back to article Al Gore's green job bonanza - can we afford it?

Al Gore is unleashing the climate campaign you can't ignore, in the shape of www.wecansolveit.org, which will spend $300 million to sign up some millions of people who will march, write letters and like, agitate. In the face of this government and business will be forced - the plan goes - to take climate change seriously. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Marco

Re: Creation of Wealth vs Creation of Jobs

>>> The only way to "create" wealth is through the exploitation of natural resources (oil, gold, grains, etc...) any other scenario means that existing money has just been juggled around or tons of extra cash is being printed (leading to a doomed inflation scenario - i.e. Germany post WWI). This is also why countries with no natural resources stay poor and generally uncivilized forever.

Germany, that you mentioned it, has little natural resources and is the third largest economy of the world.

>>> In sticking with the Burger King example: if Tim goes from flipping burgers at $10hr to building cars at $20hr that $10hr difference must be made up for somewhere else in the economy - something must be made more cheaply or someone must be fired, otherwise the system is running a negative balance, which probably won't work for long (see inflation statement above). No amount of new jobs or increased wages will fix a negatively balanced economy - the only solution is to invoke "something-for-nothing" and use naturally occurring resources to create value - more, more, more.

No. Tim now has $20 to spend instead of ten, while his work creates a higher value per hour than what is paid to him and what the raw material cost. Tim will now consume more and keep people who produce the consumed goods in their jobs or even help create more of them, while his original job at Burger King is vacant and must be filled. Tim and the others will keep their (new) jobs as long as there is a high enough demand for the goods they produce.

This is Economy 101. I encourage you to look up "demand", "supply" and "recession".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Solomon Grundy

<bollocks>The only way to "create" wealth is through the exploitation of natural resources (oil, gold, grains, etc...) any other scenario means that existing money has just been juggled around or tons of extra cash is being printed (leading to a doomed inflation scenario - i.e. Germany post WWI). This is also why countries with no natural resources stay poor and generally uncivilized forever.</bollocks>

You mean rich in natural resources like Africa and poor in natural resources like Japan?

Wealth creation relies mainly on the ability to add value in a process; people pay a lot more for refined petrol than for crude oil, which is why oil companies like Exxon and Shell make a lot of money, even though they have to buy the raw materials from other countries. Similarly Intel makes more money selling silicon (as CPUs) than B&Q does selling sand. Having natural resources can get you out of poverty, but it doesn't get you full employment and civilisation (especially if the "civilised" countries "help" you exploit the natural resources).

3. Vendicar Decarian
    Boffin

The Failure of the NeoCon American state

Sorry. The more these NeoCon Conners froth at the mouth about their failed economic theories, the more and more it becomes obvious that they don't know what they are talking about.

The NeoCon revolution has certainly been good for America, now with it's 9.5 trillion dollar debt, failing economy - Now working on Bush Recession 2 - a collapsing dollar - down almost 50% over the last 7 years, and a it's now largely exported manufactuing sector.

So bad are things in NeoCon America, that Bushie has had to redefine flipping burgers at McDonalds as part of the manufacturing sector.

--

Can government policies "make" jobs? Yup. Just as Corporate planned obselesence in products "make jobs."

With a minimum of 80% of all labour in the current economic system being worthless waste, one should ask themselves if they wish to live life according to the NeoCon failure that is unfolding in the U.S. or weather they wish to improve their quality of life by taking back some of the time stolen by Industry to produce goods that are only needed because they are designed to fail. (Breaking windows).

NeoCon economic theory is based on stupidity, greed and outright lies.

Only a fool follows that kind of example.

4. Vendicar Decarian
    Boffin

Can the apes be trusted?

"I think that global warming is a real problem, and so we should create highly paid jobs building shiny new nuclear power plants."

Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Syria, Egypt, Thialand all agree with you.

5. Vendicar Decarian
    Boffin

I have never met a Conservative who wasn't a perpetual liar.

"As for global warming, it's an inconvenient truth that the globe stopped warming in 1998..."

View with mono-spaced font...

Here are the figures for the last decade.

1998 14.57 *********************o*****

1999 14.33 *****************>>>>o

2000 14.33 *****************>>>>>o

2001 14.48 ************************o

2002 14.56 *************************o**

2003 14.55 **************************o*

2004 14.49 *************************>>o

2005 14.63 *****************************o**

2006 14.54 ***************************>>>o

2007 14,57 *****************************

Look at all those "o"'s lined up there. The trend is up, Up, UP.

So Fool, who is paying you to post lies to this forum?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@martin

Martin,

Don't be a tool. Think about it for a sec... Where do most scientific communities get their funding? One of three major places: 1) Government departments that have a motive for getting their agendas passed, for even more funding; 2) Corporate interests who seek to have their "visions" validated, in order to capitalize; 3) private individuals with really deep pockets.

Well, since Mr. Gore actually falls into all three categories, or at least has really strong links to them, he's going to have paths to what ever kind of result he wants.

Furthermore, without funding, how do you expect scientists to produce results? Through their own charity? I don't think so. Finally, with the shoddy analysis of the whole "climate change" being turned political, most people are looking for ways to either make a name for themselves or stay in the money. So they're going to produce what ever results their benefactors demand.

Heck, look at statistics and economics. You can bend the "facts" to show/produce what ever results you want.

Sorry to burst your bubble. As for the rest of your insinuations, sarcasm noted and duly ignored.

I chose Paris because even she can spot a snake oil salesman... I think

7. Peter W

fellow from the adam smith institute

in shock "jobs are bad, money matters more" article.

What a surprise. He obviously hasn't heard about the way unemployment is not equally distributed and new jobs can indeed be created that ends up employing some of that unemployed, directly or indirectly. Reference for instance the unemployed in Ohio.

Why, every time I read a science piece in the register that touches on the environment, do I get the impression the elreg is now a very right wing news site?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Climate change deniers

Are like racists and BNP supporters: they don't half love a comments page. Happily unrepresentative of the population, for all their persecution complex.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ Andrew Mill

By far and away, the most logical argument here. Kudos.

The rest of you are just floundering at the edges with your feeble arguments, and immature school-yard name calling (yes, especially you eco-emu's).

If this was the Titantic, you lot would be the guys standing at the stern, an hour after the captain told everyone they're f**d - smoking your pipes, worrying about whether putting women and children in the life boats first is "adding value". And the eco-emu's would be worse; they'd be the ones returning to dinner because "it's unsinkable; the lights are still on, the band is still playing, so there's nothing to worry about".

It's a no-win debate; there's too many people for the life boats (finite resources?) regardless of how much "value" you "add" to them. Have a nice swim.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course...

We are all still paying off the "Red Menace" jobs bonanza, and the "Homeland Security" jobs bonanza is still keeping the credit card warm. Either the money moves around, or it doesnt. Its better if it moves around and the world has had good evidence of what happen when "prudent" investors become cautious and sit on their funds.

Governments are universally imprudent investors, but what they leave behind can be a legacy for the future. Whether it be highways or dams or irrigation systems. The Governments of the day never saw ROI, but the hit to the hip pocket largely trickled into the hip pockets of citizens encouraging business activity, employment, and private investment. The legacies left behind arent all bad either and, to be honest, if a government spending spree leaves in its wake a few renewable energy generators and some solid R&D, I would be much happier than if it left a half-built railgun or the waning memory of the spending spree a "give the cash back to the people" policy would presage.

11. Glen Turner

Productivity of labour is the key point

Tim: "For, as I say, all those jobs, all those revenues, are properly counted as a cost of such schemes, not a benefit."

You are making the same error as the pollies by looking at the wrong statistic. The key classical economic concept at work here is the productivity of labour.

Via international treaty the cost of the carbon pollution externality is going to be added into the cost of production. That will cause the productivity of carbon-emitting industries to fall. In turn the wages they offer will fall relative to the remainder of the economy.

Or, taking the positive spin that pollies like, non-carbon-emitting industries will have increased productivity, causing he wages that offer to labour to increase.

Anyway, the result is an incentive for labour to move from one industry to another. Labeling these as "new" jobs is a tad rich, almost as rich as infrastructure developments claiming "new" job creation for the builders of those projects.

Note that this isn't zero-sum basket-weaving: the increased productivity in the new sector increases the national wealth (as long as you're comfortable with the idea that atmospheric carbon decreases the national wealth).

The problem with this classical economics approach is two-fold.

Firstly, the time lag between price signal and action are long in capital-intensive industries, usually around a decade but that may be much longer at this moment (approach a bank and want to borrow $2B, you've no hope at all during the current banking sector crisis). The cost of that lagged signal is large, as the externality is increasingly increasing in cost. This market failure obviously requires some government intervention for the solution with least cost to the nation to be found -- government doesn't require a functioning capital market to make an investment.

The second problem is that the cost of the externality is artificial. No one knows what the proper cost is until the effects of the cost can be measured. That is, until it is to late for any reasonable market-based corrective action. This leads to a lot more problems than usual with pollution pricing schemes: carbon pricing is very vulnerable to a simple denial that a problem exists (no effected people can yet be shown). Then there are all the usual problems with pollution pricing: such as how to distribute the pollution price (using it as government revenue isn't wise) and the incentive for avoidance of this artificial cost -- either by moving operations to another regulatory place or by extra-legal avoidance.

Getting back to Tim's quote. What the pollies should be touting is the increased wealth of the nation from the transfer of jobs from the less productive to the more productive industries. You could even state that number in job-equivalent units. The problem with economics is that we can't tell them what this number will be -- the situation is too complex to do anything other than give numbers at the boundaries (and they are frighteningly enough, to be honest).

12. Hud Dunlap
    Flame

Re: only global warming is Gores hot air

For the reality of Gore's position on energy usage see http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp. His house uses 12 time the national average. Compare that to Dubya's

13. Jerry
    Boffin

Rusty Labour Market Economics

Once a long while ago I worked as a Labour Market Economy computer modeler. The pay was good and so were the free lunches. While I disdained actually learning economics I did pick up on some of the basics. First: There are three classes of employment - Employed, Unemployed, and Not in Workforce. People move between each possible state with relative ease.

Governments boost employment by moving people out of unemployment into employment, or shifting them out of Not In Workforce to one of the other two. Overall it doesn't cost Governments much as they already either pay unemployment benefit or numerous subsidies to Not In Workforce people ( pensioners, Mums etc). In fact boosting employment is a net benefit to Governments due to new tax income and less outgoings.

So first point is that there is a resilience in the Labour pool that can start working as required. This happened quite visibly in WWI and WWII when lots of women moved from Not In Workforce to employed at the local munitions factory or in land work.

The second effect in WWII was increase in productivity. People worked harder and longer for the same money. The was de-facto an increase in workforce. This latter effect goes some way to negating the broken window theories.

Now Al "Weatherman" Gore is saying that by going to alternative energy we boost employment. He also seems to be creating the atmosphere (no pun intended) of a war against climate change. It may well be he is right about the jobs. They will appear and the people to fill them will sprout like dragons teeth.

How to pay for these jobs? Obviously taxes like you would never believe on all 'traditional' energy sources (borrowing from overseas appears unlikely)

What is the likely effect of this? Simply look at any recent major wars. Governments will break-even or make a profit. Employment will be boosted (at the expense of unemployment and NIW). We personally will have less disposable income as we are paying for new jobs. After a while other jobs will cease to exist because we aren't buying the goods any more, prices will fall, recession will start and at the end of 5 years we will throw out the existing Government, stop the war and try and resume as normal.

-OR-

Someone could invent cheap ways to make energy so that it makes sense to buy cheap energy rather than expensive energy. Not by up-pricing existing energy but by make new cheap energy. Almost a win-win situation except for the inflationary effect of lots of spare cash not being spent on energy (you win some you lose some).

What Gore should really be doing is following my mantra

"I'm not Green I'm Cheap"

And making abundant low cost energy for the masses.

14. Anne van der Bom

Doomsday thinking

I simply don't buy into this modern doomsday type of thinking: renewable energy will wreck our economies and kill millions op people. Make that millions of innocent people.

From the American perspective, the Second World war was an enormous waste of money, never seen before and since. The proposed investments in green technology are nowhere near that. Did the Second World war wreck the US economy?

How much money was wasted on Ronald Reagan's 'Star Wars' pet project? Did it wreck the economy? Landing a man on the Moon?

I sick of all these pessimist fear mongers proclaiming green technology will mean the end of civilization.

15. Solomon Grundy

@Marco

Yes, those things you mentioned are economy 101. The things I am talking about aren't taught at that level, stick with your studies a bit longer and you'll learn that terms like recession and such are relatively new terms that have little to do with underlying economic theory, that word in particular is a scare word that helps certain sectors of the financial/government power structure maintain control over the peasants.

Someday you will learn about how recession in a capitalist society is built to the system, and is a required component of a well balanced economy. Recession is one of the primary sources of the redistribution of wealth. Other than war it's probably the best way to correct system errors.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But I digress...

While I am most definitely ant-Al Gore, I am a firm believe in the overall goals of green living, if not for the environment, then for the sake of my wallet. Once we get over the initial hump of R&D and get into mass production, I believe the costs of perpetuating "green friendly fuels" will fall to a more practical amount.

However, one particular item that I strongly discourage and disagree with damn near everybody on are those stupid florescent light bulbs, that are designed to replace regular incandescent light bulbs.

They're junk. They don't last and it takes at least 5 to produce the same amount of light as one 100 watt bulb. Also, they contain mercury... Substituting something relatively useless and full of poison for something that drains off a little more energy?

Sorry folks, this is one area I refuse to compromise in. I will happily recycle, turn the thermostat down in the winter, and up in the summer... Heck, I'm even looking for vehicles that are much more fuel efficient. But I will NEVER have another one of those turd light bulbs in my house ever again.

17. Shakje

Seriously

do you have to write notes to yourself reminding you how to get out of bed in the morning bws? You clearly know nothing about academia or about project funding.

18. Anne van der Bom

@bws

You probably are quite happy with your half truth, but others are perhaps interested to know the other half of the truth. Which is: coal contains mercury. Using a conventional light bulbs releases around 5 times as much mercury into the envrionment because you use more energy. Myth busted.

My experience with the lifetime of bulbs is very good. They last forever. I bought a small 3 w bulb to serve as a night light for my son when he was a toddler. He's now 10 and since then the damn thing burnt all night every night. That's 7 * 365 * 10 hrs = 25.000+ hrs. My experience with the other bulbs is about the same, but not as impressive. Of course if you're a cheapskate (as you quite happily admit yourself) you're probably buying low quality crap.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last time I checked...

There was a continent of unemployed Africans that would love to take on the jobs of our lowest paid workers.

The authors problem is he clearly doesn't understand the global economy and is suggesting that each nation is a closed system.

We've already moved our less interesting jobs off to China and India so that back here at home we can do more fun, interesting and better paid jobs. As China and India's economies improve they'll move the jobs down the chain to Africa whilst our old jobs continue over to China/India as we get the new latest and greatest jobs. Eventually machines just take over the roles when there's no need for human involvement anymore.

The key in creating "green jobs" is to ensure they really are green however, there's no point making new solar panels in Africa if it costs more in fossil fuels than you'll ever save by shipping them here, but this is why we also need infrastructure, if we can produce green transport such as maglev trains powered by nuclear power plants which despite the idiot force who don't understand the technology believing otherwise are actually extremely clean and providing they're purely civilian reactors using modern technology produce an entirely un-problematic amount of waste for disposable.

The green crusade is a good thing for everyone and Al Gore is a very bright person doing good work, it's just a shame the majority of the planet are actually stupid, the very first comment to this article demonstrates how scarily dumb some people on this planet actually are.

It's sad that now that Science has produced all the evidence and consensus anyone would ever need to prove global warming is happening, is a problem and is caused primarily by CO2 there are still some people refusing to believe it. It also comes as no surprise however seeing as billions of people also still believe the universe was made by a little magic man somewhere up the sky who controls everything ever.

20. Nick Collingridge

Do you care more about yourself or other people?

Let's face it - most of the AGW denialists have basically never grown beyond the point at which they are so self-centered that they just want to be able to do whatever they want to do - irrespective of its impact on anyone else (most people grow beyond this stage when they leave their teens). As a result they just don't want to believe in AGW because it might mean they will have to modify their behaviour.

Essentially this is the Jeremy Clarkson syndrome, and there's no one more developmentally retarded than he is! If it were to come to a choice between Al Gore and Jeremy Clarkson, I know which one I'd trust my future to...

So what about this whole big thing of "the scientists are all in it together and they just want to perpetuate the AGW thing because they get their funding from it". Well so far I have seen lots of people make this tenuous claim as a potential motive, but that's all it is - a potential motive. That in itself doesn't even begin to make it true.

It MIGHT be true of some scientists, but no-one knows how many. I would hazard a guess that it's at best a pretty small percentage of them - having met some of them I know how genuine their view and concern is. It certainly can't be described as being ALL of them - that would be an unimaginably vast conspiracy and is just not credible, unless you really are a crazed conspiracist.

Come on now, let's just drop this one, shall we?

21. Bob Bobson

Global Warming isn't real

Of course it isn't - I'd have to make some minor changes to my lifestyle if it were so I'm going to say that all the scientists are liars and poopoo heads so I don't have to deal with it. Just like when they told me the earth was round.

Seriously, get a brain. GW happens. Climate change is here - ask any half decent scientist. Who has an axe to grind? The scientist who's looking at data or the big companies that make profit from causing the problem?

22. Rab S

climate models

I will belive the current doomsday predictions when their computer models can actually model the past...once thats done then they can move on to the future, lets face it they have been wrong in the past (cough global cooling)...

23. Mark

Re: climate models

Well rejoice! because they do and have for years. That's what must be done for the model to be used to predict the likely future.

24. David Robinson

Al Gore

Some ten years ago Al Gore gave a speech. After the speech, when he thought (wrongly) that the microphones were switched off he remarked to a friend onstage " Well, if we did'nt have global warming we would have to think of something else."

This and his lifestyle certainly indicates a true believer! The problem is what it is that he is hiding behind the AGW front?

Dave.

25. David Robinson

Re Climate models

Yes, they have...and the best have been between 35-40% out.

Give you confidence???

Dave.

26. Matt Crerar
    Thumb Down

mass unemployment?

Your premise of who is going to fill all these 'millions' of jobs as we have no mass unemployment in the US and UK is absolute nonsense. UK unemployment alone is 1.6 million, not including the 2.7 million on incapacity benefit of which a large proportion are claiming instead of jobseeker's much to the delight of the government to reduce their unemployment figures.

I don't see how even an extra million people being productive for society and not living off state subsidies is a 'cost' and not a benefit.

Though it's sounds like you'd be much happier with a reserve army of unemployed to keep your starbuck's coffee cheaper and economy based on 'finance capital' as that seems to be working so well at the moment...

27. Mark
    Paris Hilton

Re: Re climate models

30-40% OF WHAT?

Please show me where I can find this discrepancy.

Or is it all mouth no trousers?

28. David Pollard
    Flame

@ Anne van der Bom - CFLs

It's bad logic to argue in favour of CFLs that they reduce the spread of mercury into the environment from coal-fired power stations. Both sources of pollution are undesirable. Mercury emissions from coal burners can be contained relatively easily and inexpensively (see e.g. http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/news/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=512144&pp=12&n=1) while those from defunct CFLs are very difficult to capture.

But why are CFLs only easily available in that ghastly warm white, when it should be easy to make other colour temperatures? It's this that mostly puts me off them, as well as over-zealous claims about their efficiency and cost saving.

29. ratfox

Creating jobs

The trick in creating jobs is to make people to pay for them. If you have no good incentive, people are going to keep their money. But if you say the world is gonna end otherwise, they'll shell out...

As it stands, I prefer it if we create jobs in a possibly unnecessary "green" industry than in fighting other countries...

30. Roger Weston
    Go

Money is not a scare resource

Ecconomics is all about make efficenty use of scare resources. The problem is we don't look t all the resources as scarce. In fact the only resource that by definition is not scare is money

The financial system is something humanity has created. The is no physical limit to the amount of money in the world. It is therefore noncense talking about cost on a global scale in financial money terms.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.