back to article Bush orders US Navy to shoot down rogue spy sat

The US Navy will attempt to shoot down a malfunctioning American spy satellite before it falls to Earth, the Pentagon has confirmed. The plan has been approved by President George Bush, citing concern over toxic hydrazine fuel aboard the spacecraft. However, a top analyst has suggested the US is actually worried about secret …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Pirate

Place your Bets, Please.

"If you were greedy and/or like Putin, Russia would probably give the best price." ... By Anonymous Coward Posted Sunday 17th February 2008 16:05 GMT

Greed does not come into IT at all, AC. IT has any number of Real Commercial Values, which can only be set by Markets with Interest/Needs.

Mr Putin's words do not support any thought of greed but may well warrant reward ..."As for my personal feeling, I am not ashamed to stand before the people who twice gave me their votes and elected me to be President of the Russian Federation. I have worked like a galley slave throughout these eight years, morning till night, and I have given all I could to this work. I am happy with the results."

Some leaders do not even dare to go to the country for support and therefore must be judged right dodgy leaderships ...... and definitely probably more driven by greed.

2. Onionman
    Unhappy

Will it hit Blighty

You might think the chances of this hitting anyone are slim, but as a sufferer of keraunothnetophobia* I can assure you that some of us have cause to worry.

Love,

Onionman.

* Look it up yourself. I had to.

3. Andy Worth

Re:Curious...

In which case, it probably has about a 1-in-1000 chance of hitting somewhere populated, the only time that the fuel would be a toxicity issue.

The reasoning makes no sense if you believe the story they tell you does it? They let hundreds of other objects (of a decent size) fall into the atmosphere every year but are worried about this particular one?

Nah....pull the other one....they wouldn't waste the cost of this missile unless that satellite had something on it that it really shouldn't have.

4. Gordon Crawford

think , It is even deeper and more evil

I'll bite, and take the bet,

A ] Georges investments in war stock forgot to take into account of missiles,we are not USAing enough any more in his wars..

B ] It is harder then you can imagine to shot a falling sat down [when you are really aiming at someone else's sat. behind your sat.] (oh sorry, we did not realize that your sat. was behind our target...but we sorta got ours )

C ] and still hit some target with the debris ( " we did our best to prevent this from happening, but it was an act of GOD")

the tri fecta

ahh no, I'm gonna take my coat off and stay, they already know where i might go.

5. Mark Ashworth
    Happy

So the US are going to shoot something.

I take it that this means they'll probably hit Milton Keynes then.....

on second thoughts, no loss there then.

6. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Pirate

Notting Hill/Conservative Central Office Rebuke/Cuff round the Ear.

"You might think the chances of this hitting anyone are slim, but as a sufferer of keraunothnetophobia* I can assure you that some of us have cause to worry.

Love,

Onionman." ......By Onionman Posted Monday 18th February 2008 08:20 GMT

Onionman,

Have no Fear, there is more than enough Energy Psychology Solutions/Virtualised Therapy available.

Presently we are Realising IT but Virtual Global Governance is somewhat Novel and the Status Quo Establishment are all in a Tither about what to do with IT whenever Introduced to ITs Plays. A Pregnant Silence is their Irrational Fear Response which leaves them Following in ITs Wake rather than Inputting Lead ....... and how Stupid is that?

cc Neither Tory Toff nor Twit.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Thieves! Thieves!

John R Pike said;

"The Chinese and the Russians spend an enormous amount of time trying to steal American technology..."

Why would they want to do that?

Unless the Lizards gave it to the US and so it would be more advanced than whatever the Russians and Chinese have thought of (not what they are actually using)?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Ade

Although the orbit path does not pass over North America at this very moment, remember that the Earth rotates and therefore the points at which the orbit passes over the Equator circle the globe once every 24 hours. That satellite could land literally anywhere on the planet between 60 degrees north and 60 degrees south of the Equator.

9. Nick
    Flame

I see

They are either testing their new toy out or have something that they shouldnt on their sat. My guess is Bush wants to test his new toy.

10. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Boffin

Software as a Special IntelAIgents Service

"The Chinese and the Russians spend an enormous amount of time trying to steal American technology..."

Might I venture that they spend their dwindling value dollar currency, to whatever amount would be appropriate to Technology Use, on Betas independent of State Controls. The Private Sector will deliver whatever is required, in whatever flavour/colour/strength that one would wish for. It has always done so.

Stealing American technology, behind the times and from behind their lines, is an enormous waste of time. One merely needs to see where it has led them to know where their technology leads...... which is presently trying to stave off Meltdown and Home Anarchy because of Gross Mismanagement of the American Dream.

This would allow the new Dollar Stakeholders to further BetaTest their Independent State Controls and Offer Versions Upgraded and Bespoke Tailored to Wider Needs. ...... Win Win if you Dare.

And the Egghead Boffin because Skull and Bones are so Yesterday ..... The King is dead. Long live the King. Vroom Vroom rather than Boom Boom.

11. Stan

Watch the news....

...not the lead story though. The yanks have been at this for years, doing the dirty work while some big issue is grabbing the headlines. God only knows who they are going to slaughter or what dodgy decisions will be made while the world soaks up the blabberings of the 'experts' and ooh's and aah's over the el-cheapo projected paths on the news channels.

Still, I doubt the info was released deliberately, they stand to get a lot of egg on their face if they miss. Keeping my fingers crossed they miss and have to ask china to bail them out :)

cheers

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.