Feeds

back to article Tory proposes street-legal Segway legalisation

The Segway personal transporter should be allowed to be ridden on UK roads, a Conservative transport spokesman has said. Segway Should Segways be allowed onto UK roads? According to a report by the BBC, Robert Goodwill, MP for Scarborough and Whitby, has urged ministers to rethink the vehicle’s classification. Currently, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

How...

...are pedestrians, who have been gradually giving over more and more street space to motorised vehicles for more than a century, supposed to cope with a fairly large and heavy object almost certainly driven by an idiot moving at twice their speed along the same pavement?

I realise that I am actually making a huge assumption that anyone who wants to ride/drive/be laughed at in control of a Segway is an idiot. But I think I'm on solid ground. Suspect they are the same demographic as buying the WiiFit.

Unhappy

Good grief

I am shocked at how many oppressive nanny-state loving bigots there are posting here. What's with this urge to ban, prohibit, prevent and generally encourage the control-freakery that is prevalent in local and national government these days, hysterically demanding more and more legislation as some kind of panacea? How depressing.

Happy

Segway Practicality

I have been commuting to work on my Segway here in Essex every day for 3 years. The only time I don't use the Segway is when it is raining hard and to be honest out of a whole month this would only be an issue about 2 or 3 times. I have found the latest i2 Segway to be far safer and more practical for uneven pavements than my previous i-180 model and to date I have not had one incident. The only thing I feel the Government should do if Segways are officially made legal is that every body has to pass a formal test to ride one to ensure the safety of other road or pavement users. I noticed that some of you commented on the lack of exercise created by using a Segway, well lets face it people use their cars for silly journeys to pop down the shops that they could easily walk to now but they don’t so using a Segway is no different and a least you are getting the equivalent of 650 mpg in equivalent CO2 emissions. I personally feel that Segways are a useful and practical support mechanism to our over crowed roads and should be used in combination with other new technologies.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.