back to article Redmond puts key Vista update on ice

Microsoft has suspended distribution of one of the updates required for Vista service pack one (SP1), after customers complained that their PCs wouldn’t boot up properly once KB937287 had been applied. The servicing stack update, which was pushed out to the Windows Update site last week, is an essential part of the Vista SP1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

same old tune with a new lyric

Hmmmm....bitch bitch bitch bitch.....

WAAA, my windows95 sucks wind compared to my old win3.1

WAAA, my windows98 sucks wind compared to my old win95

WAAA, my windowsME sucks wind compared to my old win98 (actually the only one that really did suck more than the predecessor)

WAAA, my windows2000 sucks wind compared to my old win98/me/95

WAAA, my windowsXP sucks wind compared to my old win2k/98/me/95...etc

Noticing a trend here?

Lots of crying because of a virtual inability to "get it" when new technology comes along. Just bitch about it because you cannot figure out how to resolve a problem. 20 years in the industry, and it is the same old broken record, just another face unwilling to actually use that damn brain and figure it out.

An acronym I heard in the past fits most suitably to this situation. Cannot Understand New Technology. Stop being one and RTFM. Anyone still have parents who cannot figure out how to set the clock on their VCR from 20 years ago? I do.

Is it any wonder that IT staff are considered rude and obnoxious to some people. After being asked the same stupid question the 100th time, patience is the first casualty in this world where the end user is too damn lazy to read that damn manual.

And of course, you have the uber-geeks touting Linux. Yep, unleash that puppy on a novice and see how far they get to actually using it for daily things beyond web surfing and email. Sorry, windows might be a security risk in some eyes (not mine, I know what I am doing), but Linux hasn't got the easy to use right out of the box for the ignorant SOB who refuses to read a manual. If you are a Linux user, you have to do a lot of reading to get the gist of how to really use that OS for its power. Security is only a footnote in comparison. At least for the most part, windows is far more intuitive than Linux currently is.

And as a final note, Vista has been working great for me. Even better than XP in some cases. And 5 minutes after I installed it, I figured out how to turn off the annoying nag screen that seemed to be the most prevalent complaint.

As a side comment, the Mac commercial that poked fun at that nag issue. The pot calling the kettle black. As many Mac users should know, this nag is almost identical to the nag the Mac OS will give when installing new things and changing things. Only the words and picture are different, the function is still the same.

Thumb Up

No problems.

Ive got it running on my hp laptop and my homebuilt with no problems whatsoever.

Happy

Linux / OSX lovers

John Freas, I loved your comments, and I agree.

Linux is not ready for the masses...YET. With the open dev community I'm really surprised it's taken so long and we've seen so little fruit when it comes to the linux gui.

The amateurs at Apple seemed to have had little difficulty putting a front end onto a *nix core OS. Why, then, you Linux lovers, has it taken you so long? You're much smarter than the 50 or so coders at Apple.

Speaking of OSX, it's full of bugs, etc. Take a look at BugTraq. How come? It's new. Apple's never really had a place in the "real world" before, and the coders are newbies at dealing with real security issues inherent with an intel based OS.

Personally, I truly wish there were a GOOD, SIMPLE TO USE Linux distro..I'd switch from WinBlows in a heartbeat.

Perhaps by (insert stupid animal name here) 16.7 OSX will be a mature OS such as *nix is....or, dare I say, Windows XP, but, until there is software to run on an OS that the masses can operate with little or no difficulty, (2 fold problem there), we're forced to us MicroCrap OS'.

Stop with the immature "Get a REAL OS" garbage...and look at the real world around you....

Linux

I know a vista lover

believe it or not I saw one today, running Vista on a mac notebook because he could not find any XP drivers for the display and things. Vista runs fine but he has not run SP1 yet; he may dual boot with ubuntu.

Linux

but think of the children...

I have... so I've ordered the 10 yr old an eee running xandros, though I might hack it for ubuntu 8.04 when that is released in April. School is attempting to tell them that you need M$ Word to write a letter , and that you need M$ PowerPoint to do a simple drawing. I actually had my kid crying when I showed him Office 2004 (student edition) on the Mac and Open Office on the Ubuntu 7.10 ktorrent download box, he was insisting that he had to do the same as his teacher told him.

After a bit of 1:1 teaching, he's happy using Pages on OS X, and Keynote on OSX and - you might not believe this - he's getting top marks in class for his projects (half 'cos they look so good) (mostly 'cos they look how he wants and he had the time to build the design properly) I take my work Vista Laptops home so that the kids can play the 2 or 3 new games bundled with the shiny but utterly slow cr@p, and they play the rest of time on Shiny Apples and recycled Linuxes.

I think it's important to open up the childrens perspective on computing, as lets face it, for those of us who typed pages of BASIC commands into a ZX81 in a previous life, then later learned IBM VM/CMS, whatever we do at age ten isn't how the world is going to be when we grow up . Microsoft, unless they complete their long term total world domination project, will not be around in ubiquitous computing in 15 years.

This iced Vista update is just a small part of their inevitable decline and fall. Think of the children, give them a *nix based laptop and prepare them for the future.

As IBM said. "Think!" As Apple said "Think Different!" as Microsoft said "WGA!!"

IT Angle

Entertaining!

Read the whole thread...some entertaining and colorful comments for sure. I think that I might have the answer to the point that was raised re: why MS-related issues seem to get a "lot of exposure" compared to *nix-related issues. It has to do with the transaction and ownership process: when software is purchased (actually, more like rented if you get right down to the EULA) from MS, the customer's involvement is to hand over the cash, and then use the product. They depend on MS to take care of them, and have no recourse if and when things "go south" but to complain (and possibly submit an error report).

The *nix group, on the other hand, usually gets their software for nothing, and tends to be a bit more self-sufficient as they provide much of their own support via web support sites. So if and when things go south, they take action themselves and need to vocalize less, having taken more ownership of their system. The big issue with this flaky MS update is that it requires MS-users to take some action (system restore or system rebuild). Just my theory...

Gates Halo

Vista STILL running just fine...

Yes, eight months down, no crashes, freezes, conflicts... Just happy PC using.

Go figure.

Dead Vulture

Vista Updates

This is really confusing - apparently two of the prerequisite KB updates aren't being made available to Vista Ultimate.

Then why are they on my (Vista Ultimate) PC?

As with any new M$ Operating System there's bugs and problems - I honestly prefer Vista to XP Pro. Every time I have to go back to an XP Pro computer I spend 5 minutes remembering how to do something that would be so simple in Vista.

But I will be bulk buying some XP Pro licences in case of problems....

Oh and to all the Penguin fanboys - we have to use M$ products as that's what my company's clients require - and I'm glad.

(PS I have a life - I don't go home from work and spend the rest of the day tweaking the latest issue of fluffy bunny or what-ever-its-called-and-no-I'm-not-interested-either ubuntu so it will actually work with all my devices. If you enjoy fine - but I'll never take you seriously so don't try)

@David Hixson-Ward

I also run XP because my employer requires me to. But only on one machine - I prefer my machines to just work, so they're running Ubuntu 7.10. Works with all my devices - some old, some obscure as hell, some bleeding edge - and required absolutely no tweaking on any of my systems.

This whole idea that people who use linux must love tweaking it, and that linux requires a lot of dicking around in the console to keep it running, is a few years out of date. My 7.10 machines require a lot less dicking around than my 'work' XP machine.

Thumb Up

Coincidence

As if by magic Windows update on my Vista 64 bit machine has just offered me SP1. I am just a regular user!! Seem they are shipping early.

CJ

IT Angle

Muppet

Is what I call anyone installing a pre-release on client machines and then moaning it isn't working.

Joke

LoL

R.I.P : Vista - the pretty but useless child of the Microsoft inbreeding program.

Step 1: format hd

Step 2: reinstall xp sp2 (or linux distro of your choice)

Step 3: enjoy a system that works

Step 4: pop vista dvd into microwave for 90 - 120 secs (@ 500w) and also enjoy a new fractal patterned ashtray (remember to tape up the hole)

My take on Vista vs. XP vs. Linux

... a couple of you have alluded to it, with talk of high-end hardware, 1Gb ram & so on. I'm using an old Dell Inspiron laptop with 512Mb ram, running Windows XP. So, when I finally upgrade to a high end desktop, tons of ram, all mod cons, everything should run faster, right?

Applications should load faster & open documents faster, web pages should load & render faster, games will be playable at higher resolutions & video speeds - right?

But instead, the minimum hardware requirements for the OS have gone up. Why do I need a more powerful machine to do exactly the same things on Vista, as compared to XP, at roughly the same level of performance?

So, I'm looking at Ubuntu now so that I can have options for my new machine. Former Redhat user (4.2) - a lot has changed. And yes, I expect to spend a little more time actually getting it working, but it'll be worth it, in my opinion...

Thumb Down

vista sp1 beta

To those of you like me that installed the Beta of Vista SP1, Beware!....after waiting 9 full hours while vista tried to uninstall the beta version of SP1 from my pc (required if you want to install the RTM version), and several BSOD's later, the operation failed after reaching 100% and now the machine is several hours into the backout from the "uninstall".

Thumb Down

Vista hardware requirements

I have a couple of new Vista - I think they are 'Dull' XPS 2 x 2.20GHz Core2Duo laptops with 2GB ram each, came from Dell Canada, tax free, long story.

Nice shiny screen, very bright - after 5 minutes unuse the screen dims to 50%, and for a week I couldn't find how to make it bright again other than after a restart. the GUI is filled with hundreds of clickable things, most of which won't go away or do what I expect, it will NOT connect to my home 802.11n WPA Wifi using 802.11b/g compatibility, it will only try and connect to a neighbours WEP network, even when I put the Vista on top of the Wifi router. I went as far as loading the driver dvd for my Wifi. Still no connection. When I found an old 802.11g+ Wifi router and plugged in a subnet of my 802.11n then finally Vista connected. It popped up a screen, amongst many others, which mentioned that there might be problems with my Vista. of the 2 firewalls installed, both were off.

After reading the page several times I realised it might want me to do something, I downloaded a few KBxxxxxxx.exe which 'were necessary on my system', these ran and stated that 'your system does not need KBxxxxxxx', so all clear then!

And it is dog-slow. of the 2GB ram, I was informed - running only a diagnostic program that 750MB is free. Ubuntu would do the h/w justice!!! Vista Personal Ultimate is ME2. Where's the ice?

Alert

@David Shaw

From the explanation you give it sounds like you have the same problem as most of the people complaining about Vista - You just don't know how to configure and use it. It means you now have to learn something new. And for those claiming OSX or (insert preferred linux here) is the answer, to move from xp to either of those the learning curve is just as steep - in some versions of linux MUCH steeper.

Most of the anti-Vista arguments (and quite a lot of the problems) are exactly the same as when XP was introduced (why do I need so much RAM, why doesn't this work, how do I....., bring back 98) and the same as when OSX was launched (don't like the interface, where is...., why can't I......, this doesn't work) and I have no doubt that many of the complainers have either

a) never used it

b) seen it once on somebody elses computer and decided they didn't like it

c) so anti-microsoft they won't give anything by them a chance

d) installed it, couldn't figure it out in 5 mins so removed it

Thumb Down

This the fix right?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Its part of the the security updates also. So i have a Non-IT person having a problem with this.. The machine has to go back to PC world of course they dont get given the install disk.

very poor show, I cant believe you can break into the loop.

Happy

Glad we have options

OK, so, I liked Windows Vista. I thought they made some AWESOME improvements in it, and generally, I think they are heading the right direction and with great change is coming quite a bit of pain.

I was on linux for a year. It's a great OS. It has it's pro's and con's. Then, I switched to XP, then to Vista. Loved Vista over XP (but, granted, I had to throw a lot more ram at it). It had it's quirks. SP1 fixed a lot of them for me, and I was glad to participate in the beta.

Recently, I hopped over to a mac. I had a lot of problems with Leopard until Leopard 10.5.2 came out (which fixed a lot of my issues, thanks apple!).

Windows (and linux) has a bit more burden to carry than Apple, because it allows you to install it on just about any hardware out there. I'm just grateful progress is being made and that the options all exist.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums