back to article Dungeons and Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax dies

Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax rolled a natural one on his fortitude save today, dying at level 69 at his home in Lake Geneva. Best known for developing D&D with Dave Arneson in 1974, Gygax helped formulate a pen-and-pencil role playing ruleset that would become a touchstone for modern gaming across its genres. As …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Rusty D

They are all leaving us ...

Robert Jordon last year, now Gary Gygax this year. I'm just hoping that Terry Pratchet can fight his illness for a good long time. I don't want to be left without any heroes at all :-(

2. Lol Whibley

rip Mr Gygax

i must second all the positive sentiment today. i've spent far too long away from the dice but it still makes me smile when i think back to the hours of dungeon crawling and creation i put in to the invisible-force-walled-maze (now with added random-teleport features!). and the other tricks and traps i had groups think their way through..

for myself, i'll dig up my old Half-elven bard and go kick a few trog's butts and down an ale or two..

RIP Mr Gygax, you'll be missed.

3. John O'Grady
    Unhappy

Condolences

I loved the game and got more back in return than I can ever repay.

Here's your weeping red dragon icon John Foo...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/03/04

4. alan
    Thumb Up

Go and sit in the other room...

What a great time I had in the mid 80's rolling those fantastic dice and sorting through the AD&D DM and Monsters guidebooks...

One time the thief decided very early on to split from the rest of the party to grab some treasure and got killed in the process.

Poor chap had to sit in the front room for about 3 hours solid until a wizard could be 'found' to bring him back from the dead. The party divvied up his newly-found treasure amongst themselves as payment. Lovely.

RIP Mr Gygax "...in the distance you see a tavern..."

5. Robbie

Rest in peace.

Thank you Gary.

Imagine beyond Infinity.

6. Michael Jolly

D&D my start

I played D&D with my cousin many years but it was not until 2001 when i met a few like minded work mates we played long in to the night every thursday solidly for several years, I have to thank Mr Gygax for his creation and my he rest in peace,

7. Craig Barrowman
    Thumb Up

@slaine

You stole my thoughts... I couldn't have said it better.

Rest in peace Gary. I hope the next level of life is exciting and fulfilling for you.

8. MARC FRANCIS
    Stop

We'll remember you

I'm still playing with the same fellowship after 10 years.

Almost all of us are married and some have children but once a month, we are playing our very long campaign. Still in ADD2. Yes. The DM is a conservative and after so long, we know the rules by heart. And who cares about rules version as long as we have fun.

Thanks a lot Mr Gygax.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

An idea...

All of you who have stopped Roleplaying, get some friends together and run a session, those of you who never have, get yourself a copy of the Open Game licence rules (Its avalable for free online). Have a go, etc... From what I know of Mr Gygax he would be happy to know his game is still bringing people together to have fun..

10. Ash

Appropriate

http://xkcd.com/391/

11. Craig Vaughton
    Thumb Up

Passwall to the other side

So many enjoyable hours spent, so many good friends made,

Bourbon the cleric (named after a biscuit, not the drink),

Mendip the Megalomaniac Monk, where are you now Mick?

Rudyard the Dwarf, she's still here, it's the wife!

Thanks Mr Gygax, for the imagination to fire our imaginations.

RIP

12. John Boyarsky
    Joke

He....he...hee..hee

He died at age 69...

Cue the requesite giggling from the immature nerdy-geekboys playing D&D right now.

(Yes I include myself in there somewhere)

13. Mike Crawshaw
    Unhappy

Never played D&D

But played a lot of RPGs inspired by it as a kid, everything from Dragon Warriors to Maelstrom to Paranoia. Still read the GW novels to this day, despite not having the time to play any more.

RIP Gary, and thanks for inspiring so many.

14. Danny

This affects the animal world too

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/03/04/dnd-kitteh-morns-loss-of-gary-gygax/

RIP GG

15. Simon Mills
    Pirate

Fare thee well

It's twenty years now since I rolled my first d20 and there's been nought but a few months break in my game playing since... RIP Mr Gygax and thanks for all the happy hours of gaming in far off lands where we can all be heroes.

His Holiness, Lord Kopic "Trollchopper" Bloodaxe, The Immortal Lord of The Sea, Vampire Slaying Bane of All Undead, Peer of Veluna, Wielder of The Flame, Destroyer of Chaos...awaits the day that he will meet Gary Gygax in The Demon Web Pits!

16. Kevikus Mordren D'lonzo III
    Pirate

Gary is not dead!

He's just play-testing the celestrial realms for 4th edition.

17. Donald Best
    Alert

Go in Peace and know you will live on in our campaigns

RIP from one weekender/week long gamer.. tis a sad day indeed...

My thoughts on free time and opportunities:

http://xkcd.com/244/

18. Andy Brown

Rest In Peace

I've been playing RPGs now for more than 25 years, starting with the 1st Edition of AD&D back in the early 80s and progressing through a host of other RPG systems.

Without that start, my life would have been very different. AD&D got me interested in computer games, and led ultimately to me getting a job in programming (yes - my first programs were stat generators for AD&D). I met my wife through people I played RPGs with (she's now also an avid gamer), and I still run a weekly campaign.

D&D spawned an entire industry. It gave us a simple set of rules that sparked our imaginations and let us go out and explore, taking us away from the humdrum everyday world and into the brighter places of our shared imagination. It taught us many things useful in real life - planning, teamwork, effective use of abilities, research skills - and that a 10-foot pole won't fit into a backpack (unless its a very special bag). It kept us off the streets and out of trouble and gave us geeks something we could truly excel in.

Without D&D, much of the modern RPG and MMORPG genre just wouldn't exist. That spark led to a whole range of other games covering the entire spectrum of genres. Many players went on to turn their adventures into books and computer games, without which a large part of the PC and console industries would never have taken off the way it has. He was a trailblazer for the many that have followed in his footsteps over the years.

RIP Mr Gygax, you will be missed.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I failed my disbelieve roll

RIP Great Gygaxian and I hope your initiative rolls are always great in the great beyond.

20. Ben Parkinson
    Happy

I've never played D&D

But i now feel i must try it... 28 going on 14!

:-)

R.I.P Mr Gygax

21. Harold D. Cowden II

Wow. This one hurts...

I am 42 years old, and began playing AD&D when I was about 14 or 15. Back then, all that was available was the Dungeon Masters guide. 15 bucks in the early 80's. I saved my butt off to buy that thing... still have it. Met Gary several times and got to know him a little at GenCon and I-Con... a great guy who will be sorely missed. Feels like a part of my childhood just died with him... RIP Gary, you will be missed, but never forgotten. You were a big part of a lot of lives.

22. Wil Risenhoover
    Unhappy

Thank you, Mr. Gygax

We will miss you.

RIP...until your next adventure.

23. Jsmoran
    Thumb Up

He has reached Epic Level

Or, better, he passed from 36th level into the Planes of the Immortal.

Our hats (and helmets) off to Sir Gygax.

- John Sebastian Moran, jr.

Earl of Corran Keep

Kingdom of Ierendi's National Hero

Captain of the Royal Guards of Ierendi

Member of DDC for Darokin Embassy in Ierendi

24. Echowitch

Thanks Gary

Gary Gygax and those who followed in his wake have brought pleasure to millions, and affected those same lives in unexpected ways.

As I see it, if I hadn't started playing D&D at School/College, then I'd never have progressed on to playing an online anime rpg and thus would not have met my wife and us currently have a beautiful little boy.

Thanks Gary =)

25. tommy enryd

Your voice will be heard tonight!

It's been a while since I played the Pen & paper version Dungeons & Dragons. Until I take it up again (which I'm sure I will) I will settle for the second best - Dungeons & Dragons Online. In this game there is a quest, Delera's Tomb, where the voice of the Dungeon Master belongs to Gary Gygax himself!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A little magic lasts forever.

One day after spending the day fighting at an SCA tournament, as I took off my armor, my little boy came running up to tell me about this really cool game one of the 12 year old big kids had taught him and his friends. It was called "D&D" and he jabbered on and on about it all evening and all the way home three hours in the van the next day. When we got in the house I went to my book shelf and took down three books. I handed him my copies of the dungeon masters guide, the players hand book, and my monster manual. I became the coolest dad in the world right at that moment. Someday I hope he hands those books to my grandson.

Thank you Mr. Gygax. You helped us all open the door and walk down those dark steps into that uncomfortable space known as a dungeon.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks and RIP

He spawned a genre, providing humour and entertainment to so many. With a huge grin, I still recall forcing ILREK the Glutunous Dwarf to consult the Potion Miscibility Table (you can look up for yourself in the DMG what the 00 did). ILREK, buy Gary a drink for me.

CAERBANNOG

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.