Feeds

back to article Portsmouth student peeled in potato laptop scam

A student in Portsmouth has fallen victim to the classic potato PC scam, parting with £600 for nothing more than a bag full of spuds, the Portsmouth News reports. The unnamed 27-year-old was shown a bagged Sony laptop by a "man in the back of a car" parked at the rear of Debenhams in Slindon Street, Portsmouth, on 6 March. He …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Sam
Coat

He

Should have kept his Eyes about him.

People like that should be Fried.

Did he get depressed and go and get Mashed?

Did his friends Chip in to help him?

The Jacket.

Jacket potato.....OK, I'll fuck off.

Paris Hilton

Could end in a Darwin Award...

Due to being properly skint, he could try the old favourite of filling up the top drawer of the desk with oats, pour over a pint or two of milk, hey presto! flapjack diet FTW!

Darwin attempt, because the last guy to do this after blowing his grant (remember them) on a hi-fi, forgot the limes and nearly died of scurvy!!

[tale recounted from an old salt at Loughborough Uni]

Happy

@ Shamed To Admit / AC

" . . . when I got home there was an iPhone in the bag. I was gutted."

PMSL

C|N>K

excellent

Linux

Bloody git

Buying a Sony at any price, from any source, is a good way to get a rootkit virus.

"You can't con an honest man"

Yes you can!

It's just harder; both to con them, and to find one first. Hence no-one bothers

Silver badge

never heard of ebay?

Dell Latitude C640 from ebay: 72 quid. Another 1/2 Gb of Ram, 15, and a wifi card 10. Ubuntu. (although i actually got a windows xp pro licence with the laptop). So wtf?

Joke

@Markie Dussard

Actually you can con an honest man, quite easily usually.

The thing it its just not sporting - not to mention the severe difficulty in finding them!

Its so much easier conning dishonest people, besides they are so many more of them!

For those that want a crash course with a little entertainment on the side may I recommend a copy of Terry Pratchett's Going Postal - which if you have a couple of spare quid on you I can do you a sweet deal on an original signed hardback edition, if you'd just step towards the back of my car....

Thumb Up

When I rule the world......

Sounds like a good test case for my two suggestions for new laws. Intent to receive stolen goods, and not being in possession of a full deck. Case proved, ship the pillock off to Anthrax Island for 5 years or so.

As suggested elsewhere in this thread, I do feel the copper should have been a tad less sympathetic and more forthright.

Anonymous Coward

Twenty-seven

27 year old student? Maybe he had to repeat a few years at school.

That would make sense I suppose.

Joke

May his student friends should..

..chip in.

Scams target the dodgy people

The buyer knows the deal is a bit dodgy but greed carries it through. It's a sort of nudge nudge, wink wink between the buyer and seller. The seller does not have to come up with a convincing story and the buyer by the same agreement accepts the obviously fake reason for selling.

Serves him right. Very brave to admit it though. I feel sorry for the government employee who lost their laptop though, it could have my data on it.

Gates Halo

goose

spud head

Been there, seen that

When I was a student there ten years ago I was stopped not far from that spot, only this time for the speaker scam. Ironically I was actually on the lookout for some decent speakers at the time, but the ones on offer looked a bit crap frankly. And, well, I don't tend to buy from geezers out the back of vans, oddly enough.

Paris Hilton

IBM

Remember them? They had a big presence in Portsmouth at one time.

Except that in the case of Portsmouth it stood for In Bred Mutant.

Jeez, it's a dump. And the locals think it's so great. Usually because they've never been anywhere else.

Paris as even she's got more brain cells than some of the local beauties.

Paris Hilton

...going postal, making money...

...good books - VERY good books.

Now then, before the "urban myth" team get involved, there was a tale I heard in my distant youth, many many moons ago, of the mythical student who survived for a term on "Porrage Oats" after blowing his first grant in 2 weeks. The story I heard suggested that this student then elected to go on an oat-only diet for the following terms and thus to release the grant money for infinitely more important substances. Desk drawers were given over to the storage of prepared porrage which could then be portioned out as required. After a suitable length of time, the individual was apparantly diagnosed as the first "modern history" case of scurvy in the UK.

I had always assumed this to be a myth. I discovered over the recent festive visits that my aunt actually studied with that very real student. And if you're reading this, "nice one!!!"

Icon, because she keeps something nicer in her drawers.

Paris Hilton

And while you're at it...

I have some lovely italian leather jackets for sale... no, I am italian and have been over for a trade show but don't want to pay for these samples to go back on the plane so that's why I am selling them out of the back of a rental car in a motorway service station.

Paris Hilton because she's nearly as fake.

Jay
Coat

Wait a minute...

"The heist was perpetrated by two ne'er-do-wells: the salesman, described as white, British, between 40 and 50 years old and 5ft 6ins and 5ft 8ins in height, and with grey hair;"

The bastard operator hard at work? or merely an imposter? And who is this ARY? [Asian Raced Youth]

Alert

As the WPC in question....!

The quote from me is actually correct. The reason I put it in those words, is that there will always be some stupid person who will buy things like, irrespective of the advice they are given.

It is not up to me (or any other police officer) to tell everyone what to do, just to try to advise them how best to protect themselves - and you never know - they might just get the real laptop out of these guys one day!

Also, the victim of this scam is an East African bloke who is studying to be a plumber at the local college - nothing to do with university at all.

Thumb Up

Smile

When a would-be receiver of stolen property gets stung, it brings a smile to the face of honest people.

Happy

@Simon Day et alii

Yes, Terry Pratchett's latest books are good examples of the "humorous conman" trope. Another recommendation: older, but still good: is Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series. Stick to the earlier ones though; some of the later novels aren't quite as funny.

PS: what a twonk. Really.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.