back to article Mr. and Mrs. Boring sue Google over Street View pics

A Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania couple has sued Google for invasion of privacy, accusing the world's largest search engine of photographing their swimming pool and posting it to the web. Aaron and Christine Boring claim that in offering 360-degree panoramic pics of their private residence via Google Street View, the web giant has " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

April fool?

$25K damages? Must be an April fool, no american would sue Google for less than $1m

2. Les Matthew
    Boffin

@Roger Stenning

"So, I again ask: If they didn't want folks driving around their estate or road, where the heck were the gates?"

Maybe they thought people would understand the meaning of the word "private"?

3. Steven Raith
    Paris Hilton

Surely a simpler solution would be...

..to have contacted Google, expressed concern about it the pictures, and suggested that if they pull the pictures for the short term, stump up half the material costs for a four foot fence [I'm of the opinion that any pool should be fenced off, full stop - child/animal safety, and your own privacy when in it] and that they could come back and take more pictures once that was up.

As opposed to just attempting to sue the bollocks off of them, which just looks petty, childish and infantile.

Whatever happened to meeting people half-way?

Steven R

Paris, because she's quite used to having her privacy invaded.

4. Marco Alfarrobinha
    Stop

@ Sean Charles

Sorry to be out of topic, but you are an idiot.

UK politicians corrupt?

Any African, Latin-American, Asian country will beat UK politicians hands down in the corruption stakes. UK politicians are quite good, even compared with the rest of Europe.

Here, got it out of my chest.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Are they related?

Perhaps they are related to the Boring-Old-Git's from Slough?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

@zxcvbnm ("£80,000 for a house")

True but that's probably what it's worth. Over here the same house would be worth £80,000 too but greedy people / estate agents / lenders have all lost the plot.

I looked through our local property pages last night (just for a laugh of course!) and there was a one bed flat in [a reasonably nice semi-rural location in] Derbyshire for £130,000. There's also a 2 bed bunaglow (small bungalow on small plot - built in someone's back garden in fact) on for over 300k. Again this is in Derbyshire - a nice county to live in but not the most prosperous part of the UK by a long stretch.

On the subject of the google pics if they were taken from a public road at a normal eye-level and with a wide-angle that doesn't zoom on an individual or particular subject within the property then I can't see how the Borings' legal argument will stand up. They're like the people who dislike passers-by looking into their living room from the street, but refuse to fit net-curtains.

7. Joe K
    Unhappy

What really sickens me....

....is that 80 grand wouldn't buy you a garden shed (+land) over here in the UK, yet they get a house with swimming pool.

This country is going to hell.

8. Neil Jones
    Alien

Like the rest of us...

Everyone can see my back garden on Google Earth, despite the fact it's got a 6' fence surrounding it - can I sue?

9. Richard Williams
    Paris Hilton

Spy Satellites

So are they going to start suing the US Government next for having 'homeland security' satellites buzzing over their house, the recruited teen geek ex-hackers who operate the systems getting their rocks off watching their daughters frolic in the lovely swimming pool?!

Paris, cos I think she'd gladly get all the coverage (with lack of coverings!!) that she could get!

10. Robert Grant

Wake up

Exchange rates, people. It looks cheap because the pound is strong against the dollar. And you can get plenty of decent houses in the East Midlands for not too much - I'm looking in Wollaton (fairly nice part of Nottingham) at 3-bed semis/detacheds for about £160-180k.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Joe K

Don't worry Joe, they're sending a property crash over for us.

12. Spleen

@Sean and Charles

You're both wrong. All politicians are equally corrupt. A politician in the UK, however, has less opportunity to indulge his kleptomania than one in Nigeria. That does not change his essential nature. Put a tiger in a cage and he will act differently from a tiger in the jungle, but he remains a panthera tigris. He does not suddenly change into a different species which looks and acts like a tiger but eats what handlers give him rather than what he can tear apart with his claws.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Mucking fuppets!

"It appears that Google has now removed the offending pics from Street View. But that doesn't mean the Borings have recovered their privacy. Their lawsuit has also ensured that their house and swimming pool are pictured on all sorts of other sites across the web."

Inevitable.

14. glenn
    Happy

what a crap hole, i've seen nicer caravans.....

If i'd payed a considerable sum of money for a property that looked little more than a converted set of prefab concrete garages and a paddling pool then i'd want it keeping private too!!!! Me thinks that they want the cash compensation to go towards buying somewhere that justifies having a private road.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: the Streisand Effect

The Streisand Effect will probably be the justification for the sheer size of the claim.

If Google was in the wrong, it's a wrong that can't be undone. In seeking reparations, the situation becomes worse; this is not the couple's fault. They must then either settle for:

a) no reparations, meaning continued invasion of privacy;

b) reasonable reparations for small invasion of privacy, but with large invasion of privacy;

or

c) reasonable reparations for having their names and faces plastered all over the internet and laughed at.

No win situation, so why not nail 'em. It's the only way they'll learn.

16. Dan Maudsley

Re: Snapped from above

>The strength of their case seems to hinge on whether signs for private road should have been ignored. But what if the photos had been taken from a low flying plane? The road being private does not necessarily preserve the privacy of property on that road as they could hardly claim the sign covered airspace!

Actually, that's how the press in the UK get around the problem of taking photos of houses, etc, that can't be seen from public land. They regularlty hire helicopters and planes to get the overhead shots of stars' homes and so on. A no-fly zone is the only way around it.

17. andy gibson

house

It's a crap looking house anyway, I wouldn't have wasted my time looking at it if they hadn't brought up the case in the first place.

18. Pat Dougan
    Unhappy

I can't believe...

...so many here think it's unreasonable for the Borings to have some expectation of privacy. Complain about phorm, but when real life (tm) issues occur, how dare we complain!!

Should phorm be an opt out only? DNA entries for all?

These people should have a perfectly reasonable expectation of privacy. Just because Google has decided it wants to photograph the world doesn't mean that it is right. And just because the couples house falls below some of you aesthete's high standards, doesn't make it any more right that Google, or anyone can drive up to their door and invade their privacy.

The Borings didn't cause this. Google did. Google decided to take pictures and splash them across the web for anyone to see. Nice house or horrible house, freedom and privacy shouldn't be an opt in deal. It should be an expectation.

I hope the couple are successful. A take down order will make no difference to the company. A $25000 dollar take down for each infringement might.

19. Tim

Wrong way to deal with it.

Google remove any pictures people complain about, so if they'd just asked nicely the pictures would have been removed and nobody would have cared about their house.

It's not like google scaled their fence or anything....these pictures are of whats clearly visable to their neighbours when they drive up the road, or anyone taking a wrong turn.

$25,000 looks like it would be alot to these people (enough to paint the house and water the lawn atleast) google won't have to pay it, but if all the people that think google should have to pay each dontated $1 they might be able to put those $4-5 to some antidepresants so they can stop being so miserable.

20. ImaGnuber
    Black Helicopters

Gamed?

Anybody else suspect that many of those who are saying that the Borings shouldn't expect/don't deserve privacy are actually government/police employees trying to weaken expectations/demands for privacy from the general public?

Hmmm?

Oh god I can't hear any helicopters must run... no no! Not the tas... aaargh!

21. Michael Bonneau

Angry

I'm more angry about the fact that Google Street View shows nothing in my city, and Google Maps is so out-of-date the subdivision I've been living in for the past 6 months is still a farmers field.

22. foof
    Boffin

Serious toe

That guy in the orange jumpsuit in the video on the Street View page seems to be rather proud of his package.

23. Daniel B.

@Michael Bonneau

"Google Maps is so out-of-date the subdivision I've been living in for the past 6 months is still a farmers field."

My current apartment complex shows as halfway done. Thats the current pics, but about 6 months ago, there was *nothing* showing in the area where my apt stands.

The other city I lived in has a pretty nice BRT system, but if you check the city (Leon, Gto, Mexico) on Google Earth you'll suddenly see the BRT stations "disappear" when going south-east. Notice that this system's been working since 2003, and I noted this during late 2006.

While Google Earth seems as a nice idea, I really don't see the "advantage" over Street View other than a voyeuristic's fantasy come true.

24. tim

@ Robert Grant

Yeah if you make the exchange rate $=£ you can get an OK house in the UK for the price they paid. But I hardly think a three bed semi in a suburb of Nottingham qualifies you as 'rich'

25. insane analyst
    Pirate

Prepare to be boreded ?

I think I'll sue google for injury to my aestetic sensibilities. What a dump, more garage space than living space, do these people sleep in their cars?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like