back to article Microsoft rolls out Vista SP1

Microsoft has released the long-awaited first Windows Vista Service Pack, a wrap-up of incremental updates that apparently cripples certain vendors' software. SP1 tackles reliability and performance, adds support for new hardware and wraps in earlier updates for compatibility with third party software. Microsoft claims more than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

What I want to know

Does it fix the speed issues, so that it handles the graphic acceleration API used by most real-world applications (in addition to DirectX, used mainly by games)?

Does it fix the other speed issues, so that files copy as fast as on Windows XP?

Of course, the fact that security is improved, so that you can no longer run third-party anti-virus software on Vista doesn't quite count as a plus... unless the anti-virus makers can offer patches, and this is a temporary side-effect of a real security upgrade.

Linux a heap of crap?

Oh the irony.

My Vista Home Premium installation ran SP1 update this evening. On rebooting it said "Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer."

With an error message like that I of course can pin point the problem and resolve. Brilliant.

On the other hand, three months ago I started my linux learning curve. Mandriva dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu on my second PC. I'm not a techie, it's been quite a pleasant experience so far and Microsofts days are numbered in this house.

Black Helicopters

"Clicking on them doesn't work to well if you're running Firefox with NoScript"

I generally find The Entire Interweb doesn't work too well if you're running Firefox with NoScript these days. Of course, I'm not a paranoid loser, so I don't.

It's alright

Installed SP1 yesterday. Right off the only real problem I've had with it was cured. I have to routinely move and copy thousands of image files and it was a jot to select a couple of hundred meg and not have Vista sit there for ten minutes before telling me it would take 3 days or so.

I'm on a HP HDX Dragon laptop so, thanks to them not having XP drivers for much of the hardware and a locked bios, am stuck with Vista. Thankfully it's a pretty pwerful piece of kit and runs Vista very smoothly, unlike older machines I tried it on. It's still anoying though when in XP if I copies files over older versions it would just asked replace all? one click, done. now it asks copy and replace? but with a tick box for apply to all items. So I have to make 2 mouseclick instead of one. Quelle improvment. Way to go Billy Boy.

Did the perfoemance test thing yesterday and got a lowest score of 4.7 which was for hard disk. Checked speeds when copying from master to slave and was getting around 1.4MB a sec. Is that good or bad? I supose at 4.7 it must be good but it doesn't seem fast to me.

Ah well, thank heavens for Virtualbox so I can still run a couple of legacy VPN applications in XP.

Whatever else is in SP1 God knows, I don't see any real difference other than the fiile copying starting the same hour as you ask it to.

Flame

@Craig

"Learn how to use services.msc and edit your start up?"

Yeah good plan, we'll ignore the fact that not everyone is as godlike as you in their gurudom and some people have a life and don't want to spend hours fiddling with their computer, they just want to use it :O

Taking automatic update's wuauclt.exe as an example, yep, you can stop the service that makes this run, but then if you want to do a manual update, you have to go and restart this service before the update, then once you're done, disable it again.

Multiply this out by the large number of such services/programs/etc.

This may be an acceptable waste of time for you with all the spare time you have but not for real people.

Stop

Windows Update/Manual Download

As far as I know, for some reason the version of Vista's SP1 you get via Windows Update is only 65MB, as opposed to that big 435MB version available for download. Also, the Windows Update version can sort of 'suss out' any driver problems and so on, so all in all I think it's best to wait for it to be pumped out to your machine automatically..

Don't know why I'm even bothered, I installed Vista on my main PC and was determined to give it a fair go, but by the end of the 30 days I was sleeping with and caressing my XP disc like a little puppy. For the forseeable future, Vista is going to be the Windows ME for me.. i.e. I completely skip it after a brief test of it.

Adam

Anonymous Coward

@Glyn

Linux definately is not for those people then. Ive been using Vista since last January (and beta releases before that). Currently, on SP1, I use 32 processes and around 580mb ram and thats with Aero. OPut of the box, yes its rather bloated and most of the running services the average user will never read. Its in their own interests to learn what each service does and really is doesnt take very long to scan through and get a rough idea of what each does. It doesnt require a 400 bage book and a degree in physics to figure out.

As for the windows update service. It can be disabled. You do not need to enable it each time you want to update, its only use is for automatic update search and notification. It does not stop you from performing a manual update search via the windows update control panel applet.

Anonymous Coward

Hooray

At least they've fixed the stoopidest thing ever - the way that the file transfer bar used to indicate completion by the NUMBER of files rather than WHOLE PERCENTAGE.

eg. if you moved 10 files, 9 being 1meg and 1 being 1gig, you'll zip along to 90% completed and wait until it finished the biggun.

I never did understand who designed that aspect of the interface, presumably some kid on work experience who had never seen a GUI before ever. At least a sixth former has now finished the job off properly.

Don't knock vista!

It's already made me a fortune in freelance tech support, and I have every belief it will continue with SP1! MORE CRAP FROM REDMOD PLZ :D

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums