back to article Mobo maker builds 'powerless' processor cooling fan

Mobo maker MSI has come up with a novel way of keeping processors cool and conserving energy at the same time: the CPU to drive its own fan. It's actually a new implementation of an old discovery. MSI's Air Power Cooler uses the energy inherent in the expansion of air as it warms up to drive a fan. MSI's Stirling Engine cooler …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

@Steve Browne

We, the undersigned, am having serious objections to your most learned assertion that punkahs can be adding to Mobos. It is becoming bad enough for us to be working in very, very cramped conditions and, now, you be having us work inside a PC case ??

We will be having a pukka strike !!

PUKKA PUNKAH WALLAHS UNION

@Gleb

If your precious bits get that seriously hot, then either (1) you are not doing something right or (2) you've not got her sufficiently worked up and lubricated ...

Suggested treatment: petroleum jelly

Thumb Down

All this to save a couple of watts?

All this to save a couple of watts?

I think I'll stick with the electrically driven version - at least then the mobo can monitor (as well as control) the fan speed; better that my PC goes beep instead of bang!

Why not pass the heat through a peltier effect pump? Some of that juice could be fed back to the supply so the PC takes less power - the Seebeck Effect (that's good for more than a couple of watts anyway).

Black Helicopters

I'd always wondered if a stirling engine would cool a CPU.

Apparently not, since it's only on the north-bridge.

I'd been tempted to try this myself with a unit from Kontax, but they cost over £100.

@Ian Rogers

In addition to criticising Mr Lai before checking his calculations, you refer to centigrade, rather than Celsius. The centigrade scale was abandoned in 1954 - you may not have been aware there was a difference.

Look up centigrade Celsius in google.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums