back to article Ubuntu man says Microsoft's about to 'swallow a hand-grenade'

Well, here I am just a few miles from Yahoo!' headquarters and Microsoft's Silicon Valley residence. It's Sunday, and I've yet to hear screams from either camp. So, it seems that Microsoft's call to action deadline around the Yahoo! buy is passing with a lack of fanfare. Yahoo! may surprise us yet by leaking something to the New …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. The Aussie Paradox
    Paris Hilton

@ Shuttleworth? Who is that?

I do believe you made a mistake with this list:

"The Dalai Lama, Richard Dawkins, Kishore Mahbubani, Muhammad Yunus, Hans Snook, Masayoshi Son, Helen Alexander, Anatol Ugorski, Eugene Drucker, Hilary Hahn"

You seem to be missing Paris Hilton?

2. Power Pentode
    Linux

@Schroeder

Schroeder, Thanks for being helpful with the tip, but I just looked again and the 8.04 "Monitor Resolutions Settings" control does not have a locked dialog or an administrator button - it's just that the highest res presented was 800x600 and the "Detect Displays" bar didn't do anything and there was no manual override. Perhaps you're thinking of the "Screens and Graphics Preferences" control in 7.10 accessible from the System -> Administration menu but not available in the 8.04 menu? I looked in xorg.conf to mod the res but all of the usual stuff there is missing in 8.04.

My work desktop is a couple-year-old HP xw4300. It came with a dual DVI AGP NVidia 440-something and over time I added a scrounged Voodoo3 2000 PCI card and later a Diamond branded ATI PCI card with VGA&DVI out. My monitors are two brand-new Samsung 20" LCDs (I have a great boss), two ancient but lovely NEC FP950 CRTs, and an older 19" Samsung LCD that I use from time to time. I was only exaggerating to the extent that 99% of the time I only use four monitors. I ought to be thick-skinned after many years on-line but I am offended at being called a troll for relating a personal frustrating experience. If you ever find yourself on the eastside (east of Seattle) I will be happy to give you a tour of my cubicle.

At this very moment I am running Asterisk 1.6.0-beta7.1 on HH 8.04 in a VM in another window on my laptop.

Regards...

3. Power Pentode
    Linux

@Mark

> Now, did you try running XP on your box with the voodoo card?

Er, no -- I was running Ubuntu GG 7.10 on it and it ran very well. I installed 8.04 mostly just to try it out.

4. Schroeder
    Linux

@power

Sorry, but you MO fits the trolls earlier in this thread and most of the others on linux, apple and sony, both here and on other sites. The straw that broke the camels back?

Anyway apologies, I have a KUBUNTU install, that was 7.10 until the weekend just passed. I upgraded it to 8.04 via the adept updater tool, and I still have the options I mentioned under the System Settings option in Kubuntu. Perhaps a chance to step away from Gnome, and try KDE desktop out? voodoo is still listed as one of the supported driver options - I had a brief look - and its a trip down memory lane to see all the still supported manufacturers and cards. Sad to think they've all been squeezed out by the big two ( or three? )

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

youtube?

They've hijacked this "community" malarkey just so they can get a bunch of teenagers, cat lovers and wannabe hackers issuing OS tweaks for free. Then, boom, a handful of people get rich off this memepile. "Ubuntu was very clearly a businesses from the beginning. There were investors. They were providing a service. I don't think the folks who worked on the OS have a moral claim against the guys who built that business."

6. Power Pentode
    Linux

@Schroeder

No worries; apology happily accepted. I run KDE on my Mepis partition, though with Synaptic, not Adept.

Cheers!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like