back to article IE8 to follow web standards by default

Microsoft is to develop IE8 so that it follows web standards by default and will retain a controversial mode switching proposal. Internet Explorer general manager Dean Hachamovitch conceded that the move is a change from what Microsoft had previously said and prompted (at least in part) by a desire to avoid regulatory and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Carl Garner
    Linux

WTF?!

"Microsoft is to develop IE8 so that it follows web standards by default and will retain a controversial mode switching proposal."

How about they develop a piece of software that:

a) works

b) does what other variants do

c) doesn't remotely try to be better by "switching modes"

It's so annoying as a web systems developer to have to add in extra hacks to make things look the same in a MS browser as they do in REAL browsers!

Having said that, I think I may start adopting the attitude towards MS users that Geoff Mackenzie has

2. Patrick O'Reilly
    IT Angle

Acid3

I tried this Beta last night and it's the buggiest and most unstable piece of software I've ever used.

Not to mention the fact that it only passed 14 of the 100 ACID 3 tests.

I see long late nights ahead in Redmond.

3. Chika
    Paris Hilton

Sloppy amateur code?

@one of other of the Anonymous Cowards on this subject.

"Perhaps we should be focusing on the amateur web developers out there writing slop HTML and CSS"

Perhaps you should consider the number of pages written by supposedly professional web developers that have serious flaws in them that make so many amateur sites look wonderful. Actually, I find that corporate sites tend to be bigger offenders when it comes to interoperability than any amateur.

The Paris angle? Well, we *are* talking about Microsoft, aren't we?

4. Chris
    Stop

IE8 - Vista

I don't know why everyone thinks IE8 is Vista only. I'm running the Beta on XP Pro now.

And I don't know what Patrick O'Reilly has done either, but it works pretty well. Time for a virus scan eh? Obviously a few minor problems, (The Reg's very own CSS doesn't render quite right in it) but nothing of any major concern.

I have had it crash a couple of times when trying some complicated (badly made) sites, but unlinke all the others it can and does recover itself, including where you were in all your tabs.

The IE7 compatibility mode does also seem to run everything fine.

If you have coded your site sloppily, it works great. I've checked over my entire site and it renders it all perfectly well.

This seems like exactly what people have been whinging about wanting for years. I don't see the problem with it.

Can't please some people eh?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.