back to article Phones 4u accused of misleading customers

Responding to a "large number of complaints from consumers", Ofcom has opened an investigation into high-street retailer Phones 4u's selling practices to make sure it's playing by the book. Selling mobile phones is a very competitive business, and with sales staff paid a commission which varies between contracts supplied, it's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Hmm..

People slate the cost of the iPhone tariff etc and then you read all the above.... you buy the contract direct from the reliable retailer such as direct from Manufacturer and things tend to be a touch better....

Pay £15 for 6 million minutes, unlimited texts etc and you have to assume there is a catch, they're supplying the same hardware on the same network yet for half the price, clearly something isn't quite right... sure it could be the fact that the network has larger overheards and desires more profit, but they're not going to price them out of the market.

£35 a month for an iPhone tariff with come back and a touch of honesty is actually very good value... if you ask me.

Re: Better than Caprhone Warehouse By Simon Oxlade

The 2.99 tech support thing you talk about is always mentioned during the sale... by having that it probably enabled you to get a further discount off something else... You just to stupid to remember when you gewt the bill, anyway it sounds like e2save.com actually

I've brought Direct from Orange and they stuck on an unlimited off peak browsing package at a fiver a month, they never told me about that... it took months to cancel as well

Everyone one of them (networks and p4u) is in the business of sales, and like even financial institutions they pass sales-patter off as advice just to get you to sign, if your to stupid to work out whats right for you, then your not clever enough to own a phone in the first place

Anonymous Coward

Labour's coffers

Tut tut. Clearly the boss of P4U hasn't ponied up with this years required donation to Nu Labour. Well, a dose of toothless collar feeling will doubtless put this foolish move in perspective, and his firm will get unsurprising clean bill of health from Ofcom just after the party conference season.

Why isnt there a a 'screw Ofcom' icon?

Unhappy

In these modern times

*anyone* hands you a contract, it is in their interests, not yours, that you sign.

This is always true. The exceptions are so rare they are buried in the noise floor.

Coat

How come mobile phone companies all have these bizarre contracts?

What is wrong with a simple no-bullshit plain-english worded contract.

No catches, no gotchas & no crap?

Do these companies not make obscene profits?

Of course.....

So why not adopt the British fair-play system and stop forcing these almost illegal nasty pieces of contractual trickery?

Its not nice, its not clever

and dammit its just not Cricket! What !!!???

Never invite these Johnnies around to tea

Ignore them in the street

Show disrespect for their gel formed hair

and never buy from them .........

Paris Hilton

@ archie lukas

"So why not adopt the British fair-play system and stop forcing these almost illegal nasty pieces of contractual trickery?"

We have a British fair-play system? Distinct from 'contractual trickery'? Must have slept through that Law of Contract lecture...

The following OfCom slap-down for a '3' contract might provide interesting reading, especially noting your 'plain english' comment.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/bulletins/comp_bull_index/comp_bull_ccases/closed_all/cw_888/

Ok, maybe not a slap-down by the Mighty Moderaterix standards, but at least a limp-wristed fumble.

Pais, because she's almost synonymous with limp-wristed fumbles.

oh almost forgot

I buy my phones from either mail order catalogues or direct from the operators website.

Anonymous Coward

a very crooked firm

I have to agree with Mysterious Panda - I also worked for Phones4U years ago as a branch manager - once I weeded out 2 very dishonest staff I had a great team who gave excellent advice and put the customer's needs ahead of their commission.

However, we were in a tiny minority, and the company ethos actively encouraged aggressive selling - and indirectly encouraged, if not condoned mis-selling. Lying to get a sale was quite acceptable - you got the sale, and that was the important thing!

As an example, I was told by my area manager that I was doing a poor job because my level of cancellations was too low- so we weren't selling hard enough!

The only surprise to me about the current situation is that it has taken so long to come about - the company are still terrible, but they're far better than in the past - even if its not by choice but simply because the networks are more strict.

Coat

Phones 4U....

... is not afraid of Bill Ray.

Mines the one with 'phoney' emblazoned on it.

The wonders of prepay

Yes I know what a contract is but I choose to be on prepay, no DD cockups, dodgy insurance or pushy sales.

I buy the hardware and pay upfront for a phone service which I use when I want with no drain on my salary (I have the gas electric and BT for that)

Paris Hilton

Showroom only

Rule of thumb go into any high street phone shop, ask about the handset you are interested in, feign interest and appear stupid and let them wax lyrical on how good a deal you are getting. When you are happy with the phone demo ring your network provider and order it. Simple.

Paris because she knows I don't want insurance when I buy a phone.

Anonymous Coward

Ha ha ha ha

Phones 4U misleading customers. There's a shocker.

I used to work for O2 customer services and the number of complaints we used to get because of them. Complaints about us though, because they always seem to forget who sold them the phone. They just used to blatantly lie to their customers and leave it to the networks to sort out.

Pirate

Phones4idiots

I went into Phones4u to get a phone but they didn't have any. At least they were kind enough to sell me these magic beans for only £65 a month.

Pirates, all of them. NEVER buy from that shop, it is about time they were investigated.

Unhappy

12 month contract turns out to be 18

The one and only time we used Phones 4 U, we were outright lied to. We simply asked for a 12 month contract, with a particular phone and under £35 a month. They said 'Yes, we can do that' offered us a contact for £36.50 but can reduce it to £33 per month.

All looking good so far!!!

But then we signup.. they then pull £60ish out the till and send us off.Firstly cash back on signing up is not the same as £3.5 off per month.Secondly we specifically asked for 12 month and found we had a 18 month.

That was the first and last time I am ever going anywhere near a Phones 4 U store. (PS I'm not dumb, just lied to)

Paris Hilton

Muppets

It is more than just stupidity, I was blatently lied to by a sales advisor for dialaphone (a phones4u company).

He told me that I would have no problem porting my orange number after recieving a new vodafone handset on a 18 month contract. When i phoned voda to perform this they told me that they don't deal in temporary numbers and i'd be stuck with the one they gave me.

To Voda's credit they sorted me out in the end but no thanks to dialaphone

Flame

plenty more goings on......

As an ex-p4u employee, i remember that when i suggested a tarriff to a customer, the sales floor controler or store mgr usually overruled me, and suggested the tarriff that made the store the most money (shock!!!!) When i questioned this i was told to stop complainining as it made me more commission! I could tell you plenty more, but then the post will probably be rejected and the p4u legal team would be all over me!!!!!

Posting anonymously because of the legal comebacks!!!!

Pirate

PHONES 4 U

MY FRIEND GOT A HANDSET ON A VODAFONE CONTRACT FROM P4U AND IT WAS 1 WHERE O2 WERE DOING A LIMITED EDITION COLOUR ONLY TO O2- THE SALES MAN TOLD MY MATE SHE CAN TAKE THE BLACK HANDSET ON VODA THEN AFTER 14 DAYS COME BACK AND THEY WILL THEN SWAP THE PHONE FOR THE COLOUR OF THE O2 HANSET-

WHEN SHE WENT BACK TO THE SHOP - THEY LAUGHED AT HER- THIS IS A DISCUSTING WAY TO TREAT A CUSTOMER-

Paris Hilton

P4Useless

P4U are useless. I used to work for a Network Shop whilst I was at Uni. One of the lads in my halls had got a 'deal' at Phones4U, but didn't have a Credit Card to be Credit Checked against. No problems for P4U who checked my card for his contract...

They didn't have the phone he wanted in stock, but sold him a different one advising he went back a week later and swapped it, just so they could get the contract sale there and then.

Interestingly, I asked the P4U guy about upgrading my phone - which he told me wasn't possible on my network without paying a huge fee - which as someone who sold them I knew to be complete and utter bullshit.

I've also known them be canvassing in the street at 9pm and bringing customers in through the back door on the last day of the month to hit target.

Paris because... the network I worked for got taken over by some company from Paris. Vive les frogs.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums