back to article iPhone may sidestep rubbish caller ID suit

At least one Reg reader believes that Apple will dodge a recent lawsuit tossed at its caller ID function because the iPhone's caller ID function is a piece of trash. Last week, we dutifully reported that a man named Romek Figa has sued Apple for violating his patent on "an automatic incoming telephone call number display …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Das
    Stop

@Chris Gibson

No problems whatsoever with CID here either, and that includes international numbers as well. Sounds like an idiot who can't use their phone.

Funny thing is that with my old Nokia N80, it would regularly fail to match CID if I had more than one number for each contact. This resulted in having stupid entries like Fred Mobile, and Fred Home. The iPhone also displays who a number belongs to if you dial the number directly regardless of whether you dial the number as it is stored, or prefix it with 0044/+44 (in fact I just tried it with my home number and missed out the area code and it still found it), great for when you don't recognise a number on your bill. With the Nokia I had to actually call the number and hit end just before it connected before the phone would display the owner.

2. Rob

yep

ooh yes you're right, entering my number but with 44 correctly results in my phone identifying my number, yet it doesn't have 44 in my address book, looks like they did think of this after all - whoops!

3. Angus Wood
    Jobs Halo

1.1.3 and 1.1.4 firmware - no issues

I've a mix of +44 and 0[1-9] format in my iPhone - no issues at all. Incoming CLI works fine, including when roaming.

4. David Cornes
    Happy

Further to 555

In Coronation Street (decades-old British soap opera) the fictional Manchester suburb of Weatherfield has it's own area code of 0161 715.

5. Jared Earle
    Dead Vulture

Made up bollocks

Works fine with all my +44 numbers.

The friend that sent this one in was pulling your leg.

Dead vulture because ... well, it's hardly journalism, is it.

6. Steve
    Happy

Use of 555 codes and similar

Aren't there some 555 numbers which are 'real', directory enquiries or somesuch?

The UK equivalents can be found on the OfCom website at

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/num_drama "Telephone Numbers for drama purposes". Interesting list, looks like all dramatic phone calls in N. Ireland are made to Belfast :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like