Feeds

back to article BOFH: Testing the obscenity filters

"Hi, I'd just like some help setting up my Macintosh for access t..." >SLAM< . . . >Ring< "Hello?" the PFY says. "Hi, we must have got cut off, I was ringing for a bit of help setting up my Mac..." >SLAM< . . . >RING< "Is there something wrong with your phone?" the voice asks. "I don't think so," the PFY says. "But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

Dodgy filtering

Apple filtering is bananas. Consider networking and MAC <SLAM>

Coat

Didn't he discover voice recognition a while back?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/05/19/bofh_discovers_voice_recognition/

I think having the obscenity filters is a bit mellow .. undoing his past work and all that.

Mine's the Mac <SLAM> Merde! Doesn't it know the difference between coats and computers?

Thumb Up

Classic

Love it old school BOFH brings tears to the eyes and a cattle prod to the bol<SLAM>

Classic

Possibly the best BOFH since "lunar cycles". <SLAM>

Dead Vulture

The PFY & BOFH should be scared...

...Because if we all used <SLAM> then we wouldn't need to have so many coc<SLAM> uckers, er, helpdesk staff. They'd be out of a job.

The truth is that Windows is a nasty anachronistic mess. It doesn't work properly and it's a nightmare to code for - I speak as a Windows programmer here, unlike helpdesk staff who spend their weekends wan<SLAM> themselves stupider over XBox and fooling themselves that they have the first clue about computing.

Windows? Not POSIX compliant without supposedly POSIX compatible, but not really, extensions - and therefore not cross-platform. In short, a surprisingly popular dinosaur in a world that should belong to Unix. I couldn't care less which Unix variant - Linux (I'll permit it into the club, although purists say I shouldn't), Solaris, Mac etc. Once you've developed for one, it's quite easy to port to another. If only the same thing could be said for Windows.

My apologies. Rant (and, indeed, flame) over. But please, get a clue - abolish Windows (at least until it has Unix underpinnings), and don't open your mouth to respond until you've engaged your brain and considered whether you have the experience to respond intelligently.

Anonymous because I do have some helldesk friends, and because it wouldn't be a flame if it wasn't.

Jobs Halo

You Berk

<QUOTE>can't <SLAM> you accept that modern macs ARE pc's albeit with dodgy styling, idiot proof OS and massively over inflated price tag...</QUOTE>

Macs are PCs? Macs are Personal Computers? The shock! The horror! The revelation! Were they ever anything else? To think I'd always thought that they were kettles.

Dodgy styling? Matter of taste I suppose. I quite like it. Mind you, some people think Peugeots look nice. It takes all sorts.

Idiot Proof OS? I quite agree. Great isn't it? Idiot proof OS (or quite close to it) for newbies and enough power to keep the uber geeks happy and fiddling (courtesy of Unix). Oh. You meant that as an insult? You stupid <SLAM>

Massively over inflated price tag? Nope. Not last time I checked. Excellent value for money - but Apple have chosen not to play in the pikey end of the pool. So they just don't sell anything uber cheap.

Silver badge

Toys for Grown Men?

Apple .... Vorsprung durch ITechnik? Very Churchillian Fourth Rendering

Joke

Hello! I think they work in out IT department!

The C*$%^$%^*&$%@#!

<SLAM!>

Paris Hilton

Filters??

Now if only they can develop one so that the next time some idiot calls after developing a web site in Publisher and says that they can't upload it, they get disconnected...

Paris?? Because even she isn't stupid enough to use Publisher to build a web site.

ahh, Scunthorpe syndrome again...

& yes for you Johnny Foreigners, there is a town in the UK called Scunthorpe and yes, it has caused problems with email filtering software.

Happy

Very funny

Got me some odd looks from my cow-orkers, so it must've been good!

Anonymous Coward

BRILLIANT

Now all we need is the return of clickety-cl<SLAM>

Funny, come to think of it. I didn't know the Internet did a <SLAM> whenever a packet was dropped.

RE: Good old days of BOFH

As a matter of fact <SLAM>

I can't <SLAM>

help but <SLAM>

think that what goes around comes <SLAM>

Oh, never mind ...

One wonders

What do the BOFH and PFY's users use for desktop machines? Obviously not Macs from this episode but I have not read (maybe missed) anything about their deals with anti-virus companies and programs. There must be so much BOFH-ish fun to be had with such things. They could blame almost anything on viruses, spyware, etc.

Perhaps they are all running Gnome or KDE desktops on Solaris or Linux or something?

Thumb Up

No hardware

Best BOFH evar.

Simon doesn't use a desktop machine, he just reads the source code and communicates telepathically with his peripherals.

PFY's box

We don't know what the PFY's work box is, but we do know he does (or at least, did) have a stockpile of Acorn Archimedes boxes...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.