Feeds

back to article Blu-ray Xbox 360 to be sold at a loss?

Microsoft is on track to have sold 2m UK Xbox 360s by next week. But the company could be forced to sell Blu-ray models at a loss, if rumours about HD drive development are true. Figures from market watcher Chart Track have forecast that since the console’s December 2005 UK release, Microsoft will have shifted around 2m units by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alert

PS3 is still behind.

You talk about the PS3 came out later than the 360 and that its ONLY 5-6 million units behind.

The fact still is the PS3 is behind on this day and for many more days it will continue to be so. There's probably going to be people who would have bought PS3s but have got Xbox 360s as they came out earlier and cheaper and wont be looking to buy a PS3 now.

The Xbox 360 isn't reducing prices because it’s panicking it’s because the market is approaching saturation and it's now lowering its price to try and get more of the market.

I know 7 of my friends have Xbox 360s as do I. No one owns a PS3 except for me.

The PS3 is a nice Blu-ray player and is nice and quiet but it’s really buggy on playing media from my PC.

I reckon a lot of the people who bought one did so because it's a cheap Blu-ray player which you get to play games on.

You can see this reflected in game sales to console ratio. Last time I heard the Xbox 360 was on something to 11 to 1 console and the PS3 was 3-ish, (admittedly the games are terrible :P but there's two I’m interested in the future). The Wii is as low a 0.5 games per console which really is terrible. They'd be in trouble if they hadn't sold at a profit on the systems.

It's really down to the PS3 not REALLY being a proper games system. It has that Cell chip processor which has caused the common thing you hear PS3 fans saying "Just wait till next year when (insert game here) comes out" the things so hard to work with its games are constantly delayed.

If Microsoft wants to release another SKU I don't care about it being blu-ray or not just make it quiet, the thing is ridiculously noisy next to the PS3!

The PS3 feels better quality than the 360 but the PS3 6 axis controller and remote are rubbish i'd love to be able to use the 360 controller on the PS3

Alert

who cares ?

I'm loyal to neither company, between myself and 2 brothers we've owned a console from every company bar Sega since we were knee high to a grass hopper. Of the current generation we have 2 Wiis, a 360 and Playstation 3 between us. The Playstation 3 is used least, it has a lack of decent games and the online service is miles behind Xbox Live even if you do have to pay an annual fee, which is by no means extortionate has someone has claimed. The games that are out there are not up to the 360s standards, maybe that will change, who knows ? We don't care about HD DVD or Bluray as we use our consoles for gaming, we have dedicated systems for our home entertainment. Having said that, we don't own one HD DVD or Bluray film either so our decision on what to buy had nothing to do with the now ended format wars.

People, get real and just enjoy your console for jaysus sake.The Wii is the only one my wife will join in with and my 360 is for when she's away on business. But alas my brothers PS3 is a dust gather at the moment eeclipsed by his Wii too, and that's not fanboism. For whose drooling at the thoughts of the next GT game, demo is disappointing, try Froza and you probably won't be bothered with GT anymore ;-)

Go

PS3 for me

I'm a PC gamer - have been for years, but I'm just about to buy a PS3 over an Xbox360 for a number of reasons:

1) The PS3 is a bloody good BluRay player - comparable to £400 standalone players and has all the decoding licences on board all for the asking price. By contrast the PS2 was a pretty awful DVD player.

2) Online play is free - I don't play online much, but I like the occasional dabble - and I simply wouldn't make enough use of Xbox live to warrant the subscription fee (seriously I barely play online at all)

3) You can load and stream content around your network.

4) I'm not a fan of console games per se, but I am interested in GT and GTA IV (just as I was interested in Forza, Project Gotham and Burnout). Difference is that I couldn't justify the expenditure on JUST a games machine when I won't be using it every night of the week. However add in the other functions the PS3 offers out of the box and I feel it is worth the extra money.

5) Seems to be built better - we haven't had a PS3 fall over yet at work, but have said good bye to two xbox360s so far...

I also have a Wii and I know which machine will be played the most. SuperMario Galaxy is a work of art...

P.s. Star Wars not recorded in a High def compatible format??? It was recorded on FILM which is analogue and is the highest def format you can get (excluding comments about grain etc from the size of a 35mm negative). The special Editions were digitally remastered and regraded in order to clean up the image (New hope was especially bad) and to better integrate the new effects. No matter what format it was recorded in - even if it was shoved on a HD-D5 tape, they can still easily ingest it into the latest digital equipment and remastered. I'd expect a Star Wars BluRay when either there is enough demand for it (sales still small), Lucasfilm isn't in the middle of a massive production (Indy IV) and when they have created some new additional content in HiDef (which is more of an issue than the films themselves).

Gates Horns

@ AC

"Oh you mean that game that was touted as Sony's greatest game last year, an absolutel showcase of what the console is capable of?

... yet only sold 25% the units of even mediocre 360 games such as Kameo in the same amount of time and only sold 2% of the number of units the likes of Halo 3 sold?"

Since when has quality of game been linked to sales?

Halo3 sucked badly, the fact that multi-platform COD4 gets vastly more players is proof to that.

R&C is a mighty fine game, and does show what the PS3 is capable of (despite it barely scratching the surface of the PS3's capabilities), it's also sold well over a million copies, so by your calculations, Halo3 has sold well over 50million copies...

No wonder Xbox managed to sell consoles, with idiots like this AC around...

Stop

Missing the Point?

The fanbois comparing sales figures are missing a point here - the reason MS are incorporating a BR HD is because they realise that many PS3s are being bought as BR players, not games consoles. I (like many others) have both a 360 and a PS3 - the 360's for games; the PS3's for BR. If the Xbox had a built-in BR that was implemented as well as Sony's is in the PS3, then I wouldn't have bought the PS3. So to comment that "The 360 is dead" in response to a move by MS that is likely to bring about an sway in sales in the Xbox's favour by taking away an undisputed advantage that the PS3 currently has seems ill-considered.

If MS integrate a decent BR player, Sony lose a potential market of Xbox owners who want a BR player, as well as suddenly facing competition in the "next gen+BR drive" console market.

Real sales numbers

While the Xbox360 has 50% more units out than the PS3, how many of the Xbox360s are replacement units for the defective ones? I know people who have bought an extra 360 while their 360 was sent back to be repaired.

Unhappy

360 RRoD.

Someone claimed that the RRoD is a thing of the past? Not according the the official 360 forums it isn't - even the new Elites are RRoD'ing.

Mine has RRoD'd once already and is close to a second RRoD - it froze a couple of times playing RSV2 last night and refused to turn off as well. So it looks like it'll be off to Havant AGAIN sometime soon - I've had it back a grand total of 5 weeks since it's first repair.

Not good.

@fishman

How many PS3s sit in home theatre setups, never seeing a game disc, or are being used as Cell calculation units? How many of those second 360s are then passed on second-hand once they return from being mended and the impatient owner bought another?

We'll never know, so at best they're a rough guide. Go look at the software sales if you want to see what the development studios really care about - why do you think it's worth concentrating millions of pounds on 360 and PS3 game development when the hardware sales are so much better than Wii? Because Wii owners don't buy games as much, and they certainly don't buy 3rd-party ones.

Stop

@ Mad Hacker

"If the 360 (that my Harmony controls fine) becomes available with a BluRay drive, the one feature of accepting IR commands will make it a MUCH better BluRay player than the PS3."

Apart from the fact that the original 360 can't output 1080p, the native res. of Blu-Ray? Or that the noise it makes is like having a hydroelectric powerstation in your living room?

No, the really important stuff is being able to use an aftermarket remote control with it.

If MS want to position the 360 as a serious contender for a HD playback machine, they need to sort the noise out, as that's the killer for me. I also find the playback interface on the PS3 is much better. I have both machines - the PS3 is used mostly for movies and the 360 only for games, mainly because of XB Live and I prefer the controllers. However, I do get sick of the almost constant crashes during games, which I've not had happen on the PS3 yet. I'm on my second 360, and I fully expect this one to die too.

Jobs Horns

You're all foaming at the mouth!

I nearly bought a 360, but plumped for the PS3 instead and by and large I have been very happy with it. No there aren't as many games, but the ones that I do have are brilliant, and I am happy to wait for Resistance 2, LBP, Home , etc.

Am also using the PS3 to play music, as the core part of my home cinema setup, browse the web, but mainly yeah to play games.

I love that damn thing, and everyone should get one.

@ jai

Aye sir - I stand thankfully corrected. Thank you, Kind Sir.

Wii is still number 1, but seriously; it is NOT a next-gen console. Again, i own one, love one, and cherish it ;o)

Stop

'Next-gen' bollocks...

Alex: "Wii is still number 1, but seriously; it is NOT a next-gen console. Again, i own one, love one, and cherish it ;o)"

FFS. The Wii is not 'next-gen', it's CURRENT generation - just like the PS3 and Xbox 360. It's just NOT HD current-gen.

END OF DEBATE.

@AC

Maybe Mad Hacker has a recent enough 360 that he's got a HDMI connector. Or maybe he's using the 1920x1080p VGA output. Maybe he's only got a 720p screen anyway. Maybe he's already got the HD-DVD drive, and doesn't want a whole second console and a second video input to deal with.

Any of which would make a 360 Blu-ray drive useful.

Anonymous Coward

@Iain

"Any of which would make a 360 Blu-ray drive useful."

Except he wasn't saying that dear boy, he was saying, and I quote, "If the 360 (that my Harmony controls fine) becomes available with a BluRay drive, the one feature of accepting IR commands will make it a MUCH better BluRay player than the PS3."

Which is bovine poo I'm afraid. It wouldn't be better BR drive than the PS3, even with the criteria you mention.

External Bluray?

Bluray can't be external, as the maximum Bluray bitrate exceeds that of the connection.. and this isn't good.

So forget about quality external drives...

Flame

@ AC "'Next-gen' bollocks..."

Oh do shut up and get with the lingo!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.