back to article Confidential Home Office data turns up in laptop on eBay

Yet more confidential UK government files may have been mislaid by public servants. However, in a sign that Whitehall may be raising its game slightly, this time the data was encrypted - and the copies originally lost have been recovered. The Guardian reports today that a small IT-repair firm near Bolton received a laptop on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Coat

its only recently

That government computers come with motorized cupholder / donut trays ..

( push the little button that says 'eject' on the front of the computer )

I'm amazed it wasn't an 8 inch 200 K byte single sided floppy disk ....

Thumb Down

I sometimes wonder...

..If the Reg is still in the business of reporting news or looking for a good reason to slander an unliked agency/corporation.

Everyone who reads now knows you can recover encryption keys from RAM, why try to hold it against the gov that their encrypted drive could be subject to this. And what kind of speculation is that they 'could have written they keys down'...

Come on guys. At least it *was* encrypted this time.

Panasonic CF-41

I have two of these. The optical drives are under the keyboard, and top-loading; a clip on the front allows the keyboard to hinge up to access the drive, which looks like the top-loading CD drive on some cheap old stereos.

The whole story smells of BS to me though.

Coat

The force

"However, in certain unusual circumstances a savvy attacker can lift the keys from computer memory."

That's what these guys were trying to do - they lifted the keys then found the CD...

Happy

hmmm....

Watch out, Beadles about?

or Intel CD Inside?

Dum, dum dum de dum!

Anonymous Coward

Encryption Myth

The owner of the shop did not actually say that the disk was encrypted - all he said is that he put it in a CD drive and 'it would not boot, or anything'. 'Encryption' was then assumed by the interviewer and has obviously since become 'the truth'.

Coat

Never mind whats on it, its a crap designed Laptop

Of course -you realise they sold it cos they dropped the thing, hence the CD slipping out of the tray into the machine.

This demonstrates an extremely poor build and I myself have pulled a disc from an end-users machine guts.

Makes a nice 'nails on chalkboard' numbing screech.

Coat

What follows is Home Office - CONFIDENTIAL data:

$d3%*gs6%2kij==(*gs4ga;o3r9878rqb;fI8hfob;o8;nEIUF;efu .baFEK.J.KJ

Someone call in Sherlock.

Dead Vulture

Does TheRegister believe in proper journalism?, part deux

"The possibility also exists of the encrypted government files having been copied, which is much easier than decrypting them - although not as trivially easy as copying normal unprotected files."

Have you ever actually used a computer? This sentence is garbage. A file is a file and copying it is exactly as easy regardless of whether it's a file full of plain text or encrypted gibberish. How on earth did you manage to type this without stopping short and saying "Hang on a minute, I'm talking complete bollocks"? You really ought to read back your text sometime in between writing it and posting it on the site, because there's really no excuse for this kind of pathetic blooper.

Black Helicopters

This story is so full of holes and stinks it must be a piece of Gruyere

When you start asking the right questions on this story and the others in the 'data loss' debacle in which are our 'responsible' government leaders are involved in then nothing stands up to scrutiny. WTF is going on? Why aren't the media showing that this is all nonsense, like 'it's too expensive to create a subset of data from a rdbms so we sent the whole db', who would have that sort of access anyway?

Why hide a cd in a laptop? April 1st gets earlier every year . . .

Come on you guys, get real. Who's doing what to whom here?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums