Feeds

back to article British youths think Churchill went to moon

In yet another set of survey results that surely tells us all we need to know about the state of our great nation, British youngsters innocently state that Sir Winston Churchill was the first man to walk on the moon, the Telegraph smirks. Befuddled tykes, aged between four and ten, confused the iconic and eerily baby-faced WWII …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

My favourite Churchill quote

One night in the House of Commons, Churchill, after imbibing a few drinks, stumbled into Bessie Braddock, a corpulent Labour Member of the Commons from Liverpool. An angry Bessie straightened her clothes and addressed the British statesman.

"Winston," she roared. "You are drunk, and what’s more, you are disgustingly drunk."

Churchill, surveying Bessie, replied, "And might I say, Mrs. Braddock, you are ugly, and what’s more, disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow," Churchill added, "I shall be sober."

A cut and paste from another website, with a tad of embellishment.

I read this when I was at Primary school, well maybe not the exact syntax, Hey, I was under 10 but the semantics stuck. They taught Roman Latin and Ancient Greek then, too.

I remember it because it made me laugh. Still, I'm sure a lot of people on this board would object.

I still find it funny.

It's not Neil or Edwin/Buzz you should remember - it's Michael. He lamented that nobody would remember his name; so I made a point of remembering it. So have many others.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Happy

@AC

"i have yet to hear a convincing argument to-date to say the moon landings were faked... and none of thes nubile rantings about mulitiple light sources, no stars in the sky, perfectly framed pictures from chest mounted cameras with no viewfinder.... proper arguments....."

He he. I caught one.

@Salsero

"Well, the real Brits (I am just alien) may have other opinions, but to me, if I should choose the one and only representative Brit of XX century - it would undoubtedly be Sir Winston Churchill."

Strangely enough, when I read this, I asked myself which person I would choose as the representative Brit of the XXth century, and the first person to come to mind was Eddie the Eagle, god bless him... :-)

Those that can Do...

and sadly it's truer today than ever... "those that can't Teach"

Yesterday my 6-year-old son built an AM radio with his electronics set (poor kid - his Dad's a geek you know) and showed it to a visiting family friend "who is training to be a Design and Technology Teacher". Complete dis-interest: didn't understand how a radio works and Dad was left to find the wobbly connection.

Boffin

meh

Ask my kids and they will tell you that no one went to the moon!

Paris Hilton

What's a moon?

One of the greatest minds of the last Millenium; I suspect his foresight into what matters preserved more then a nation. If Walt Disney wasn't so busy spinning in his grave he'd grab more then a couple of throats...What were the other questions on this "test"?

Why can't I select more then one of these things?!?

Alien

To moon or not to moon?

Quote> i have yet to hear a convincing argument to-date to say the moon landings were faked... and none of thes nubile rantings about mulitiple light sources, no stars in the sky, perfectly framed pictures from chest mounted cameras with no viewfinder.... proper arguments..... <

Having the lens etchings pass BEHIND the subjects being filmed did it for me.

Flame

I'll bet there's 16 yo'lds that don't know either

I could excuse 4-10 yo kids from not knowing this, but the sad thing is that there's a significant number of teens (and adults) that I'm sure are equally ignorant.

Don't be so down on Wikipedia... it may be one of this generation's only teachers... and although I haven't searched it, I'm pretty sure it has the stories of Churchill's life and space exploration correct.

Happy

Kids just trying to please

As any parent, uncle or aunt will tell you, if a kid doesn't know the answer to something they don't say they don't know.

More often than not they will simply answer with the first thing that pops into their dear little heads.

I suspect it was a multiple choice questionnaire.

Unless the study outlines its methods the findings are worthless.

Anonymous Coward

@ Gwyn Kemp-Philp

"Having the lens etchings pass BEHIND the subjects being filmed did it for me."

And what is loss of fine detail due to high contrast evidence of exactly? It must be evidence of something substantive to "do it" for you.

One lucky yank

Or should I say scared. My mom was a history teacher at the college level. It mind boggling the lack of knowledge I see about history.

Stop

@Pheet, re;Tonypandy

Sent in the army to murder striking miners? Dear me, you have fallen victim to the same flawed history as many before.

Churchill did send troops, at the request of the area's chief constable, but chgose instead to deploy hundreds of metropolitan police against the pickets. Any references to soldiers shooting at any miners in the area is bunk.

All I want to know is...

If we successfully sent Winston Churchill to the Moon, why can't we send all the other politicians?

One-way, mind. Much cheaper.

Anonymous Coward

@30 decades

Sorry... I fat fingered and inadvertently nailed the zero after the 3 (damn those tricky numeric key pads)... For the record, that should have been three decades.

But for the record and as an American, I still believe Churchill to be one of the greatest leader in the world of the 20th century, and I think it's a damn shame that either the the youth of the UK are starting to catch the lack of attention span that's rampant over here or the education system over there is doing its best to lower itself to that of the US, in order to make sure no ones feelings are hurt for doing substandard work and everybody gets a passing mark for having a pulse.

Alert

Churchill..

..was an inbred doofus.

Churchill should be remembered for his disasterous Gallipoli campaign. He was a blunderer 1st class.

Churchill should be remembered for stubbing mid-course cigars out in mashed potatos

Foul Play !!! I cry, where is the IT angle, not even a wiff of Paris (mmmmmm).

So another useless uninformative waste of resources survey takes place culminating in the realisation that children do not, in fact, know it all. Whoop-de-f**king-doooo. Now can someone please explain to me how we correct these knowledge sponges with better working models of the world around them, now that it is illegal to fail them in exams or to tell them that they are wrong.

... and as for "grass growing in place of the pavements in Dundee", simply ain't gonna happen 'cause the student's smoke it all too quick.

Happy

Bit of perspective

When I was at school I doubt very much if I could name who was the prime minister during the boar war.

The time gap between the boar war and my school days 1960s-1900 is actually shorter than the gap form WWII to now 2008-1939.

Us wrinklys were brought up on a cultural diet of the Victor, Commando comics and black and white war films like the Dambusters, the great escape etc. ( and this was twenty years after the confict ended for gods sake). We are just going to have to accept that this really is history - none of the major figures are still living and a lot has happened since then.

Anonymous Coward

<no title>

I know it has been a while since I was at primary school, but IIRC we did no modern history at all (nor at secondary school for that matter). In the later primary school years we may have been told about ancient Romans, and may the English Civil War. About it really. Bit is a non-expose, this article then?

Gold badge
Coat

Easy mistake to make.

Churchill spent so much time latterly off in la-la land he was probably fairly convinced he'd been to the moon himself.

The imaginary spacesuit please. Yes, right next to the pink elephant in the tutu.......

Speaks more about the parents...

Sorry, but if these kids don't know that Winston Churchill never went to the moon you have to wonder if their parents actually communicate with them about anything or just sit them in front of an endless series of Disney DVDs...it's a wonder they even know that Churchill is someone's name!

And the faked moon-landing stuff? I cannot believe anyone stupid enough to believe that rubbish can even read this website much less post here.

Finally the greatest leader of the 20th Century was Mustafa Kemal Ataturk -- Churchill my arse!

(Written by Reg staff)

good morning spacemen

Man, by the looks of these I really need to work on my projection of ironic distance.

Anonymous Coward

Dat shud be "Yuf" surely

Dats right. OK?

Alien

Winston goes to the moon

With Disney involved, does this mean they're branching out from the "Ernest Goes To..." franchise?

Now they'll be sending a Fat Cigar-Smoking Politician/Insurance-Toting Nodding Dog* on a series of wacky escapades in various places on (and off) our beloved blue-green rock?

Makes me wonder who will be next... Caesar? Archimedes? Osama?

Alien icon as "Winnie" got lashed with the aliens while he was there

*delete as appropriate

Coat

@ Gwyn Kemp-Philp

[quote]Having the lens etchings pass BEHIND the subjects being filmed did it for me.[/quote]

a very common phenomonom in photography.... it is to do with the high contrast of the background, and the particle size of the photo sensitive silver on the film. i have the same effect on may of the pictures i have taken over the years..

this beeing one of the weakest arguments does not appear on a lot of the moon hoax websites, and have infact been removed from some.

maybe this article will help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoid_personality_disorder

mine is the white one, with the godfish bowl hat

Black Helicopters

Official Secrets Act

How in the hell did this get out? It seems to only be kids who found out about it, maybe SIS don't monitor kids-TV or something, a leak to Newsround perhap? Since it's four-ten years old who know about this, it's probably been doing the rounds in the playgrounds for some time, I'm guessing something slipped when the 2005 FoI act was brought in.

Either way, heads will roll for this one, MI6 won't take kindly to this being public.

me
Stop

It's only a problem....

...when Georgie and Tony also believe this. Oh wait! They do!!

4 years old and don't know History

I am truly amazed that some of your 4 year old pre-school kids lack this knowledge .

Previous generations knew kings and queens of England before that got off the titty.

@ Bruce Sinton

Looksury! When we were kids we 'ad to know the kings 'n' queens of England, the Presidents of the USA, all the astronauts 'oo landed ont' moon an' differential calculus before we were ALLOWED to 'ave any titty.

Alien

evidence ftw

http://www.csr.utexas.edu/mlrs/history.html

Now, can people please shut their traps with the conspiracy theories relating to the moon landings.

Funny that, in all the "documentaries" I've seen about the "faked" moon landings none have ever bothered to mention the fact that we left mirrors there which have been consistently observed ever since. I guess even the fruitcakes who go on and on about this aren't stupid enough to think we'll believe they were left there by aliens.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.