

Linux

@MS Tax

"if you want a decent size hdd, you gotta pay for Windows!"

I think you'll find it's the other way round. If you ain't got Windoze, you don't need an HD (and these machines shouldn't have one). Eff off Ballmer - this is the future and you're not included.

Silver badge
Coat

Where's the crumpet?

Sod the laptop, where's the gorgeous bird to advertise it?

Mine must be the dirty raincoat.

I love my Asus 701 4G -but...

I wish I'd waited a couple of weeks for this little beauty. It has the big screen that would make the Web a bit less frustrating and those looks - for less than £200 there's a machine that looks as sexy as something from Apple or Sony.

Hmmm can I persuade the office I need to do a comparison of various sublappies?

Dex
Unhappy

What Dave Said

Wheres the totty? Asus EeePC was brought purely for the hopes of the totty, shame the small print read Model not included xD

Silver badge
Coat

Alas poor asus

I knew him, Acer.

Mines the one with the skull in the pocket

Happy

Someone gets it!

Asus started it, so they got it then they lost it.

Others tried to get it but they didn't get it at all.

But it looks like Acer gets it better than the rest and they will get mine and I will get theirs.

Then it will be smiles all round.

Dead Vulture

>You gotta pay for Windows!

<>Interesting twist on the Microsoft tax: if you want a decent size hdd, you gotta pay for Windows!</>

I don't think we are ready for direct comparisons yet. Once the industry has been sued comprehensively or a starter company can get one in that is direct competition to companies that have made us all pay, things could get interesting.

If one of these goeralongwiths puts out a machine with equal rites and the same price, M$ and ALL the computer sellers that only supplied M$ machines, can be sued successfully.

We'll just haveto wait for the Ubuntu or RedHat people to bring one out.

Now THAT would be interesting. Linux made, with a choice, at market prices.

The phrase "so we ain't going to" comes to mind. Pity the Register can't get it in print. I bet they must have heard it said "off the record" though.

Unhappy

Shame its an Acer

Nice looking beast, shame its supplied by a company who told me I'd invalidated my machine's warranty by installing XP over Vista. The same company who took three weeks to repair a backlight on a two month old Aspire laptop and returned it when I wasn't in, so it went back to Acer to be repaired again. Not to mention the other 1 year old Aspires I have here with failed DVD and hard drives....

Nice, a linux one for me with a XP install

Pull the SSD drive and either flog on ebay or use for something else, replace with an 80gb HDD, do my own XP install from one of my spare licenses.

No bloatware and at least £50 saved. Nice.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Again, shame it's Acer

Having had experience of Acer's warranty service, I really couldn't recommend the brand to anyone. That said, it's a £200 machine with no moving parts (Linux version) and a low-wattage CPU designed to not need much cooling. And with Linux it's very little hassle to rescue your system i(both config and data) if the non-storage hardware croaks. Mo MS Anti-copy bollox to get around.

But ideally it'll just force ASUS up make some price cuts, and I want to see an Eee 1000 before settling on a 900.

Go

@BigTim

Reasonable idea but you will then have to find all the drivers to make XP work with the hardware.

So not quite as easy as you thought?

So why not do the honest thing and at least try the (cheaper) linux version.

You would never go back!

spegru

Not out until "Summer"

So ASUS can keep their current prices for another couple of months.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums